Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another post from the racer in training - Opinions on driving suite?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:26 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another post from the racer in training - Opinions on driving suite?

I know you guys love my silly posts on "what to do" so here's another one.

Am considering one of two suites(mostly due to pricing and local availability). The Bell APEX GP and the Gforce 545.

The Bell is a 3 layer and the Gforce is a 2 layer but both are 3.2/5a rated.

The bell is a little more expensive but it is a 3 layer and I'm told has a higher resistance to burn thru(i forget the term/raiting).

Any opinions on either brand?

Apparently Bell is getting out of the apparel side and sticking to helmits only.

I already have a bell helmit and gforce gloves/shoes, not that it matters to me that everything matches. I suppose I should try them on and go with the one that fits best ?? The whole reason I am shopping for a suite is because my current one(which I bought used) is just a little too snug in the waist area and its uncomfy after its on for some time. Don't laugh but I can't really loose any more weight

Tom
Old 07-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

A suite is a room, had me wondering where they had "driving suites"!

Not sure how a 2 layer and 3 layer suit can be rated the same but if true I would always choose the lightest one that fits best..
Old 07-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.

Not sure how a 2 layer and 3 layer suit can be rated the same but if true I would always choose the lightest one that fits best..
The fabric used will determine rating. While the thread is still nomex they are woven differently and that can have an impact on how it burns.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I bought a GForce karting suit off their website and the fit was not even close to their sizing charts, almost like someone sewed an XL tag in a medium suit. Quality is about what you would expect from a discounted budget suit. They wouldn't exchange it without making me pay shipping both ways, the shipping costs were nearly the same cost as the suit so I just returned it. Make sure you try it on before buying.

If I were you I would look at the closeout and discontinued suits at places like OG Racing, Saferacer, and Driving Impressions. You can probably find a high quality suit that has been discounted to the same price as a cheaper lower quality suit.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:21 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary R.

Oops, so muc for spell checking

Tom
Old 07-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

When looking at suits that all are SFI 3.2/5 as the price goes up the weight goes down. A less expensive 3 layer suit will be heavier and not breath as well as a suit that is in a higher price range. We have several great suits on hour closeout page here: http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/3-Closeouts/232-Suits

These are only on closeout because the manufacturers have either redesigned the suits, or have made slight changes to them.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:39 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Snazzy looking racers like to get the same brand for all the gear. Budget racer get what works and is a good price. Experinced racers usally have mix since they replace things at different rates.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:03 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a great deal on a closeout Sparco from the OG page Mark listed. It is worth a few more bucks for something lighter as it will be more comfy when you are sitting it a very hot car in the middle of the summer.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:22 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Well, almost all my hard earned cash is invested in my RV so I'm a penny pincher every where else..

I found a couple prospects on the OG, teamdi, and other sites but I am very hesitant to go mail order vs trackside/local vendor for simplicity of trying on the sucker before I shell out the $$

In the past I've run across a few locals selling their old suits but they were all too big for me. I'm hanging in at a whopping 153lbs at 5'9". That said, there are some really great deals online(like 300 dollar and under range) which is why I've been dragging my feet on a replacement suit.

like this one...
http://www.teamdi.com/index.php?page...mart&Itemid=61

or

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/3-Cl...HOUSE-CLOSEOUT

""Of course if that foxy looking gal were included with the sparco suit on the OG site, I'd be sold !"" :O

this is the one I was leaning towards....
http://www.usracegear.com/product/4545

Tom
Old 07-22-2010, 03:27 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody tried a Lyco suit (Sparco's downmarket brand)?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:21 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my first suit used. but you want one that fits for sure. You might try buying a used suit first before you make the big buy so you know what you are looking for. You can buy used NASCAR suits and a good deal here: http://www.raceimage.com/index.asp
Old 07-23-2010, 08:41 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Hey Frank,
I already have a used suit but it's just a tad snug in the midsection.

Spoke with Craig at US Racegear yesterday and he's bringing a few different ones to the track for me to try on. I'll just post my current suit for sale and recoup that $ i hope.

Tom
Old 07-23-2010, 08:41 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Whatever you decide on make sure it fits! Nothing worse than a baggy suit bunched up behind your back when your strapped into the seat..I like the Sparco suits...I see Flying Lizards are selling their old suits off...Stand 21 and Sparco suits for a heckuva deal! Especially the Stand 21....BTW, I have your header...stop by in the morning or just grab it out of the bed of my truck.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:09 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Was good to see ya Brant. Thanks again for the header !!

I'll be there next month too, hopefully chasing you guys around.

Tom
Old 07-26-2010, 10:41 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a Sparco F1 Advanced....sure its pricey but when I tried on other less expensive, but same rated, suits they were all significantly heavier and HOTTER....just standing in the shop I could feel the difference...

Quick Reply: Yet another post from the racer in training - Opinions on driving suite?