Sponsored by:

Finally - a decent free TRACK DATA OVERLAY

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 01:55 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Finally - a decent free TRACK DATA OVERLAY

Well, I finally found one that works with my Performance Box and is free: RACECHRONO2AVI. Not that I just found it, but they've been tweaking it, and I haven't checked back in a few months. It should also work with any logging software that can export to Trackvision .csv files. It has an integrated lap timer based on your data files as well!

Sorry for the long post, but I figured there were a bunch of folks that would want to try it, so I decided to work up a quick "how-to." You need a little computer ability, but not much. I'm going to lay out the basics, but if you need help, post or PM me.

Note: you have to have a video editing program that allows overlays, but otherwise, it is stand alone and works pretty well [video below]. What it does it create a separate video [.avi] file based on your GPS data. You then take the created .avi file and overlay it on your track video [in your normal editing program]. It takes a few tries to synch it right, but not too much effort.

Here's the gig:

PREFACE
a) In my performance box software, I loaded the data file I wanted and exported it to trackvision compatible .csv file. Most data logging software should allow you to export it this way.
b) you can edit the file down to the relevant laps, but it isn't necessary as noted below.

OPERATION of RACECHRONO2AVI
1) Download software from here.
2) Install and Run
3) There will be a "recording window" at the top when you run it.
4) There a number of functions you can put in the recording window, so just select what you want. I just used the lap timer, best lap, speedo, map, and G-meter (I don't have brake/throttle inputs). What you don't want, just drag outside the window. You can also adjust the size of the window.
5) Pick MPH or KMH before you load your data, or else you will have to reload it.
6) In the RaceChrono2avi choose the .csv file you created by clikcing the box that has the "..." (which is a box under "Racechrono CSV") and navigating to your file.
--) it will ask you if you have a .dsf file, just click "no"
--) it will tell you to draw a start-finish on the map. Hold shift and left-click on the map, and draw a line across the start-finish. [IMO, this is one of the coolest parts of the program, integrated lap timer!]
--) you can move start finish at any time
--) when you set the start finish, it calculates all of your lap times
7) Now click the pull down arrow from the "Start Lap" input. Select the lap you want to start with.
8) Click the pull down arrow for the "End Lap" input. Select the last lap.

Now all is ready for your data to transform into video.

VIDEO FILE
9a) When you hit play, you can see that the recording area is generating output based on your data!
9b) If you like what you see, make sure to check the "record avi" box.
10) Now when you hit play [again], it will ask you where to save the file. Pick your location.
11) When you hit "SAVE" a video codec box will pop up. You can pick whatever you want. If you have a Windows computer, you can pick Microsoft Video 1. It worked for me.
12) When you hit OK, an "ON AIR" box will appear.

13) It is RECORDING everything in the yellow box!

--) The video recorder is actually a simple on-screen capture program recording everything within the yellow area. Anything in the window will be recorded. That is, if you want to put a picture there or whatever, it will be in the final video. The same goes for the cursor. If you move it through the box when recording, it will show up.

OVERLAY
14) The overlay will be saved to your location.
15) You can click on it and watch it.
16) Open your video editing software and load your relevant in-car track video.
17) Add an overlay and select the output file you just created.
18) Resize it to fit, change opacity and sync up.
19) Record your video.
20) Watch your completed track file!

I haven't worked with anything other than the basics yet, but there are some additional features, like custom dashes for certain cars.

DOWNSIDE
I noticed that the numeric output on the G-meter is transposed. The dot is in the right place though. No biggie, it was free...

CONCLUSION
Here is the one I just created from my Feb 2010 MSR data and video files. As it turns out, my fast lap was 1:21.29 [followed by a 1:21.90 and a 1:21.69]. I'm pretty stoked with that!

Old 06-13-2010, 12:50 AM
KurtC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your work, Tom. I kinda gave up on doing this with my data. I can export to .txt and covert that to .csv in OpenOffice, but I have no idea how to make the program accept it. I'd be happy to just get tps%, mph, and engine speed. I can export at 10, 20, 50, 100hz or more. I've tried to open one of the sample .csv files and transfer my data, but it didn't seem to work. I wonder if you could create a sample file from your performance box with these parameters at 100hz and I could try working with that? I think the important thing is the column headers.

List of supported RC2AVI columns:

Lap #,
Timestamp (s),
Distance (m),
Speed (kph),
Speed (mph),
Longitudinal Acceleration (G),
Lateral Acceleration (G),
X-position (m),
Y-position (m),
RPM (rpm),
Throttle Position (%),
Trap name
Old 06-13-2010, 01:45 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KurtC
Thanks for all your work, Tom. I kinda gave up on doing this with my data. I can export to .txt and covert that to .csv in OpenOffice, but I have no idea how to make the program accept it. I'd be happy to just get tps%, mph, and engine speed. I can export at 10, 20, 50, 100hz or more. I've tried to open one of the sample .csv files and transfer my data, but it didn't seem to work. I wonder if you could create a sample file from your performance box with these parameters at 100hz and I could try working with that? I think the important thing is the column headers.

List of supported RC2AVI columns:

Lap #,
Timestamp (s),
Distance (m),
Speed (kph),
Speed (mph),
Longitudinal Acceleration (G),
Lateral Acceleration (G),
X-position (m),
Y-position (m),
RPM (rpm),
Throttle Position (%),
Trap name
Unfortunately, I don't get to pick the parameters I export. It is a black box.

From the .csv file, I can see the header info, as well as the actual column names, noted below.
sats
time
lat
long
velocity
heading
height
event1
yaw-calc
slip
inc-time
Longacc
Latacc
xpos
ypos
I will try to post up a short file for you to use as a template.

-td

[edit: short .csv file attched]RichochetCCW.zip
Old 06-13-2010, 02:15 AM
KurtC
Instructor

Thanks, dude! Edit: Actually, I've extracted this with 7zip and there's no extension. I opened with notepad and it's just a bunch of wild characters.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:04 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh. Racechrono has been around for years. I think we first used it in 2008.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:46 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Yah. It has been around a little while. The developers had it up and running for their logging software. But, the early versions didn't work right, or with PBox. Now, a lot of the bugs are better.

It's not nearly as robust or intuitive as trackvision. But, for limited use, it fits the bill.

-td
Old 06-13-2010, 07:16 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Race Chrono is a smart phone data logging app for Siemens S60 and Windows mobile based phones. The overlay thing is something one of their users cooked up, maybe last year.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:07 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Race Chrono is a smart phone data logging app for Siemens S60 and Windows mobile based phones. The overlay thing is something one of their users cooked up, maybe last year.
Roger. The first post is all about the overlay program, not the logging software [Racechrono2avi]. The first version came out in late 2008. It was somewhat buggy and did not support many loggers except Racechrono.

-td
Old 06-16-2010, 05:28 PM
KurtC
Instructor

Thanks for your help, Tom! I got it to work. Now I can really see how poor I'm driving!

Old 06-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

It's not a bad system, I use it occasionally. I use racechrono all the time for data, works really well and was cheap to set up. The hoot is that everone wants to know why I have a Nokia phone on my race car dash? Why else, I call my wife during long enduros
Old 06-16-2010, 06:08 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KurtC
Thanks for your help, Tom! I got it to work. Now I can really see how poor I'm driving!

Nice! I only took a peek at your video, but I didn't see a G-meter. No dice on the lat/long G's?

-td
Old 06-16-2010, 07:42 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Seems to work pretty good. That looks like a fun little track. They should throw a couple of bucks at it though.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:30 AM
KurtC
Instructor

Originally Posted by himself
Nice! I only took a peek at your video, but I didn't see a G-meter. No dice on the lat/long G's?

-td
My engine EMS (AEM) can log everything to do with the engine and I've added a trigger for the lap marker. No GPS though.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:38 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by APKhaos
i have called and emailed twice trying to get a data program from you all.... whats the problem????????dont want to sell them??? seriously disappointed... i thought you all were guys with the customer service... time is limited and ... hell i dont have much of it... I guess i will call somewhere else ,,,,,
Old 06-17-2010, 12:40 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...a-overlay.html

Quick Reply: Finally - a decent free TRACK DATA OVERLAY