Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Beads - Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010 | 10:09 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Default Tire Beads - Balancing

I took some track tires in to get them mounted and balanced today. the shop recommended the use of Tire beads. they put them in the tire and they balance the tire as you drive. it eliminates the problem of weights coming off, or the tire rotating on the rim. I have not used them but it sounds like a good idea to me. Has anyone done this, any experience to share?
Old 03-09-2010 | 10:54 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

At least one mfg, Dyna beads, does not recommend their use on car tires (r.e. ones that are flat and wide) due to their inability to compensate for lateral imbalances. They were developed for tall and relatively narrow truck tires.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-10-2010 | 10:24 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

I used them in some RVs back in the day. Agree with Larry, save them for trucks. They have a tendency to settle and when you first start out and they will shake until the beads move through the thick fluid.

wheel weights don't fall off every day but your car will be out of balance for a few miles each day.
Old 03-10-2010 | 10:29 PM
tsheehan
Instructor

If you are mounting used track tires and trying to balance them with a pile of crap on them then I think it might be a solution.(not a great one but used tires with a pile of track crap are tough to balance) But for new tires stick on wheel weights with foil tape over them should be the better option. The tire beads are going to feel like you lost a wheel bearing until hey find there home.

Regards
TSheehan
Old 03-10-2010 | 10:33 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tsheehan
If you are mounting used track tires and trying to balance them with a pile of crap on them then I think it might be a solution.(not a great one but used tires with a pile of track crap are tough to balance) But for new tires stick on wheel weights with foil tape over them should be the better option. The tire beads are going to feel like you lost a wheel bearing until hey find there home.

Regards
TSheehan
I did not do it was just wondering how good it is. I would consider doing it when I was running R6's on the GT3, the 3 kept spinning the tire on the rim and balancing was a joke. Sorry to say not a problem on the Miata.
Old 03-10-2010 | 11:11 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by todinlaw
I did not do it was just wondering how good it is. I would consider doing it when I was running R6's on the GT3, the 3 kept spinning the tire on the rim and balancing was a joke. Sorry to say not a problem on the Miata.
That's an old problem easily solved. Either just balance the wheels (like I do) and live with maybe a small amount of vibration that never changes, or use Aquanet hair spray as a mounting lubricant to glue the tire to the rim. Do that and it will not spin, period.

Quick Reply: Tire Beads - Balancing