Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race cars with no titles? How does that work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 05:27 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Move to Wisconsin where there is a good chance you can get a Wisconsin title and "Hobbyist Plates" for the car.
Kind of falls outside the scope of what those are for, but other people have pulled it off.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:40 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarez Mifkin
Why would I be legally required to pay sales tax on something that will never see a public road? Are you legally required to pay sales tax on a used lawnmower that you bought at a yard sale?
Yes, the State Board Of Equalization in CA definitely battles the whole garage/yard sale "industry".

Even if you escape that, there's use tax. Which you're supposed to pay when you file your state income tax return. Whether it's a race car bought on a bill of sale or a bunch of books and CDs from Amazon...............
Old 03-19-2010, 04:25 PM
lrpman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a race car that was built in New Jersey by Budd Olson Speed Shops some time in the 1980's. I bought car in PA with just a bill of sale since it is a 1937 Chevy Body on a Racing tube frame (northern modified)
Brought the car to my shop in S.C. Since it is NOT a street legal car and 100% race car I thought I was out of the woods.
WRONG, DOT shows up at the shop wanting to see my:
Proof of Insurance
Title
License plate for the car
I ask him if he was kidding.
No he was not and wanted to SEE the 1937 Chevy I had bought since some dummy (me) asked about transporting the car in a trailer what did I need for proof of ownership.
I took him in the shop and had him SEE the 1937 Chevy. Reaction was that he was ticked off at the state for having him drive 134 miles round trip for nothing.
Long story SHORT it is smarter to have your paperwork in order, bill of sale, then PUT an Identification marking on the frame, I used a punch set with my initials and And last 4 digits of my SS number. Now if i am transporting I can just show them the stamping and no problem.

Quick Reply: Race cars with no titles? How does that work?