Sponsored by:

Just invested in my future - HANS

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Just invested in my future - HANS

Well I realize that most of you already use a HANS or similar device but now that I am aiming at club racing after this season, I decided that I should get a HANS.
I went to HMS in Danvers, MA. They have a great showroom and equally great staff. They're often at PCA and BMWCCA DEs in the Northeast as well.

So,....I picked up a Sport model HANS in the 30 degree variant size L which I think worked better with my frame and 6-GT3 seat. I had Derek put the anchors in my helmet since I figured he's WAY up on the learning curve for such things. I've been playing with hooking the sliding anchors in and out so that I can get used to it once I'm back in my car.

Also picked up some new bleeder bottles which have magnets on the side which I thought was really clever (instead of standing the bleed receptacles on top of the empty brake fluid cans!). Picked up a bunch of fluid as well.

Got some new nomex gloves and Molecule wash while I was there. Man, that place is one stop shopping!

In addition to my HANS, my cage is almost done in the 986 so I feel like I've bumped up my safety level tremendously for this coming season. Very exciting!
Old 02-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like someone went on a shopping spree.

See you soon!
Old 02-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Definitely a shopping spree!
See you soon Brian.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:42 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, IMO you did the very best things anyone could do when driving on a race track; cage, seats and HANS. Good going.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:44 PM
DanR
Drifting

smart move!
Old 02-27-2010, 10:02 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Nice, safety first!

What gloves did you get?
Old 02-27-2010, 10:07 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Slipper slope, isn't it?
Old 02-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comments guys. I agree....safety first.
The slope just keeps getting slipperier Mike.

The gloves I got were the HMS brand....nothing fancy but they fit like a glove.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:02 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ are you going to get some paws embroidered on them?

you can't save money on safety - but once you start shopping, it's a slippery slope, for sure
Old 02-28-2010, 01:07 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hans is a must...

if anyone uses harnesses without a hans, they are just asking for trouble...and a broken neck
Old 02-28-2010, 04:32 AM
ckdc
Track Day

Default interesting

interesting reply mobonic....I campaigned a 95 M3 in NASA Time Trials in 2008 with roll bar and 5 pt. harnesses but no HANS. I had made an offer on an OMP Pista (Halo style) seat 3 weeks before Hyperfest but hadn't sealed the deal yet.

I went off turn 8 at Summit Point to the outside at about 60 mph and spun backwards. I impacted a tire wall on the passenger side front then snapped around smacking the rear passenger quarter panel. I snapped the motor mounts right off the block. After signaling the corner workers I exited the smoking car, hopped over the wall, then hopped back to the car and shot my fire extinguisher under the hood. I walked to the track exit and when the EMT came my neck was hurting.

Went to the ER - and had broken my neck. C2 fracture- very high.

I got lucky - 3 months in a collar and I was fine, with only some lingering stiffness. My fracture was from side to side movement to the inside of the car, not forward. I suggest adding a net or Halo seat for any frequent track drivers.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brendorenn
^ are you going to get some paws embroidered on them?
If I can figure out how to do it!
Originally Posted by ckdc
interesting reply mobonic....I campaigned a 95 M3 in NASA Time Trials in 2008 with roll bar and 5 pt. harnesses but no HANS. I had made an offer on an OMP Pista (Halo style) seat 3 weeks before Hyperfest but hadn't sealed the deal yet.

I went off turn 8 at Summit Point to the outside at about 60 mph and spun backwards. I impacted a tire wall on the passenger side front then snapped around smacking the rear passenger quarter panel. I snapped the motor mounts right off the block. After signaling the corner workers I exited the smoking car, hopped over the wall, then hopped back to the car and shot my fire extinguisher under the hood. I walked to the track exit and when the EMT came my neck was hurting.

I got lucky - 3 months in a collar and I was fine, with only some lingering stiffness. My fracture was from side to side movement to the inside of the car, not forward. I suggest adding a net or Halo seat for any frequent track drivers.
Yikes! C2 = not good. Glad you're ok.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:44 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ckdc

Woah... That may be the understatement of the year. Glad you are OK!

Question: Does the HANS not stop sideways motion of the head/helmet ? I thought the tethers will also limit head/helmet turning. I guess your body slid sideways on impact(s) and the fracture was caused by your head rotating in the horizontal plane (ie, ear towards shoulder) ? Not trying to make you re-live this (sorry ), just trying to understand what it protects and what it does not. Maybe i do not understand the HANS ..
Old 02-28-2010, 06:14 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ckdc is correct.

hans will only save in a front to back scenario

for side to side (ala dale crash & death) you need 2 window net and/or a halo race seat.

If you use harnesses without a hans, its safer to just wear your 3 point.

No hans = 3 point seatblet only

Hans = harnesses

a hans will be worthless without harnesses
Old 02-28-2010, 08:00 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Coochas:

Layer the protection relative to to the threat. IMO the track demands all the protection one can get.

Quick Reply: Just invested in my future - HANS