Sponsored by:

Heavy trailers and weigh stations and crossing state lines

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:29 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy trailers and weigh stations and crossing state lines

I know this is a very loose subject and is handled differently from state to state but I thought I would ask it anyways. When I called the Ohio BMV, they acted clueless.(maybe i just need to call the state highway patrol?)

Here's my question:
Do i need to stop at weigh stations if I am pulling a trailer with commercial tag on it?

My enclosed trailer is heavy enough that in state of ohio, I have to use a commercial tag on it. Now it's not used for commercial purposes but ohio says anything over 3000lbs is then tagged as commercial plate. I've towed to Mid Ohio and Nelson Ledges and never bothered with weigh stations. I am wondering if I go to Putnam, or Beaver Run or other neighboring states, Must i stop at the weigh station because I have a "commercial tagged" trailer?

I've recieved mixed feedback on this topic and I thought why not post to the masses here.

To make it even more interesting, this year I will be towing with an RV vs my Expedition SUV, however, the RV dealership has stated there is no requirement for RV's to stop at weigh stations..

Tom
Old 04-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy first the lug studs and now this.

Actually you raise a good point. Most of the private toter-homes that I see on the road have "Private - not for hire" right on the side of them. If you put that on your trailer, I would not worry about it, and at least you have a point to argue from if you are ever stopped for passing a weigh station.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:39 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, i think you have to have the "not for hire" sticker on the trailer and you will be ok. That is the rumor I have heard here in KS anyway.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Tom,

My trailer falls into the "over 3000 lbs" catagory (by 30 lbs), so I have to buy the commercial plates also. I'm sure this is covered in the Ohio BMV rule book somewhere (you can download all 26mb of it from their web page), but according to my father, a former Ohio State Trooper, I am not required to stop at weigh stations. I've been towing around the midwest for 5 years now without a problem.

However, John Haas and I were pulled over while driving through South Carolina with his 40-foot gooseneck. The officer recommeded he put a "not for hire" sticker on it. If you go that route, I'm sure you won't have any problems.

Chip
Old 04-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can get the sticker on Ebay. Three dollars shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PRIVATE-TRANSPOR...item8262e01cb1
http://cgi.ebay.com/NOT-HIRE-decal-s...item8262c6c234
Old 04-22-2010, 02:13 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Sweet, I like the sticker idea just for simplicity of Covering my fanny and now that I think of it, I have seen that on several rigs from semi's to large gooseneck setups. See, that's why I post out here, always good ideas...

Tom
Old 04-22-2010, 02:41 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Just be careful if you head to the SE. Florida (perhaps other states?) have agricultural inspection stations at which ALL trailers must stop. They take is pretty seriously - I was passed by a trooper doing +100mph to pull over a single horse trailer who passed the checkpoint.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:54 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Thanks for this link, Brian - I have had more than enough encounters with the towing police for one lifetime. Maybe this will help.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:59 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Charlie:
This must be one of the most confusing subjects even for LEO's. I pass the northern weigh station all the time when I go to Roebling Road and never stop, has not been an issue. I do the same on the reverse trip but always wonder as I am driving by if I should stop. 30' tag attached to F350 not exactly easy to miss. Compounding this a friend was pulled over by DOT in his private F250 and asked for his commercial endorsement due to GVW, he did not have anything attached.

I claim absolute ignorance on this subject.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:02 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

I just ordered two sets of the private transportation, not for hire version. got a set for my trailer and a set for my rv. Wopping 6 buckaroos. hehe

Tom
Old 04-22-2010, 06:36 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VERBOTN125
Charlie:
This must be one of the most confusing subjects even for LEO's. I pass the northern weigh station all the time when I go to Roebling Road and never stop, has not been an issue. I do the same on the reverse trip but always wonder as I am driving by if I should stop. 30' tag attached to F350 not exactly easy to miss. Compounding this a friend was pulled over by DOT in his private F250 and asked for his commercial endorsement due to GVW, he did not have anything attached.

I claim absolute ignorance on this subject.
In addition to weigh stations, Florida uses Agricultural Inspection Stations. These are normally a few miles before or after the weigh stations. Drivers with PrePass can be set up for preclearance (though you are required to stop if you have agriculture on- even if you get the green light).

If you do get pulled in to an agricultural check point, they will ask to see your bills or they will ask what you are hauling and where you came from. Depending on your answer they may choose to inspect your load to be sure you don't have any contaminants that will affect Florida's produce and exports.

All rental trucks and vehicles with trailers are required to pull into the agricultural inspections.
Vehicles entering Florida will be prohibited from transporting citrus plants but other types of plants are allowed. Florida will require anyone transporting plants or livestock to fill out forms at the agricultural inspection. Florida will send inspectors to the final destination marked on the forms to inspect produce plants.
I stopped. Lady at the window asked what was in the trailer, I told her it was a car, and I was on my way.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:42 PM
DC5Chick06
Advanced

We've never stopped at any weight stations or ag inspection stations, and never had any issues with State Patrol/DOT
Old 04-23-2010, 03:10 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by DC5Chick06
We've never stopped at any weight stations or ag inspection stations, and never had any issues with State Patrol/DOT
Open trailer in FL no problem. If you have an enclosed trailer and skip the Ag inspection station you will be stopped 1 day. The conversation will go something like this, What part of ALL trailers must stop don't you understand, It will rapidly go down hill from there.

Peter
Old 04-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 85Gold
If you have an enclosed trailer and skip the Ag inspection station you will be stopped 1 day. The conversation will go something like this, What part of ALL trailers must stop don't you understand, It will rapidly go down hill from there.
The part that includes private trailers hauling race cars?
Old 04-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

A friend of mine got stopped in Oklahoma coming back from the Texas race. He was ticketed (F-350 pulling a 48' trailer) went to court and got most of his money back. He had to pay the fine in full when pulled over or go to jail ($670). It's just a lot of BBBSSS!!! The laws are written so vague they can use it how they like. Anyway don't put any type of racing logo's or writing on your trailer other than "Private Coach or Not For Hire" type of stuff. Tag your trailer as a recreational vehicle. This seems to take care of the issue being able to label you for profit. State of OK claimed since he had some kind of racing logo on the trailer and paid an entry fee it was for profit. Like I said BS!!!!

Quick Reply: Heavy trailers and weigh stations and crossing state lines