Sponsored by:

2011 CaymanSpec Rules Revisions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2011 CaymanSpec Rules Revisions

Welcome (future) CaymanSpec Racers! We need your rules revision suggestions.

Attached is the current version (2010) of the regulations for the CaymanSpec Racing class. This rule set was created by a number of grassroots owners and racers who desire to build a new club-level racing class for the Porsche Cayman. For 2010 CaymanSpec is a recognized Time Trial and Race Class with the Porsche Owners Club (POC). For 2011 and beyond our goal is to increase the car count with the POC and expand the class to PCA and others.

We continue to build awareness and interest in CaymanSpec and want to refine a rule set that meets the spirit of the class and puts the greatest number of cars on track. There is currently one CSR complete and at least two under construction that should be on track shortly.

Please download the attached file (2010 rules), give the document a good read and post your suggested improvements to this thread by June 18th. We will consider each of the suggestions and post the revised rules proposal here by June 25th for final review and comment. Following any final changes we will submit the proposed rule to the POC (and PCA?) for inclusion in the GCRs.

In addition to posting your comments here you can join the nationwide discussion in the CaymanSpec forum on Planet-9: http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-spec-...th-2010-a.html

For reference, you can also review the rules discussion thread from 2010: http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-spec-...e-comment.html

Build photos, and other threads, are available at: http://www.caymanspec.com/

Finally, if any of you are interested in serving on the CaymanSpec rules team please send me a PM. We are working to build a small team of racers and technical experts to help us continue to develop.

Cheers,

CaymanSpec Racing

See post #13 for 2011 final.

Last edited by Krokodil; 01-18-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:01 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I am glad the JRZ requirement is removed, but not happy with the DOT-slick tire usage. Otherwise, sensible and clear rules.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
I am glad the JRZ requirement is removed, but not happy with the DOT-slick tire usage. Otherwise, sensible and clear rules.
FT,

Thank you for the comments.

Yes, we have removed all brand-specific requirements from the spec (other than Porsche of course).

Re tires: there may come a time when we can shift to a less costly spec tire, but for now with very few (1-3) cars in class it is not necessary. Early interest in the cars is coming from the performance relative to other established classes and we need to use this momentum.

So far, no one has mentioned that this is the only thing keeping them from building a car. Actually the opposite is true, as most current racers do not want to run on the 888 or NT-01 at the speeds being run in the car.

We do, however, undrestand your concern and will continue to consider this issue.

Cheers,
Old 05-30-2010, 12:30 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I certainly understand. For me, it is the tires that is keeping me from entering. I may be wrong, you have been much more involved in the engine issues, but I need to wait and see the stock engine reliability with Hoosiers, I think at this time semi-track tires, like R888s are safer.

However, this does not prevent me from building the car, which actually I am doing piece by piece as components need replacement. So, simplification and openness of rules help me a great deal.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Proposed 2011 CaymanSpec regulations attached. Amemdments from 2010 final in red. Most changes are enhancements and result from lessons learned through 2010, but others are somewhat significant (e.g., proposed addition of a CSX class).

This proposal was submitted to the POC Comp Committee for inclusion in the 2011 General Compitition Rules amemdment process.

Further comments are encouraged. We will work with the POC to finalize the rules by November 1st. Any major changes will be communicated as soon as decided.

Cheers,

Cayman Spec Regulations 2011 R1.0 - 09 06 10.doc
Old 09-07-2010, 10:49 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It will be interesting to see how this class ends up vs. Interseries. Is there room for more than one spec Cayman class?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
It will be interesting to see how this class ends up vs. Interseries. Is there room for more than one spec Cayman class?
Good question. For now the Interseries is 09+ cars racing in the east (HSR, PCA). CaymanSpec formed in SoCal (POC) and is based on the 06 to 08 cars.

I think most would like to see us develop an equivalency formula to allow owners of both cars to race with as many groups/Caymans as possible.

For now it appears this issue is most evident in the east as we do not yet have any Interseries cars out west.

Any insight on if/how Interseries / HSR / PCA plans to integrate?

Cheers,
Old 09-08-2010, 10:11 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We need to get this to run in the east with PCA or NASA. Charlie is right we will need a couple of classes. Pre and post DFI
Old 09-09-2010, 08:09 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by sleder
We need to get this to run in the east with PCA or NASA. Charlie is right we will need a couple of classes. Pre and post DFI
Or just different weights. Cayman S's can already race in GTB1, GT3-4 S & R (depends on weight), and H/I (depending on year), soon to be inter-series...adding 2 more spec classes makes 7. It will be tough to get a decent field with that many choices. One of the reasons that Spec Boxster has caught on in PCA is there is really no other good class to race a 2.5L Boxster in (and they are cheap).
Old 09-09-2010, 08:28 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually Colin, you are right...with that number of classes it probably is too many to choose from, so the fields are small. I still like the HP:WT ratio best. call it spec, or anything else, but that evens out the playing field.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the comments. The concern for class proliferation is founded, however, out west we really do not have PCA club racing (maybe two events a year) and most run with POC or NASA.

Currently the way the POC rules are structured we have cars that are nearly the same spec fragmented into multiple classes based on poison pill modifications (e.g., double adjustable shocks no matter the type).

The goal of the proposed CSX class is to concentrate newer cars with street type mods into a single class to provide competition for folks that seek a transition from performance driving events into Time Trials - using stock weight and no aero mods.

For the racers the active CSR class is intended to concentrate similarly spec'ed cars into a single race class (or to be combined with other cars into a larger race class) that is somewhat controlled through a max spec. Through controlling the spec we can also create equivalency with popular legacy classes and create some exciting racing.

Most folks that are interested in these classes do not want to go the GT-X Weight/HP route. It quickly becomes wallet racing and relegates those who can not afford to constantly develop & test their cars to the back of the pack. With a reasonable max spec it still allows folks to tinker to some extent (part of the fun), but sets a cap so development costs do not get out of control.

Ideally we can create and equivalency formula and combine the CaymanSpec (06 to 08 Gen 1 cars) with the Cayman Interseries (09+ Gen 2 cars) so that we can all race together in large fields. The Interseries cars are quite a bit more expensive to build that the CaymanSpec cars, but creating an environment to race the two specs together should not be that hard.

Also, both the Interseries and CaymanSpec cars are not that far from the World Challenge GTS spec (e.g. MantisSport Cayman S), so this opens even more doors for those that want to go semi-pro racing.

Cheers,
Old 09-12-2010, 03:42 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Krokodill, I read your proposed rules and they allow for a lot of weight loss and wing. Almost to the GTB class. Ideally if we can provide 2 classes that will allow POC, PCA, NASA and World Challenge we can really have some exciting competitive racing and I believe some interested drivers to come ut and race with us.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Final 2011 CaymanSpec regulations can be viewed here: http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-spec-...ons-final.html

Cheers,
Old 01-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
To participate in the Interseries aren't you required to buy a built car from a specified dealer, so you couldn't build your own car and race? The used interseries cars I have seen were the same price as used cup cars. So it isn't really an option for someone who wants to build anything themselves or build a good foundation and upgrade as $$ allows. Also the interseries doesn't visit the west coast. I guess I don't see them appealing to the same kind of people, it's kind of the arrive and drive crowd versus people who like to tinker on cars.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:41 AM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cory M
To participate in the Interseries aren't you required to buy a built car from a specified dealer, so you couldn't build your own car and race? The used interseries cars I have seen were the same price as used cup cars. So it isn't really an option for someone who wants to build anything themselves or build a good foundation and upgrade as $$ allows. Also the interseries doesn't visit the west coast. I guess I don't see them appealing to the same kind of people, it's kind of the arrive and drive crowd versus people who like to tinker on cars.
Cory,

First, my condolences on the loss of your brother. Will we see you and your dad again soon? I do hope so.

You are correct about the Interseries cars needing to be purchased from a single dealer and built to a very tight spec (no tinkering). The NASA ITC classes are also specified very narrowly, using specific vendors. Not what we (or most Gen 1 owners) want.

We agree that this is a very different type of owner/driver than what we are targeting with the CaymanSpec regs.

We hope to build a common club race class of Caymans built to a Max Spec. This approach should help control costs, yet allow flexibility on component suppliers and rate of development.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: 2011 CaymanSpec Rules Revisions