Sponsored by:

F1 Experience at Monticello

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:45 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Seriously now. What chance that anyone likely to pay-to-play to drive an F1 car would have a ghost of a chance of being able to get it around a lap in one piece?

There's some great video of Chris Harris [Porsche Supercup, VLN series, plus drove the RS Spyder at Le Mans a few years back] trying his hand in Mark Webber's old Jaguar F1 that Martin Brundle was preparing for Goodwood a few years back. Chris is a good shoe, but it took every bit of his skill to handle a few laps in the F1 car. If you haven't seen it, its great video and a serious dose of reality[click the embedded player below to see the full wide screen version on YouTube]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb8N6bGOvkY

Thanks for sharing that. It just goes to show that us armchair racers have no idea what it's like. Here is a guy that raced the RS Spyder at Le Mans and he was in awe of a 13 year old F1 car and was tiptoing around. WOW. Mucho respect to these drivers and gives me more appreciation for what Schumi is doing coming back to these beasts after a 3 year layoff.

BTW, I miss the sound of the V10s
Old 07-22-2010, 01:41 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Revealing, eh?
Its worth looking at all three 'parts' of the video story. This is part 2. You should see the other two when you click through to the You Tube page. Its really interesting to hear Martin Brundle's briefing before Chris gets in the car, especially about heat management. Basically, he say you have to drive it hard to keep the tires and the brakes working - at all! Once they cool off there is nothing you can do to get them up to operating temp again. Fascinating stuff.

This was very early morning on a test day at Silverstone. Ambient temps around freezing, and patches of ice on track. Not ideal conditions, but enough to show how seriously serious these cars really are. Not for the faint hearted, nor anyone prone to getting ambition confused with ability.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great clip that shows how difficult it is to be an F1 racing driver, yet quite often you hear or read a comment that: "anyone could drive these cars", "Formula 1 drivers are not a pinnacle of racing drivers" etc. etc... Yeah right.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:15 PM
speedbump2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
There it is again... "...to take on the 4.1 mile track." They have 4.1 miles paved, but even in the longest configuration it's only about 3.7 miles. Not a big deal, just interesting that they continue to overstate the length, implying that's what you drive...
I was at MMC yesterday morning, and it looked like they had the Vulcan F1 car relegated to the South course because there were club members running on the North course.
But I left at Noon, so they may have had access to the full track in the afternoon.

And, as stated above, the full course is just over three and a half miles. They must be counting all the track detours that separate the the track, as well as the extra chicanes, "bus stops", Pit lanes, and infield service roads.

--Chuck--
Old 07-22-2010, 12:23 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I note in the first sentence: "modern F1 car." Uh huh.

Anyway, F1 at whatever level is quite entertaining. A couple of years ago I got plugged into a vintage F1 test at Thunderhill. Ended up running with an ex-Andretti Lotus 77 (the last of the pre-ground effects cars). It was so memorable to be out there, tucked tight on the Hewland and getting sick from the hydrocarbons as he would punch it and leave me out of the corners. Then I had to run for all I was worth to catch back up. Granted we were probably 10 sec/lap off of what the car was capable of, but I was on my limit in my car. I know it's the closest I'll get to F1, and it didn't cost me anything extra.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

'A fool and his money are soon parted' ... I can see why their marketing department didn't go with this
Old 07-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My biggest problem, aside from money is that I always felt I could give Sato a run. If I begin to question myself and my theory what will I be left with?
Old 07-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 917962
My biggest problem, aside from money is that I always felt I could give Sato a run. If I begin to question myself and my theory what will I be left with?
Anyone could give Sato a run and for sure he'd end up with more broken carbon fiber bits on track than any rookie wealthy business man who drives an F1 car for the first time...

This begs a question though, am I the only Rennlister who has beaten an active F1 driver?
(I admit, it was Liuzzi and in a million euros simulator rather than a real car but still, that has to count for something...)
Old 07-22-2010, 03:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Anyone could give Sato a run and for sure he'd end up with more broken carbon fiber bits on track than any rookie wealthy business man who drives an F1 car for the first time...

Do not tempt fate.
Insult the Takuma Sato fan club at your own risk

You have been warned...
Old 07-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc

Do not tempt fate.
Insult the Takuma Sato fan club at your own risk

You have been warned...
All I want to know if there is any type of car in the World Sato hasn't crashed...?
(below is an example what happens when someone stupid enough lets Sato do few parade laps in a historic Formula 1 car...)
Attached Images   
Old 07-23-2010, 01:05 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,281 Likes on 1,938 Posts

I guess if Sato's average race distance is half a lap, it wouldn't be that much to rent him the car would it?.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:30 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
All I want to know if there is any type of car in the World Sato hasn't crashed...?
Clearly another demonstration of Sato boldly going where no one else dares go in a car's handling envelope.
He has found the limit for just about every type of race car...
Old 07-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
Says you get "over 30 miles" of driving, so 8 laps at almost $1k per lap...
Anyone want to split a lap?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

$7K for 30 miles?
I hope they throw in a massage,...with the happy ending.

Quick Reply: F1 Experience at Monticello