Sponsored by:

Advice on Race Seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:04 PM
cometb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Race Seats

I am in the process of building out my 1981 911SC to be a "mostly" dedicated DE car (drive to track) with the idea of club racing in the future as my skills increase. I am in a "staged" build as my budget allows. I have upgraded suspension, the engine has been mostly rebuilt (Euro Spec), new wheels with the seats/roll bar coming next.

What is the best, economical seat(s) I can get which will still be OK for club racing? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:16 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm partial to Kirkeys. But that's all I know.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Apex Rex
Racer

I like Kirkey's as well, but getting a seat that is comfortable is very important. Especially since you plan on driving the car to the track in the future. I just happen to fit in Kirkey seats very well, and find them to be very comfortable. I daily drove my 968 with them for about a year and a half before taking it off the road to be a track-only car. Best decision ever!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:21 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Test fit several seats. I had some Recaros once and I was just too tall for them. I found that if you are tall and...wider than your normal driver Kirkey and Ultrashield seats do really well and are quite comfortable. Plus they are light and all aluminum and you can replace the cover when they get worn.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:28 PM
cometb
Intermediate

Default Thanks- what about PCA CLub Racing Rules

Are there any specific technical aspects of the seat that I need to be aware of (such as the FIA Amagalmation- whatever that is)? Also, is a fiberglass seat preferable that tubular aluminum, etc?
Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

def sit in them. especially if u can find someone that has them installed the same car as yours.

what's yer budget? i think the cheapest ones u can find that are still certified are sparco sprints. those are like 300ish.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:36 PM
krystar
Drifting

if you're going into club racing, u need SFI/FIA certified seats. but for DE's that certification isn't a requirement. u can get used seats that have expired SFI/FIA certs for dirt cheap. the seats are still good but just past their racing certification dates.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:38 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Sparco evo's are pretty nice, come in a variety of sizes. I have a set of Corbeau's that are like torture chambers on the way back and forth to the track, but okay there. So I also suggest trying different seats out if you can. A lot of times you can at least test fit some seats at de's, most people will let you sit in their's.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:55 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Recaros are quite comfortable.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Cobras
Old 05-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

At your next event try to sit in different makes and models. Make sure you check where your shoulders line up in reference to the shoulder belts openings. There are some makes and models of seats that don't fit well on people with long torsos. Having a seat that isn't comfortable is unpleasant and distracting.

Sparco, Racetech, Recaro, OMP, Cobra and Kirkey are all good seats. FIA rated seats that are under 5 years old, do not require the use of a seat brace. If you go the used route, if the seat is FIA rated and over 5 years old, you can use it, but will have to install a seat brace to run with NASA and PCA.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Try and find a dealer that stocks several different seats and go sit in the ones that meet the requirements of the racing org you will run with (in the future). In general, try and figure out what racing class you will someday try to join and don't waste money on mods that aren't allowed. If your SC engine is Euro Spec you have already moved to PCA E stock (from D), or you can always cheat...
Old 05-18-2010, 11:06 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I like the recaro and sparco, I like high bolsters. Don't fool around with any of the tube frame seats like low end momo, they are cheap but you get what you pay for. Also check the installs at the track some seats have to be mounted on the floor to get them low enough not the best idea IMHO. If you sit in a racing seat that fits it's going to be snug, if not you'll be spending alot of your energy keeping yourself in it rather than driving. A good snug fit however isn't the best for a dual purpose car, so you'll have to find the compromise that suits you. I'd you get a non halo seat that provides acceptable compromise for dual use you can move it to the pass side and get the serious seat when you go racing. That's when the cert and backbrace will be important, until then a clean timed out seat is fine.

Think carefully about the rollbar, it is a half pregnant solution, it does give you something to loop you're harness around with rollover protection, but unless it is constructed as a half cage you may find yourself throwing it out come time for a race legal cage. Getting a full cage kit and installing the rear or getting one that can be added onto would be the answer, there's a whole other conversation about bolt in that would take this further off topic...
Old 05-19-2010, 11:15 AM
cometb
Intermediate

Thanks to all for the input. The car is being built by a very capable shop in north Dallas. In regards to the rollbar, we planning on doing it as described above (modular full cage approach).

I will most probably only be particiapting in DE events for the next two years so the idea of inexpensive, out of date seats is very appealing. I have been searching various classifieds but can't seem to find any. Thanks again for all the hlep.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:22 AM
krystar
Drifting

dunno how big you are, but try searching on forums and classifieds for 944spec, spec miata, lemons, and hondatech. lots of ppl pawning off stuff

Quick Reply: Advice on Race Seats