Sponsored by:

AIM data acquisition system install [pics]

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:08 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AIM data acquisition system install [pics]

X-posted from the 997GT3 forum because thought this may be of use to you.

Hi guys,

Got the car back from the shop, feels great to be behind the wheel of this awesome machine again. Haven't had the chance to test out the new Guard LSD stack or the Endless brake fluid, but the car feels so so so good to drive.

I'm really apprehensive of mods and usually keep things pretty close to stock, making concessions only when the stock part is not meeting the functional needs for my specific requirement. I took the car into www.euautowerks.com for the AIM install and am incredibly impressed with what they came up with.

The design brief was:
1. Install the EVO4 near the vehicle's centre of gravity
2. Dash should be removable in less than 30 seconds with no tell-tale signs it was there; dash should not block real dash
3. GPS antena should be part of the interior and should not require placement during track days
4. DAS needs to be switchable so that if I don't bring a laptop to the event, the data does not get overwritten with my drive home
5. USB cable needs to somehow be accessible but also hidden

When I originally met with Courtney, I said I wanted to install the EVO4 head unit under the rear panel near the ECU so I could remove/re-install the carpet to get to it at track events. I'd then run the wires up to the dash and to the USB connector. Courtney didn't feel this would be the best approach and to let him come up with some alternatives.

Him and Lawrence installed the EVO4 on the panel near the ECU and ran the wiring up through the centre console for the USB connector and installed a switch so I can turn the unit off and on, without removing any rear panels. For the dash, they came up with an ingenious use of the cup holder and ran the cable along the centre console and transmission tunnel.

It turned out amazing! I love the way it looks and how easy it is to put away when using the car on the street. The dash isn't very heavy so the cup holder should be fine.

I datalogged my drive home (you can see the google earth view of my drive home below!) and these are the channels available:

Vertical g's
Lateral g's
Longitudinal g's
RPM
Throttle Position Sensor
Individual wheels speeds (imagine the fun I can have here with Math channels!)
Engine coolant temp
Engine oil temp
Engine oil pressure
Steering angle
Steering speed
Brake switch
Gear selected
Fuel level in litres
Battery Voltage
GPS lateral g's
GPS heading
GPS gyro

Thank you to Courtney at EU Autowerks (www.euautowerks.com) and to Joe Cooley (www.circuitmotorsports.com) for their help. Here are the install pics. Look at what an awesome job they did!

Old 03-24-2010, 02:14 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Awesome setup. Amazingly cool being able to pull all those signals straight from the ECU.

A couple thoughts on your setup:
1. On track, you probably won't get much use out of the display because of its mounting location. Mine is mounted on the dash; otherwise there's no way I'd look down/across to see it. Fine for just the once-per-lap time and possibly warning lights, but forget about predictive lap times, segment times, etc.

2. Your GPS signal on track may be pretty erratic since it's mounted in the car. My wife and I both run the same system but I put my GPS on the hood while hers is inside in the corner of her dash. My GPS signal is perfect, but hers is complete crap (lots of bad data). YMMV (i hope).
Old 03-25-2010, 02:58 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

The Evo4 unit with the Mychron3 dash is a very competitively priced unit for what you get. Amazing package not a lot of folks know about.

Quick Reply: AIM data acquisition system install [pics]