Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RIP deep_uv

Old 06-03-2010, 10:57 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PNine64
Wow...that's terrible. I didn't know him but the image of him and his daughter working on his car came to mind as soon as I read this. I couldn't even imagine. Sorry to his family and all of his friends. RIP
Yes, he was in the middle of building a 911 Euro SC race car when he was diagnosed with cancer. One of my favorite images in my mind was when I stopped to visit him and check on the progress of the build. His daughter went out to the garage with us and was as proud of that Euro SC as Steve was. She climbed into the drivers seat and showed me how the quick release steering wheel worked. I deeply regret that he never got to race that car.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:57 PM
amr89c4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sad day indeed. I met Steve through the 964 RL forum. He invited me to Austin for a burger and beer at Twin Peaks. That was an experience I won't soon forget. He fussed and bothered and finally convinced me as he did TR6 to give the track a try. It was a few months before I finally decided to go and he immediately took me under his wing as a mentor. I wasn't sure at the time if that if that was good or bad, but it was sure as hell fun!

I only got to share a couple of DE's with Steve before he became ill but I immediately missed his lightheartedness and willingness to help no matter what the problem. I guess you could say that Steve hooked me and turned me into a track rat. He will be sorely missed by all that knew him. May he rest in peace after his long and difficult battle.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:01 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

This just breaks my heart.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Food Angel
Off-Topic Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I am so very, very sorry....

Never had the chance to meet Steve personally, but always enjoyed his perspective here on the board. May he rest in peace and may his family and daughter always feel his love....
Old 06-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I "knew" Steve through Rennlist, as I used to own a 964, and now race a Euro SC. We have shared many PMs, emails, and photos about our cars and respective builds, as he was going the DIY route to racing as I have. I am so sorry to hear this, and my condolences go out to his family.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:06 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Godspeed Steve. My condolences to all who knew and cared for him and his family.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:10 PM
KurtC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't really get to know Steve but I do remember meeting him at the Wataburger on 377 at my first PCA DE in April 07. I'm sure I would have eventually. This is really sad news. RIP, Steve.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:17 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
This just breaks my heart.

Fantastic pic. Awful news. Sounds like a good man.

Life is not fair nor is anything promised. All one can do is live life right .. sounds like he did exactly that...

RIP.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:42 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TR6
Farewell my friend. There will be a hole in our hearts that can never be filled. I will miss you deeply. I will miss the original Cool Arrow.
Well said, Greg. Steve was one of those people that we'll never forget. Hard to believe this news given how well he looked when I last saw him at TWS last summer. We didn't dwell on his health too much; just wanted to let him know how good it was to see him make it out to be with friends. Now it ifeels like a missed opportunity to say all the things you would want him to know - like how big that hole would be.

I'm proud to have known you Steve. God speed.

Originally Posted by TR6
Our common bond was that we both drove 964’s. His was a black Targa and mine was a white RS America. After I did my first ever DE in Feb 2007, I talked him into doing his very first DE at Motorsport Ranch in April 2007. (We froze our asses off at that one. Typical Texas Spring weather. Warm in February. Cold in April.) A couple of months later, Steve was the one that talked me into coming to Texas World Speedway the first time in June 2007. I remember I was nervous about driving a “real” racetrack. He had gone there for the first time in May 2007 and told me about all of the characters he had met there and that I would love it. So I made the 4 hour drive down and have been hooked on TWS ever since. I owe that to Steve.
One of my fondest memories of Steve will be this run that you and I did together with him at Eagles Canyon two years ago. It's an honor to have caught on video the two of you together in your 964's.

Steve and Greg

Mike, I'm sorry about your loss. My heart goes out to you. I'm glad that Steve had such a great friend; thank you.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:06 AM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by ervtx
One of my fondest memories of Steve will be this run that you and I did together with him at Eagles Canyon two years ago. It's an honor to have caught on video the two of you together in your 964's.

Steve and Greg
Russell, Thanks for posting that video. I had forgotten about that. You had incredible patience waiting for a pair of 964s driven by the likes of Steve and I! Those were definitely good times!
Old 06-04-2010, 12:21 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 744 Posts

Steve was my friend. I am better for having known him. I heard this news, which many of us who had visited Steve recently knew was coming, as I got off a plane today in Chicago. Having had the pleasure of riding in the right seat of Steve's "little targa" at TWS, I know he will be driving the perfect line for eternity...always watching us & laughing with his sarcasm at us...always trying for just a little bit more gas & a little bit less brake.

You will be missed, my friend. Try not to laugh too hard at us down here.

I will say a prayer for your family.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 06-04-2010, 12:21 AM
RSKY BIZ
Shark Slayer
Rennlist Member

Location: 'BETWEEN NORTH STAR BOROUGH...& THE CONCH REPUBLIC'
Default FATHERS AND DAUGHTERS...

I never met Steve, only had the good fortune to follow his Renn posts, however seeing this pic and reading more about him, led me to this...

Daughters
~John Mayer

I know a girl
She puts the color inside of my world
But she's just like a maze
Where all of the walls all continually change
And I've done all I can
To stand on her steps with my heart in my hands
Now I'm starting to see
Maybe it's got nothing to do with me

Fathers, be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers, be good to your daughters too

Oh, you see that skin?
It's the same she's been standing in
Since the day she saw him walking away
Now she's left
Cleaning up the mess he made

So fathers, be good to your daughters

Boys, you can break
You'll find out how much they can take
Boys will be strong
And boys soldier on
But boys would be gone without the warmth from
A womans good, good heart

On behalf of every man
Looking out for every girl
You are the god and the weight of her world

So fathers, be good to your daughters

~~~~~~~~~~~

Steve's legacy will live on through the lives of those he has touched; no stronger than through his daughter...this I know.

Godspeed to the proud father of a daughter
~Kim
Old 06-04-2010, 12:28 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TR6
Between Steve's sharp comebacks and Globe's wacky stories of mechanical ineptitude, we had no end of laughs.
Captured perfectly in these expressions...
Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2010, 12:47 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. I never had the pleasure of meeting Steve in person, but I enjoyed his company on Rennlist. It will be a very strange feeling knowing that he won't be "here" anymore. My condolences to his family. It's a shame that he will not be around to enjoy watching his little daughter growing up.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:59 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Captured perfectly in these expressions...
Keeping to our usual sartorial standards. Thanks Russell, that photo brought a smile to my face.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RIP deep_uv