Sponsored by:

US Touring car series vs Euro Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
BTCC and other Touring Car series is what NASCAR could have been if only . . .
What NASCAR could have been? You might want to check your history as to how NASCAR got started. It never even started down a path anywhere close to a Touring Car series. Besides, NASCAR is more successful than any Touring Car series in the world.

If anything, Trans-Am in the US is the series that could have been similar to BTCC and other Touring Car series.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:55 AM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+popularity. WTCC & BTCC are huge in their markets, where conti and SWC are more or less an enthusiast thing. I mean, eurosport airs practice and qualifiying for WTCC live. There are a lot of people tuned in, and for good reason, as they are massively exciting to watch.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:58 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
BTCC and other Touring Car series is what NASCAR could have been if only . . .
yup, if only...
Old 06-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's not just BTCC and WTCC.
The touring car scene in Europe has a complete ladder from Junior Touring Cars, Spec. Series and equivalents all the way up to WTCC (and some cases DTM). So there is a career to be done from perhaps when you're 15 until you retire. The further up you go, the higher budget and more skills are needed. It also can make it easier to work with sponsors who can start at a lower level and follow drivers for example or expose themselves to the right region. All this is regulated fairly similar across the countries and supported my the major manufacturers motorsport divisions.

I don't know if equivalent ladder exists in the U.S?
Old 06-03-2010, 04:50 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rassel
It's not just BTCC and WTCC.
The touring car scene in Europe has a complete ladder from Junior Touring Cars, Spec. Series and equivalents all the way up to WTCC (and some cases DTM). So there is a career to be done from perhaps when you're 15 until you retire. The further up you go, the higher budget and more skills are needed. It also can make it easier to work with sponsors who can start at a lower level and follow drivers for example or expose themselves to the right region. All this is regulated fairly similar across the countries and supported my the major manufacturers motorsport divisions.

I don't know if equivalent ladder exists in the U.S?
Yes .. In NASCAR ! and Indy cars somewhat ........................
Old 06-03-2010, 04:59 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Magnus, that's the core of the issue, we just don't have the structure here, somewhat in open wheel but that evaporated and it is just a huge jump from club racing to a pro level. And with NASCAR being the 800 lb gorilla in the room and open wheel all but imploding over recent years club racing to Koni(Conti) to grand am to alms it's not a logical or linear progression. And without the structure the courses are hard to develop which makes it difficult to develop a fan base. In Europ your practically tripping over some fantastic local tracks that put some of the best in the states to shame. And with the NASCAR monsters vested interest in many of the tracks here it's tough. They killed an Indy street race here in phx, flat out to eliminate competition. On a positive note I do think thst road racing is gaining popularity here in the states, just needs a bit of an organizational push.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by J richard
In Europ your practically tripping over some fantastic local tracks that put some of the best in the states to shame.
Is that really the case? In the limited traveling I've done in Europe, I don't remember tripping over road courses as I traveled along. It would seem surprising that with increased development regulations, and limited open land, that there would be an abundance of tracks.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J richard
Magnus, that's the core of the issue, we just don't have the structure here, somewhat in open wheel but that evaporated and it is just a huge jump from club racing to a pro level. And with NASCAR being the 800 lb gorilla in the room and open wheel all but imploding over recent years club racing to Koni(Conti) to grand am to alms it's not a logical or linear progression. And without the structure the courses are hard to develop which makes it difficult to develop a fan base. In Europ your practically tripping over some fantastic local tracks that put some of the best in the states to shame. And with the NASCAR monsters vested interest in many of the tracks here it's tough. They killed an Indy street race here in phx, flat out to eliminate competition. On a positive note I do think thst road racing is gaining popularity here in the states, just needs a bit of an organizational push.
Sounds like a tricky path to go. Do you have the organization to sort these things out? (Like from root-level) Or is it packed with local politics and the manufacturers are absent?

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Is that really the case? In the limited traveling I've done in Europe, I don't remember tripping over road courses as I traveled along. It would seem surprising that with increased development regulations, and limited open land, that there would be an abundance of tracks.
I have not seen too many U.S tracks. So I can't give a fair opinion about this. Some of the Euro tracks applied to host F1, DTM and some major endurance races. So they've been forced to do major investments (and often go bankrupt). Perhaps the lack of Nascar-like racing makes it easier to invest in road tracks too. F1 tracks are amazing - the surface feels smooth like a pool table.

However, it seems like some of the major investments done lately are in expansion markets like the Gulf and South East Asia. But with the economy going bust, I'm not sure how these will develop.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:35 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Bryan, its suprising, but if you include the UK your looking at about 200 courses in europe, most of which are road courses, and most are built to some homoglation to accommodate a race series. There is a heavier density in france, spain, germany and the UK, but if we had that many in the same geographic area, I think the interest in road racing would look a bit different here in the states....Japan has 20 and you can imagine the density issues there...in the states many of our "biggest" tracks are modified ovals, and not real road courses.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 177 Posts

What NASCAR could have been? You might want to check your history as to how NASCAR got started. It never even started down a path anywhere close to a Touring Car series. Besides, NASCAR is more successful than any Touring Car series in the world.

If anything, Trans-Am in the US is the series that could have been similar to BTCC and other Touring Car series.
I was thinking more along the lines of various manufactures models competing with factory support and sponsors. What I like about BTCC and other touring cars is both the driving on road courses and the equipment variations. That was the intent of my NASCAR reference, race on Sunday sell on Monday. And moonshining was all about road racing not ovals.

But I am not a historian and don't claim to be one, just a man with an opinion.

Quick Reply: US Touring car series vs Euro Touring Car