Sponsored by:

IRP Road course-DE

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 03:09 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IRP Road course-DE

Has anyone driven IRP, Indiana Raceway Park, 15 turn 2.5 mile road course recently, I am thinking about approaching them to do a DE there and wondered if anyone has any experience running that road course there?
Old 07-20-2010, 03:29 PM
scottmartin
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IRP

Last time i was it IRP, 2005, it was rough. You used the drag straight and it was very slick. We did not like the track that well. Perhaps Putnam would be a better choice. Scott
Old 07-20-2010, 04:48 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

+1 what scott said.

I roadraced motorcycles there in mid / late 90's and the last turn dumps you onto the drag strip. If there is "any" moisture, you get a nice slip and slide down the strip. All they did for us bikers was put haybails in front of the wall that was between the begiinning of the two drag lanes at the burn out box area. Part of the road course went thru the back parking lot too. Granted that was quite some time ago but I think they(WERA) stopped running bikes there.

Oh yeah, Memphis Motorsports park was a similar deal too, dumps you on to the drag strait ! The traction inhibitor was ok in dry but any rain and call it a day.

Tom
Old 07-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

PCA held a couple of club races there in the 90's. I ran in the last one and agree with the previous posters that it was very rough. My recollection also is that there was an area of the road course towards the southeast end that was essentially a parking lot used to stage cars for drag races and wasn't very interesting. The PCA club race kept slipping in attendance and eventually was no more, replaced with a race at Putnam.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:32 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Yea- but what Frank really wants to know is if it's worse than Nelsons!
Sounds like the answer is "Yes."
Old 07-21-2010, 03:49 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aeshultz
Yea- but what Frank really wants to know is if it's worse than Nelsons!
Sounds like the answer is "Yes."
Ya Allen I should have asked for an opinion quantifying it in terms of Nelson Ledges.

Thanks guys for your input, I have had some people tell me it was rough and that this was the reason that the ended up building Putnam Park not far away. I was just looking for something different. Our Bluegrass date in October looks Dead again this year and was toying with going to IRP instead.
When the hell are they going to get Bluegrass finished?

Quick Reply: IRP Road course-DE