Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MS Access/Spreadsheet database tool for logging car setup/session data?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 05:32 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MS Access/Spreadsheet database tool for logging car setup/session data?

we've been using hard copy checklists and some home-made forms for logging the setup of my two cars each day at the track, and each session.
obviously stuff like car, date, venue, weather, other conditions, driver, tires.
and then a section for each run session for the stuff that could change like weather, tire pressures out, temps out, fuel level,
tire press in, temps in, fuel level, run time, a few notations of performance of the car, tire handling, car handling, other issues, overall.

lets us obviously see what is working and what isn't, etc.

my question is: does anyone build/have/want to build a microsoft access, or other database, tool which can record all that and of course allow a user to go back after the fact and review it.

anyone build such a thing? i know , for instance, AIM and MOTEC have some of of that in their data logging tools when you offload a session from their data loggers, but not nearly what we capture, and mostly we put it in their 'notes' section.

thoughts? ideas?? much appreciated.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would this be any help?

Car Setup Sheet 2way.pdf
Old 06-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are techie enough to need this sort of information, why not build your own tool?
Make sure it will work on a smart phone, I suggest you discuss this with other teams that you come up against, somebody will have a smart kid, so you only need to do the hard part - designing the ap, the kid will do the coding for passenger laps.....

Whatever you do, avoid MS Access.

Building something based on SQL Anywhere / here is a company called PatientKeeper that does this sort of thing for Doctors - check out what they do and then do something similar for cars.....

This isn't a big deal you could run the entire ap on a smartphone

R+C

Originally Posted by spg993tt
we've been using hard copy checklists and some home-made forms for logging the setup of my two cars each day at the track, and each session.
obviously stuff like car, date, venue, weather, other conditions, driver, tires.
and then a section for each run session for the stuff that could change like weather, tire pressures out, temps out, fuel level,
tire press in, temps in, fuel level, run time, a few notations of performance of the car, tire handling, car handling, other issues, overall.

lets us obviously see what is working and what isn't, etc.

my question is: does anyone build/have/want to build a microsoft access, or other database, tool which can record all that and of course allow a user to go back after the fact and review it.

anyone build such a thing? i know , for instance, AIM and MOTEC have some of of that in their data logging tools when you offload a session from their data loggers, but not nearly what we capture, and mostly we put it in their 'notes' section.

thoughts? ideas?? much appreciated.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Here is some good reading on set-up sheets, there are several parts in the series so start at the bottom and read up from there:

http://buddyfey.blogspot.com/

I've got a few different sheets of my own but I tend to keep hardcopies in a folder rather than storing them in a database, when working on the cars and driving it's just simpler.

Quick Reply: MS Access/Spreadsheet database tool for logging car setup/session data?