Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Motive Power bleeder hoses

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 05:19 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably a good time to get the swiveling Black Label top machine and run it dry. No kinks -
Yup I've got em for 67
Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

Why run it dry? Then you constantly have to remove it, top off the master cylinder, then reinstall it.

Just put the brake fluid in the motive, bleed the brakes and call it a day.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Perfect timing to do this mod...

In my case I used regular rubber hose clamps instead of the one-time use shown in the photo.

This makes it easier to screw the cap on the brake canister and then connect to the Motive bleeder unit. Also great if you have different adapters (I use mine to help a few friends with GM cars).

To replace the hoses I just went to the local Lowes or Home Depot and got some reinforced oil resistance clear hose... unit has been working like a champ. And yes, I like it wet...
Old 07-19-2010, 06:25 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

All the fluid slime in the canister will attract LOADS of moisture. Bad idea -
The following users liked this post:
9914s (11-11-2022)
Old 07-19-2010, 06:28 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

That's why you clean it out in between uses.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by docwyte
That's why you clean it out in between uses.
+1... I don't store the fluid in the canister... and the unit gets cleaned after each use... So far I have been good at guessing how much fluid to put in the canister. If there is anything left unused in the canister I discard it.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:08 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Hard to get all the slime out - container and the tiny hoses. Still don't recommend it.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:34 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Hard to get all the slime out - container and the tiny hoses. Still don't recommend it.
Easy to clean in well under one min. Spray brake cleaner in the cap while holding it up like a funnel with the rest of the Motive dangling. Let the cleaner clean the inside of the cap, the gasket and then run through the hose into the tank cleaning the hose and dip tube. Spray more in the tank and slosh it around and out onto some news paper or whatever. Repeat if needed. The cleaner will flash dry leaving only the small amount of brake fluid rinsed out on the paper. Spray the pump a little and you are Done. Store the cap gasket in the tank or it will fall out at some point and get lost.

I have always wondered why people risk flooding air into the system, having to check and fill and check and fill depressurising and repressurising each time. I like to spend my time and effort on a good flush and inspecting the system as the fluid runs out not looking at and topping the fluid level 10 times. Another nice thing about using it wet is you add fluid into the tank while away from the car not leaning over and pouring inside the car.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:07 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

amen to that...
Old 07-28-2010, 08:30 AM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flushing exact quantities thru the system is easy to determine by marking the side of the reservoir jug and catch jug with a black marker. I used to bleed with a dry reservoir jug in order to avoid pressure leak mishap at the Motive jug. Now I fill reservoir jug with a liter and use a 10 foot long vinyl tube to reduce possibility of paint damage. I clean out mine with rubbing alcohol.

Motive's simple design is ok. But poorly manufactured with extremely cheap components.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:06 AM
U4EEAH
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soooo much easier to run it dry and have no clean up for regular bleeding. Once a year, for complete flush I fill Motive
Old 07-28-2010, 09:38 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Via testing I found that the fluid in reservoir had the highest moisture content. Pushing this fluid closer to the heated portions of the system might be counter productive. For a track car this is moot as the fluid is likley close to the dry boil point throughout but in older fluid a partial bleed might only put more water in the heated areas.
Old 11-05-2022, 04:31 PM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Resurrecting this thread. I was bleeding brakes this morning and the tubing kept cracking. I replaced both ends twice to get me through the procedure. I'll get some of the vinyl tubing locally and will do the pictured mod in the quote below. Using the air line plug and coupler is a great idea for a bleeder without the swivel cap. Thanks for posting this!

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Perfect timing to do this mod...

In my case I used regular rubber hose clamps instead of the one-time use shown in the photo.

This makes it easier to screw the cap on the brake canister and then connect to the Motive bleeder unit. Also great if you have different adapters (I use mine to help a few friends with GM cars).

To replace the hoses I just went to the local Lowes or Home Depot and got some reinforced oil resistance clear hose... unit has been working like a champ. And yes, I like it wet...
Old 11-06-2022, 08:55 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

After every use of the Motive power bleeder, I drain remaining brake fluid and flush with denatured alcohol.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:15 AM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
After every use of the Motive power bleeder, I drain remaining brake fluid and flush with denatured alcohol.
Me too. Doing that made the original hose last 10 years, but it finally went kaput.

Quick Reply: Replacing Motive Power bleeder hoses