Racing heart rate

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:46 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by early_grayce
The better shape you're in the lower your "exercise" heart rate...
Agreed that an out-of-shape person's heartrate will get very high, very quick. But the amount of time that one can maintain 80%, or 90%, or 100% HR is a measure of cardio fitness, no?
Old 04-26-2010, 08:52 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AtlJimK
The 220 minus age is bunk. My max is 206 (tested) and I am 40. My AT is 177. I will wear my Polar for the next DE in June and post the graph. My guess is 130 to 140 max.
The 220-age is a reference. That's all. The P of MPHR is "predicted".

If you're anaerobic threshold is 177 that means you cannot exercise with a HR of >177 for very long, you'd seize up.
I highly doubt these guys have an anearobic theshold of 195bpm, that would be in the class of the most elite athletes in the world. At rest we can have a HR of 195 and chill out for a long while, but not while using the muscles these guys use.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:52 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
Agreed that an out-of-shape person's heartrate will get very high, very quick. But the amount of time that one can maintain 80%, or 90%, or 100% HR is a measure of cardio fitness, no?
Absolutely.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:57 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Don't buy it one bit!!!!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I remember seeing or hearing somewhere (I cannot remember the source but I remember thinking that it was credible) that Michael Schumacher's heart rate stayed around 180 BPM when going full tilt in his F1 car. That was back a while so I am guessing he was about 27 or 28. He was every bit as fit as any world class athlete, so I would take that as a baseline and round down from there.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:36 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Those heart rates are a bit suspect... I wonder if the monitors pick up some vibration.
Originally Posted by Gasser
That sounds really high to me as well. I average 155 or so durring a workout.
Duh.....we are talking about an AUSTRALIAN race, so the measurement is metric

Old 04-26-2010, 09:53 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Their hearts beat in the opposite direction.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:48 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 61 Posts

....If you're anaerobic threshold is 177 that means you cannot exercise with a HR of >177 for very long, you'd seize up.
I expect that the high heart rate is due to stress, not muscle activity. My heart rate is 65 when standing around. When racing (running), I hold 172-174 (anaerobic threshold - the hardest I can go and still supply air to the muscles being used). My maximum heart rate (sprint to the finish) is about 184, then I collapse as I cross the finish line.

Even though my HR when standing-still is 65, my HR when standing-still at the starting line before the race is 135. HR is substantially elevated by stress, adrenaline, competitive thoughts - and I have VERY little chance of dying in a fiery crash during the race.

Professional drivers can die if they make any little mistake, or lose concentration; if any OTHER driver makes a mistake or loses concentration; or if any of thousands of parts on their car or any other driver's car fails. While the heat and physical activity are demanding in the cockpit, I suspect they only account for heart rates in the 120-130 range - what many of us see driving fast in DE's, where we (hopefully) are not in constant fear for our lives. Above that level I expect is due to stress, not physical demands.

I suspect the military has good data on these effects. Our professional soldiers (God bless them!) spend hours in foxholes with mortar and grenades coming in, and bullets flying overhead. Even though waiting there may not be directly physically demanding, the stress and need for constant vigilance probably has their pulse rates very high. Given the highly technical nature of warfare now, I expect the military has charts on HR - how high, how long, effect on reflex time, decision making, vision, etc.

If any of you racers still do DE's, I would be curious about your DE HR versus your race HR. I would also be curious about HR in a gentlemanly PCA race versus a Spec Miata demolition derby...
Old 04-26-2010, 03:05 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

VRs avatars make my heart race.

(Sorry, but this thread was getting too serious. )
Old 04-26-2010, 05:04 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Some interesting info from F1 page about driver fitness:

"The heart

A human being has a resting heart rate of around 60 beats/minute, rising to around 150 during a run on the treadmill. David Coulthard (Red Bull Racing Team) has a resting heart rate of 40 beats/minute, rising to 198 beats/minute during a two hour race, a figure - approximately the same as that of a marathon runner crossing the finishing line - which initially stunned medical researchers.

Dr Riccardo Ceccarelli, from Italian sports medicine clinic 'Formula Medicine' and of the Panasonic Toyota Racing Team, explains why a high speed drive can be as challenging as a 26 mile run.

Dr. Riccardo Ceccarelli "The difference is one of mental stress. There is no sport that demands such intense concentration. A huge amount of adrenalin is being pumped, and this - as well as the physical strain - causes the high heart rate."

The body's ability to cope with such extremes is a result of intensive workout and so drivers undergo cardiovascular exercise for up to four hours a day: jogging, cycling, rollerblading.... This also helps to keep weight in check - a driver such as David Coulthard maintain a body fat ratio of 7%, similar to that of a runner at the start of a race...."
Old 04-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AtlJimK
The 220 minus age is bunk. My max is 206 (tested) and I am 40. My AT is 177. I will wear my Polar for the next DE in June and post the graph. My guess is 130 to 140 max.
No, not max possible, max recomended for average person of that age. Its a generalization for someone of average conditioning. Obviously someone who trains can tolerate more or develope more. I think you misunderstood what is meant my max on the recomendation. Its a recomendation nothing more.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:39 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

maybe I am wrong, but there is a big difference between biking and racing.

I would not be shocked to see heart rates bieng high when racing, but it is very differet from cycling.

In cycling (or running) your heart is pumping to feel the muscles that are moving. Big leg muscles that working very hard. To keep those muscles going they need fresh oxygenaated blood. So the heart pumps faster and faster to them going.

In racing even in high G car the muscles are not working any where near as hard. I would have muscle fatigue from 30-45 minuts on bike at 178-190 bpm consistant. However I little muscle fatigue from the car.

However I cam exhausted in both cases. The racing is 10-20% physical (espically non or light aero sports cars) and 80 to 90% concentration. It is that adreneline and concentraion that raise the heart rate. So while the heart is beating fast the lungs are not needing to conver as much blood with oxygen since it does not need feed big leg muscles. So it seem much easier to sustain a high heart rate as compared with running or biking.

Also remember it is much warmer in race car than running or biking. Race suits keep you warm and one thing your body is trying to do is maintain your core temp as well.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

As a data point, in an interview I saw earlier this year Lewis Hamilton said his heartrate is 160-170 at a busy circuit..
Old 04-26-2010, 06:41 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Also.
I am always much more exhausted from a 20 minture race than a 20 minute practice. The physical effort is little different, but the mental aspects are much more taxing when racing that just lapping.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:20 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Joe... this explains why my heartrate goes through the roof and I get exhausted after 20 minutes of just talking to certain people...

I have no doubt you are under stress during a race, the question is in the long term, and at what interval is it beneficial and stamina producing or harmful?

Quick Reply: Racing heart rate