Sponsored by:

AIM Brake pressure sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts
Default AIM Brake pressure sensor issue

I have the 0-2000 PSI sensor installed on my MXL Pista, worked perfectly for a couple years but this year it is bottomed out at (fluctuates) 25-30PSI. In Mv it is around 1050-1060mv. I don't see anywhere that I can "reset" 0 to equal 25PSI or the mv reading to re-calibrate it. Only sensors that show in calibration are throttle, steering, and accelerometer. Could it be resistance in the wire causing the reading? I know there is no pressure, car was off, wheels turn free, and brake pedal is free..

On another note it seems I have only one accelerometer now.. not sure if it's lateral or longitudinal. I did remove the GPS module in favor of the built in on the Smartycam so my assumption is they don't need to be assigned to the SC channel IDs.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:54 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Gary

You can create a custom sensor and set the zero to your no-pressure value, then set the max by looking on-line as you apply "full" brake pressure. However, since you are the proud owner of a Smarty Cam, I'll suggest something else. I had to do this to get a progressive bar for "brake" on the video screen. What I did was look on my data for "max" pressure applied in the biggest brake zone (ie. turn 1 at the Glen). Then I changed my brake pressure "sensor type" to a zero based potentiometer. I have my max pressure as 100%. Now, the video shows a better representation of brake application
Old 06-14-2010, 09:44 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
Gary

You can create a custom sensor and set the zero to your no-pressure value, then set the max by looking on-line as you apply "full" brake pressure. However, since you are the proud owner of a Smarty Cam, I'll suggest something else. I had to do this to get a progressive bar for "brake" on the video screen. What I did was look on my data for "max" pressure applied in the biggest brake zone (ie. turn 1 at the Glen). Then I changed my brake pressure "sensor type" to a zero based potentiometer. I have my max pressure as 100%. Now, the video shows a better representation of brake application
Old 06-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Gary

Thanks Jerry, I was hoping there was some way to just recalibrate the darn thing but i'll play with changing the sensor type for now and see how that goes.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:45 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow - Gary having a problem with AIM.
Never saw that coming, did we.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Well I can't bitch too much because i'm 99% sure it's the sensor and they don't make it. They should allow you to reset the range of values but i'll try the workaround(s) and see what happens.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:42 PM
cetom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi .so i am experiencing the same problem. did you ever find a solution. when the brake is at 0 the psi is reading between 20 to 40 . it rises as it should when the brake is applied . with motec there is an easy way to re calibrate this . in the calibration table set 0 mv to 0 psi set 30 mv to 0 psi then set what ever you want after that . the sensor reads 0psi from o to 30mv so it resets the 0 . AIM seems to be different . you can set the values in the custom calibration table but then it does some sort of quadrantic equation on your numbers . its important to have a good "0" to more accurately tell when the brakes are applied . is there a way around this . thanks
Old 04-19-2014, 10:59 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

You can do it once the data is imported by right clicking on the channel and putting in -x (whatever the sensor is off) in the spot for B. If you wanted to do it in the sensor setup, the only way is to do it with a custom sensor.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

I run a gated channel, like Matt says. New sensor coming soon...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-20-2014, 12:31 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

Gary

Wow - this is really cool. Will try that on my car this week.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:58 AM
cetom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fantastic , i will give it a try . so when you chose the sensor type is it 0 based sensor or generic 0-5 . or some other
thank you very much
Old 04-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

For guys with these sensors: Is there an off the shelf manifold to attach the sensor? I've seen a couple available that are standard thread, none that are metric. How is your's tapped into the line? Is there any bolt-on solutions or is it necessary to do a bunch of custom fittings and lines? thanks
Old 04-21-2014, 12:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Iron Canyon has this nice piece: http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com...ensor-adapter/

I work with sports racing and formula cars, so I use AN tees.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:35 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Cory

I buy 10 mm "tees" form the VW parts suppliers on line. These are pretty common and are available for about 10 bucks.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:59 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: AIM Brake pressure sensor issue