Sponsored by:

Data Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:08 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks Van. Nice posts.

Just a quick question about the GPS sensors on these systems. Should they pick up a signal very quickly on a clear day? I've just installed mine and I reached out the window and just stuck it to the roof and I got no register on the MPH read. This is a used unit but I doubt much can go wrong with that part of it?
Old 06-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Thanks Van. Nice posts.

Just a quick question about the GPS sensors on these systems. Should they pick up a signal very quickly on a clear day? I've just installed mine and I reached out the window and just stuck it to the roof and I got no register on the MPH read. This is a used unit but I doubt much can go wrong with that part of it?
I think it depends on the system. The Traqmate system has historically been slow to pick up a GPS signal (sometimes over a minute) - but they've recently released a software update which really speeds up the GPS signal acquisition to just seconds.

So, I'd try yours again and give it some time.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Thanks Van. Nice posts.

It should pick them up pretty quickly although I've had some days where it take a bit of time.

Occasionally I've had GPS antennas go bad. Certain brands have minimal quality standards and the internal wires can get crushed/broken when zip tied too tight or rolled too tightly in a circle to take up slack. I haven't had it happen on a DL1 but I don't deal with many of them.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:15 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Traqmate. I create seperate sectors for every corner of the track, including those that are numbered but aren't true corners. This makes it easy to reference each corner.

I look at all of my laps from a day or weekend, focusing on the fastest sector times. I try to find what I did different on the 4 or 5 fastest times through each sector vs the other laps. Sometimes this will show a trend, where the fastest times have something in common. I focus on the most important corners on the track, and/or the corners where I seem to be losing time to the competition.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:19 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Fred,

Thanks for the nice comments. My biggest suggestion is that drivers MUST look at data between runs. If you are not serious about looking at data and implement changes during the next session, evaluating the data after you make changes, you aren't really serious about becoming a better driver. You may have data but don't know what to look for. Ask questions, such as this thread. There are a few basic things to look for, as time goes on and you get better at reviewing data, more details will be obvious.

IMHO, you need to capture speed, lateral G's, brake pressure, and throttle position. Look for how quickly you go from full throttle to full braking as a start. Go to Optimum G's website and read this article about applying brakes http://www.optimumg.com/OptimumGWebS.../TechTips.html
Old 06-15-2010, 09:26 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
I am no expert, far from it. But I can say that data analysis has helped my lap times tremendously. It has also helped me understand first time tracks quicker.

When I get to a track for a race weekend, I first focus on driving a bunch of laps to get a solid, representative data baseline (after car is set-up properly that is).

Then I find my best lap and look for throttle application and brake pressure patterns and watch video (I also look at circle of traction graph to some extent) to see where I may have left time on the table. This allows me to go out there and drive "proper" laps.

And then I find areas to push more by comparing my faster "proper" laps to one another (the notion of fastest theoretical lap somewhat comes in the play here...)

;-) I can't omit to say that having a pro data guy such as Jerry Austin as part of Dan J's crew for Club Race weekends really changes everything. He peels the proverbial onion until we find the actionable opportunities for lap time improvement.
Great input Fred........

For a start I guess I need to hook up with Jerry to decipher my data........
Old 06-15-2010, 10:02 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
For a start I guess I need to hook up with Jerry to decipher my data........
Absolutely no question about it. I totally recommend it. Jerry finds me a bunch of time every race weekend.

Last edited by FredC; 06-15-2010 at 10:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Data Analysis