Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I see pics of your traqmate installations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:38 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Can I see pics of your traqmate installations?

I just got an 07 GT3. I also have a tracqmate/chasecam setup. This is a street car with full interior so my options are limited.

I do not want to tear my interior up and I'd prefer it looks stock if possible.

I am toying with the idea of rigging something that I can take in and out, but I haven't figured out how to secure the equipment. Was thinking about attaching the boxes to a piece of plywood, but I'm not sure how to secure the board so it's not sliding all over the car.

Anyway, let's see how you did it.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:22 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is how I set up a buddies traqmate in his 997TT. Somehow i forgot to take pictures of the display unit and the camera mount. Basically we used those suction cup mounting units for each one. The display is on the drivers side of the steering wheel mounted on the windshield in that corner. The camera is mounted on the other side bottom corner. There is a little mount that will clip into your center vent that you can put your display unit on, another buddy of mine has that in his gt3, but i don't know where he got it from. I can send him an email and ask.
For the actual unit.......

This is all mounted underneath the black cowl.

Should have used a black wire, but that is what he brought me.

The gps antennae is mounted down on the plastic cowl just behind the center of the hood between the wipers. 3M VHB tape, and it blends right in.

I've got to go do some work on the car on Friday, i'll take more pictures then.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:42 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Thats pretty slick. I haven't actually got to use the TM setup yet. I have all the parts scattered on my desk at home. Came out of buddies race car. I know some people put the chase cam recorder in the passenger compartment. Is that necessary? I guess what I'm asking is how often do you really need to get in there to push buttons and what not?

Thanks for the great ideas. I think I'll rip you off

What did you do about rpm and brake sensors for the TM connections?
Old 07-15-2010, 12:47 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Come to think of it... I bet the Cam box would fit nicely in that little storage box with the handle just above it. Mine has nothing in it. Maybe the TT uses that for something.

That's great that the TM box will fit under the cowel. Ditton on the location for the GPS antenna. This install keeps the wiring minimal, with only cables run to the interior for the display and the camera.

I would love to have the cam mounted on the rear window facing forward to catch me and the road, but there probably isn't a clean way to get the cabling back there.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:49 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is recommended that the SU be close to the CG of the car.

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
This is how I set up a buddies traqmate in his 997TT. Somehow i forgot to take pictures of the display unit and the camera mount. Basically we used those suction cup mounting units for each one. The display is on the drivers side of the steering wheel mounted on the windshield in that corner. The camera is mounted on the other side bottom corner. There is a little mount that will clip into your center vent that you can put your display unit on, another buddy of mine has that in his gt3, but i don't know where he got it from. I can send him an email and ask.
For the actual unit.......

This is all mounted underneath the black cowl.

Should have used a black wire, but that is what he brought me.

The gps antennae is mounted down on the plastic cowl just behind the center of the hood between the wipers. 3M VHB tape, and it blends right in.

I've got to go do some work on the car on Friday, i'll take more pictures then.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:08 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

It is... But I'm sure this is close enough. Especially for a hobbyist looking to get some general data about improving times. I've seen them mounted in race cars almost square in the middle, but then again they have no seats and no interior
Old 07-15-2010, 11:59 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup, works great where it is at. I guess if you are a professional where .0001 seconds count, then maybe there is a problem mounting it there, I don't know. Tach picks up at E6 at the ecu IIRC, i'd have to look at my notes. We didn't bother with any brake input. What you will find is the length of cables somewhat limit your mounting options (hence our blue rj45 cable, but there is another that is only so long). You never have to push the buttons up front, it is all done with the display unit. Once you start a session, the video recorder automatically kicks on.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:16 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Yup, works great where it is at. I guess if you are a professional where .0001 seconds count, then maybe there is a problem mounting it there, I don't know. Tach picks up at E6 at the ecu IIRC, i'd have to look at my notes. We didn't bother with any brake input. What you will find is the length of cables somewhat limit your mounting options (hence our blue rj45 cable, but there is another that is only so long). You never have to push the buttons up front, it is all done with the display unit. Once you start a session, the video recorder automatically kicks on.
i just got smartycam setup with odb2 interface - i got to say for a non-pro this little thing does all i could ever want. only major drawback is - it does not register (as ecu does not have such a channel) brake pedal pressure or position but you do get 2d acceleration chart, complete gps data set with track image and your position on it with lap times, throttle pedal position, rpm, speed, engine temp, intake air temp, maf sensor value. i think AIM did a pretty good job with this little cam. just my 2c of non-related info, sorry.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:57 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

So the display unit on the traqmate kicks on the recording?

Do you have any pics of the interior yet? I'd love to see how the TM display and the cam look.

What about audio. The recorder has a built in mic for sound. With the recorder being mounting the front, is the audio decent?
Old 08-16-2010, 09:35 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Pics?

Quick Reply: Can I see pics of your traqmate installations?