Sponsored by:

JRZ rear shock rebound adjusters not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:29 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default JRZ rear shock rebound adjusters not working

Installed some JRZ RS shocks and had the car setup/corner balanced. I went to dial in the settings that JRZ gave me and the rears didn't want to turn! They were all the way negative and couldn't be turned by hand. I had to take the ***** off and turn them with a small allen key.

When they finally did start turning (difficultly), they weren't clicking or clicking faintly every second or so expected click. Something is screwy.

Also, the bottome of one of the shocks seems to have been turned on the body.

I'm pretty upset about this as I just paid big bucks for a setup and the guy told me they were all set to the middle (the rears obviously weren't!)

Incase you're wondering, the rebound in the rear is terrible and the car bounces quite a bit (considering the super stiff springs).
Old 06-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought from a shop? They should uninstall, service, and reinstall on their dime.

The ***** should click when turned. (Unlike Koni Yellows, for example). There are "detents" inside the shocks and over time (if you bought used) they may get loose and need to be replaced.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Can you take a picture of the adjuster and what allen screw you removed? I'm thinking you removed/loosened the allen screw that holds the spring loaded ball bearing that makes the adjuster click each turn.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:13 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911
Installed some JRZ RS shocks and had the car setup/corner balanced. I went to dial in the settings that JRZ gave me and the rears didn't want to turn! They were all the way negative and couldn't be turned by hand. I had to take the ***** off and turn them with a small allen key.
rebound adjuster is one on the top - manual says it can be rotated by inserting a pin into some hole? i did not get my set here yet so cannot confirm.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
rebound adjuster is one on the top - manual says it can be rotated by inserting a pin into some hole? i did not get my set here yet so cannot confirm.
That's right. Attached JRZ's instruction.

http://www.jrzsuspension.com/index.php?downloads

My earlier comment was for RS Pro. For my shocks, the adjuster has quite high resistance. I can feel the detents when I adjust it, but there is no audible "clicks".
Old 06-28-2010, 03:31 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

When I had my JRZ double adjustable race dampers rebuilt, Joe Stimola told me "Don't use the softest rebound setting. They'll get locked up and broken."

Mine weren't the RS model, but it sounds like the same issue. Sorry dude.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

I ran once with that bouncey rebound,that was no fun !
Old 04-09-2016, 02:58 AM
mister_po
Intermediate

sorry to bring back the old tread. But I am running into the exact same issue with my rear rebound and wonder if you ever figure out a solution?

TIA

Quick Reply: JRZ rear shock rebound adjusters not working