Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fellow PCA Racer saves a life

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:25 AM
jlcrosby
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys – Thanks for the kind words. The Causeway Bridge, which crosses Lake Pontchartrain, is 24 miles long and about 25’ high. This occurred about half way across so I knew there was no swimming to shore and there is nothing to hang on to. I had called the bridge police as soon as I saw the guy jump and knew they would be there soon. The police that patrol this bridge are equipped to handle these situations. It took about 10 minutes for the police to arrive at the scene so all I could do is tread water holding the guy’s head above water. He was barely conscious so he did not put up a struggle. Both lanes were blocked and the police had difficulty getting there so it took a little longer than I expected. Once they arrived, they threw down some life rings with ropes attached and then lowered a rope ladder. An officer climbed downed the ladder and got in the water with me. Finally, a boom truck arrived and lowered a basket. I helped the officer pull the jumper into the basket and he was hoisted up first. Next was my turn and they hoisted me up. I was in the water about 20 minutes. A Coast Guard boat and helicopter arrived, but we were already back on the bridge. Pretty crazy for a Monday morning. BTW, I rarely travel that bridge since I live and work on the north side of the lake. I had just dropped Gordon Friedman with Autometrics at the airport and was on my way back home. Gordon was in town for our club race. So I guess in a way, this guy has PCA Club Racing to thank for being alive today. -- John
Old 04-28-2010, 10:29 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

True hero John!
Old 04-28-2010, 10:55 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Have you talked to the jumper since John? Hopefully some day he will realize how lucky he was you were there.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:50 AM
jlcrosby
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with his Mother and his sister. They were obviously very thankful. I have not spoken with the fellow that jumped, but he is getting help.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:01 AM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Veninger
True hero John!
+1,000,000

You sir are to be comended. Above and beyond.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:58 AM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My kinda guy! Kudos to you Mr. C!

Quick Reply: Fellow PCA Racer saves a life