Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting an Aerovault - the "Finned" trailer (UPDATE - Received!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Yes.
You going Chris?
Yup. Shacking up in a motorhome from inventory.

Calabogie is my home track. I know a few tricks.

I got coerced into running tech line.

Dave, you just got drafted.

See you Wed/Thurs.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:22 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very cool indeed
Old 07-04-2010, 11:21 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Wow Dave!
So, now I am wondering how long it will take for you to get some "Hello Kitty" "stuff" all over it. (after the orange paint???) ...and then, once that is done, will you be wearing a nomex cat suit in the Spec Boxster class when driving....I'm mean ya gotta be distinctive?????, right?????? I know Cats is comin' to town, soon, know anybody in wardrobe? and a good tailor who could sew in some nomex?
Hey good luck with the new slipstream.....

BTW: whatta ya gonna do with the open trailer???? I wish I was ready to jump into that market
R\
Scott
Old 07-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Yup. Shacking up in a motorhome from inventory.

Calabogie is my home track. I know a few tricks.

I got coerced into running tech line.

Dave, you just got drafted.

See you Wed/Thurs.
Uh Oh. I forget...how many turns do you go after the torque wrench clicks?
I believe Irene and I are working control for both events.

I've been practicing being bilingual:
First call red run group.
Premiere temps grouppe rouge. Or something like that.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Country911
Wow Dave!
So, now I am wondering how long it will take for you to get some "Hello Kitty" "stuff" all over it. (after the orange paint???) ...and then, once that is done, will you be wearing a nomex cat suit in the Spec Boxster class when driving....I'm mean ya gotta be distinctive?????, right?????? I know Cats is comin' to town, soon, know anybody in wardrobe? and a good tailor who could sew in some nomex?
Hey good luck with the new slipstream.....

BTW: whatta ya gonna do with the open trailer???? I wish I was ready to jump into that market
R\
Scott
Hey Scott,
Hope to see you in August at WGI.
Maybe one or two PCA and Coochas logos. I like the clean look of the aluminum. I've been hunting for decent quality HK patches for my driving suit. Most of them seem to be made for little girls. Go figure.
One of my regional PCA friends is interested in buying the trailer. He was inches from pulling the trigger on it when I bought it from its previous owner. There's also another guy from the area who is interested. I'm going to wait until closer to my definite delivery date to make sure I don't end up trailerless at the end of the season.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:38 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been hunting for decent quality HK patches for my driving suit. Most of them seem to be made for little girls. Go figure.
Dave,
Download some images of HK that you like and any embroidery shop can convert them to the proper format and embroider them directly onto your suit, no patches.

I used to do this for my son's suits, rather than sew on sponsor and contingency patches, my wife had them embroidered directly into the suit, which IMHO looks nice.

The cost was very reasonable IIRC; then again when it comes to her son and dogs, I seem to remember something about 'money is no object'
Old 07-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Dave,
Download some images of HK that you like and any embroidery shop can convert them to the proper format and embroider them directly onto your suit, no patches.

I used to do this for my son's suits, rather than sew on sponsor and contingency patches, my wife had them embroidered directly into the suit, which IMHO looks nice.

The cost was very reasonable IIRC; then again when it comes to her son and dogs, I seem to remember something about 'money is no object'
I like that idea Lewis.
Food for thought! I'll just tell them it's my wife's suit which will work well since she's 6 feet and Asian.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:52 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Another idea to consider is rather than painting the trailer, you could apply a vinyl wrap and/or vinyl graphics.
Easily applied and removed/changed.

Any vinyl shop could do orange with HK, again if you just supply the HK image files.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:54 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't mean to pry bro, but what's with the HK motif?
Old 07-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Another idea to consider is rather than painting the trailer, you could apply a vinyl wrap and/or vinyl graphics.
Easily applied and removed/changed.

Any vinyl shop could do orange with HK, again if you just supply the HK image files.
Like this?

Originally Posted by jbossolo
I don't mean to pry bro, but what's with the HK motif?
We're just cat nuts.
And I must admit that the HK logo just makes me smile. What can I say?
Old 07-04-2010, 12:13 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Really tight. It looks like there isn't even enough room for two sets of spare wheels (which if you're racing, I'm assuming you have).

I appreciate the idea of a lightweight enclosed trailer, but for $20K+, I'm wanna be able to host a keg party in the rain inside mine...

And my lower back hurts just looking at it.
One of the advantages of running SpecBox with a square tire set-up is you don't even need one full set of spares, much less two. Spec tire is a Toyo that serves as both a wet and dry tire. I use to bring just two spare tires, one left mounted and one right mounted, just in case I had damage to one.

The guys at the pointy end of the grid would run the same set of tires for multiple events, it's not like the tire wars when you run Hoosiers. No need for a fresh set very day. He'll have plenty of room for tires for as long as he races SpecBox.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

I do run the square set up but I am not yet racing.

I moved to Black in DE this year and would like more time before I commit to going racing. Frankly I'm not totally sure I want to race but I will likely give it a try.
I've taken a race license course (PSDS) so I should probably start the paperwork and recommendations and target 2011.

As for the trailer space, again I am really limited in terms of keeping the trailer at my house. I can always put other things in the tow vehicle. My main desire in getting this trailer is to have a cool place to keep the car away from mother nature and to keep other stuff secure like tires, tools and a bicycle. Yeah, it will be tight but frankly my Boxster is tiny when it's on my 17.5 foot deck of my open trailer and I think losing a foot will not be a problem.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:46 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Dave:
Seriously, congrats on the trailer! Pretty damn sharp.......with or without HK "stuff." I am hpoing to attend the NER event, and DEFINITELY will go back to the Glen this year! I am trying to see if I can slide into HV's Monticello event 7/12. A few friends will be instructing and it is time to experience more tracks. The plan is NJMP, Tremblant and Monticello and of course, the Glen. I know you are going to Canada, eh (obligatory) and I would love to hear your experiences with Tremblant. I have quite a fews friends on Montreal/Tremblant. Aside form the NER DE at the Glen, what is the rest of your season looking like, maye we can catch up once you get back from the great white north.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Like this?
And I must admit that the HK logo just makes me smile. What can I say?
I was also referring to a full body vinyl wrap, which in addition to allowing you freedom of graphics choices and changes, it would also protect the aluminum from New England road and weather.
IMHO, the aluminum, as delivered, will be a bit of a nuisance to keep clean.

Think of it as colored 3M clear bra with your choice of graphics.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Country911
Hey Dave:
Seriously, congrats on the trailer! Pretty damn sharp.......with or without HK "stuff." I am hpoing to attend the NER event, and DEFINITELY will go back to the Glen this year! I am trying to see if I can slide into HV's Monticello event 7/12. A few friends will be instructing and it is time to experience more tracks. The plan is NJMP, Tremblant and Monticello and of course, the Glen. I know you are going to Canada, eh (obligatory) and I would love to hear your experiences with Tremblant. I have quite a fews friends on Montreal/Tremblant. Aside form the NER DE at the Glen, what is the rest of your season looking like, maye we can catch up once you get back from the great white north.
Thanks.
Tremblant is a fantastic track and this will be just my second visit there. The area is also really beautiful and there is some damn good food around. I will be popping my Calabogie cherry this event and I have been studying the track write ups and videos to prepare.
See you at some point this summer.

Quick Reply: Getting an Aerovault - the "Finned" trailer (UPDATE - Received!)