Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Running Go Pro Motorsports HD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 10:57 AM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone Running Go Pro Motorsports HD?

I just picked up the Go Pro Motorsports HD set-up.
I have everything figured out I beleive, but I have some questions for those already using it.
What video resolution setting? r3, r4 or r5
What exposure setting? Cnt or SPt
What speed SD card? Mine is a 16Gb 15MB/s and it seems to chop a little.

Can the suction mount handle 100+MPH on the outside of the car?

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2010, 12:00 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Got the GoPro HD for Christmas and 1st DE is in 2 weeks. I am new with it too.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:29 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I was just looking at the system myself. I figured I'd run 720p at 30fps mode. I really don't need HD, nor do I want to have to store all that data, integrate it with TraqMate, etc. Was going to use some 8 GB sd cards I have that are 30mbs transfer rate. 8 GB should give me 2 hours of 720p video, which cover a DE (4 x 25 minute sessions).
Old 04-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that system and was going to try WVGA and r3 with Spt activated. My question is regarding you SD card. I am using a Kingston 32GB SDHC card but I don't know about the MB/s that you reference. Is that a setting on the camera or something regarding the SD card?
The most difficult thing I have dealt with is the editing of the video file that is generated from the camera. After purchasing a software that can handle the file type, I have posted some samples on Vimeo and either the site is slow or my new computer is slow b/c the video is slightly choppy. What video editing software are you using?
Old 04-05-2010, 06:20 AM
HRMinHawaii
Advanced

Originally Posted by North Coast Cab
I just picked up the Go Pro Motorsports HD set-up.
I have everything figured out I beleive, but I have some questions for those already using it.
What video resolution setting? r3, r4 or r5
What exposure setting? Cnt or SPt
What speed SD card? Mine is a 16Gb 15MB/s and it seems to chop a little.

Can the suction mount handle 100+MPH on the outside of the car?

Thanks!
I used my go pro for 3 track days at Laguna Seca. I used the suction cup mount inside the rear glass facing forward. Set at r5 and center metering the interior of the car (seat backs, dash, the back of my helmet) are perfectly exposed but the view out the windshield is overexposed. Better if I use iMovie on my Mac to crop the frame and focus more on the windshield. Probably part of the problem is my GT3 has the black carbon seat backs and all black interior.

I have a 16Gb class 4 card that worked fine. I'm told that the suction mount was ok up to 200 mph but I didn't try that on the track. I did use it on the freeway (70-80 mph) and across the Golden Gate Bridge mounted on the outside of the rear glass and it was steady. The video company at the track used Countour HD cameras and used gaffers tape to stick it on the roof of my car as well as a GT2 and another GT3.

Spot mode would be good to see out from the car if you can position the camera correctly and not be metering off the black rear view mirror.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:49 AM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Some of the SD cards list the speed in MB/sec. My best one is a 16GB 15MB/sec card, but Scandisk shows a 20MB/sec card. I did some neighborhood trials yesterday and decided it needs to be mounted closer to the front of the car. The view angle is so wide mounting on the rollbar captured too much of the interior. I found a spot on the windshield inside the drivers door I am going to use, plus I can safety strap it to the roll cage.
I figured 60FPS would be needed at 100MPH, but maybe during the practice day I will try different settings.
Will let you know after this weekend!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:57 PM
tchiers
5th Gear

I got the GoPro HD about a month ago and took it to TWS two weekends ago.

I'm using 720p30 'r2' mode to keep recorded file sizes down and since my piece of crap laptop can't even handle that smoothly. I used both class 4 and class 6 16GB cards and had no issues with either.

You'll definitely want to use Spt metering mode if you're mounting the camera inside the car, otherwise center metering will cause the outside views to get overexposed. Also, spot metering is very sensitiev to the scene placement - make sure the center of the scene is looking out the window, or it'll get the metering wrong. I ended up using a $10 Home depot mount to put a PVC pipe sticking up out of the rear of my center console on which I could mount the camera. Didn't try the suction cup outside the car, although I think I will give it a try at the next DE.

I'm very happy with the camera setup; the driving still needs improvement

Edit: If you follow the links instead of watching the embedded player, you can see the HD versions of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lcjW-uV5iM

Boxster spins in front of me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aibheh9opEE

GT3 spins right in front of me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWBX1psyH5I

I lose it and spin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW1Ezy99LoI
Old 04-05-2010, 08:49 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used the suction cup mounted to the outside of the passenger door (direct wind) up to 140 mph and it held no problem. I tethered it just in case but it didn't budge.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:15 PM
verhag
Pro

Just tested two new Go Pro HD cameras. I am on a tight budget, so these will have to do. They are fine for my needs with one issue. Using suction cup mount provided with motorsports kit, I have the most annoying "rattle", sounds like a geiger counter going off, or hundreds of ping pong ***** falling on a table. I have found posts on other forums identifying similar problem. Any one else experience this with the suction mount and if so, corrections?, fixes?...this little camera would do great for me if I could eliminate the "rattle".....again, using suction cup mount....not using quick release mount....

Help?
Old 06-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Remove the white seal from the back of the case. It will help with the rattle noise.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:41 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

I've been very happy with my goPro results... the quality of the movies is great, the sound is so/so. I usually run it at 720p 60fps. That give the widest angle (I think). The suction cup mount has been very solid, even when I've mounted it on the nose of the car (!!).

Some examples of those setting here --> http://www.youtube.com/user/iatrodesign

One thing to note: I purchased a high speed (Adata brand ?) SD card, that exceeded the minimum specs. The camera acted very erratically with the card. Prematurely shutting off -- no video recording beyond 5-6 seconds... etc. Lucky for me a nice DE buddy had the same problem and told me to run to WalMart and buy their brand. Well, thats what Im running today. Just FYI. If the camera acts up - its probably the SD card.

Quick Reply: Anyone Running Go Pro Motorsports HD?