Sponsored by:

Driving suit holes

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 04:48 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Driving suit holes

Time for me to get a new off the shelf driving suit. How are people making holes in their driving suits for cool shirt hoses? Stitched hole like a button hole? Nomex flap over stiched hole? Other ideas?
Old 04-11-2010, 04:53 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Hole in inside pocket, hose comes out of side pocket...... unnoticeable.....and it doesn't alter the safety......
Old 04-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Hole in inside pocket, hose comes out of side pocket...... unnoticeable.....and it doesn't alter the safety......
+1...also keeps the 'nads cool during a hot race.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 04-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

+2

And yes, I would stitch around opening like "buttonhole" to keep it from tearing or opening further. As noted, the opening is covered by the outer pocket material maintaining better suit integrity.

Do check the candidate spot on the pocket while strapped in. There is surprisingly little room to choose from once you consider the suit, seat, harnesses done up... you get the picture.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:16 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Interesting place to put the hoses. I am surprised the lapbelt does not get in the way.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:30 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Sparco Halo seat and I sink down in it, I am thinking that its going to be difficult to get this to feel good after I get myself all strapped in.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

The front zipper on drivers suits when zipped closed, can be zipped down from the top, and up from the bottom. The bottom one enables you in tinkling so you don't have to zip the top of the zipper all the way down. I run the hoses out the bottom of the zipper. Needs no holes. But it sure makes you look and feel like an idiot, with those two hoses dangling down like 2 Mr. Happies swinging in the breeze.

Bill Seifert
Old 04-12-2010, 11:38 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
The front zipper on drivers suits when zipped closed, can be zipped down from the top, and up from the bottom.

Bill Seifert
Bill,

What brand suit do you have? My omp never had that.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
The front zipper on drivers suits when zipped closed, can be zipped down from the top, and up from the bottom. The bottom one enables you in tinkling so you don't have to zip the top of the zipper all the way down. I run the hoses out the bottom of the zipper. Needs no holes. But it sure makes you look and feel like an idiot, with those two hoses dangling down like 2 Mr. Happies swinging in the breeze.

Bill Seifert
Yeah...I do that too...just have to remember to tuck it in when you get out of the car....
Old 04-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

OMP Nomex III

I may not be explaining it well. All driver suits I have had have that feature. Even my old military flight suits had it. Each front zipper has 2 zipper pulls. You zip the top one to your neck.. You are zipped up ready to drive. There is still another zipper pull by your wee wee. If you pull it up the zipper is still shut by your neck, but the suit is open from your crotch to your neck. Hope that explains it better. Anyway the two hoses go out the bottom. You zip it down as far as it will go, to minimize the hole, and the two hoses hang out. Just be careful which hangey down things you hook the cooler to. Being catheterized by ice cold water would probably not be fun. Sorry for my poor explanation.

Bill

Bill
Old 04-13-2010, 01:40 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Stand21 modified both of my suits to accomodate these tubes. They place a reinforced circular hole on the left side of the suit that is covered with an upper and lower flap made from matching suit material. The flaps have velcro on them to provide closure and coverage over the access hole. Nice and clean modification.

Quick Reply: Driving suit holes