Brake Pads for 944 LeMons Car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
We did this with a 928.

I think the car was 200bucks, and we sold a bunch of stuff from the car, near 500 worth of seats, panels, wiper motors, headlight motors, and then bolted on a bunch of used cheaps stuff, cut the springs (lowering and stiffening) and then welded a bunch of stuff on it to make it look funny, in the spirit of the rules, and wala, a Lemons car that is at the front of the pack as far as speed.

Motor?? just ran the stock one, but it leaked so bad, we spun a rod bearing when it was near 3 quarts low. Before it blew, we were putting more oil in it to last the 2 hours of one stint. but it still blew due to the original damage from lack of oil. we got a used short block that looked real good,for $200 and it went back in the car. (sold the other engine parts).
All we did was use a pan spacer to hold more oil and it is good to go for the lemons race in a couple of weeks. . The owners have already tested it and ran it for a weekend. It will be fine. Heck, I ran one in this same for for about 5 years on the track, with 170,000miles on it and it was fine when we pulled the engine to upgrade. bearings looked new and were original, 25 year old parts.!
944-928's have the exact same problem...OIL STARVATION....plain and simple...the wetsump in both gets undercovered in left turns and sucks air....especially above 5000rpm..... I HEARD the piston hit the wall from the 944 that blew up on practice day at the last lemons race....

Yes there are lots of things you can do to save the engine...but they ALL are too expensive for lemons....so the best solution is to KEEP THE RPMS DOWN in the turns & make sure the engine doesn't leak or burn too much oil.... Are last engine died for several reasons.....it burned too much oil, leaked even more and we were turning too many RPM's especially in turns....
Old 02-25-2010, 08:56 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Back on topic - I'd definitely recommend the KFP's - I've got some spectacular wear out of them, going at least a season on the 924. Obviously they'll go a shorter distance on the more powerful car, but still...

As for a Lemons 944 - I'd just do rod bearings and front end seals as needed (obviously new belts though). Doesn't need to be perfect, just durable. If anything, cut your own crank scraper out and run that too.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:24 AM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick E
Doesn't matter - 944s make awful lemons cars, so you probably won't be on track very often/long anyway. At the last three LeMons South races, the judges have just laughed at us and the other 944 teams and told us they were bad LeMons cars. Based on what I've seen and experienced, they were right.
Why? I ask because we are thinking of running one this year.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:25 AM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Oops sorry should have read the whole thread first.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:58 AM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to clarify - just because we blew up in Test and Tune last time we will still be campaining our 944 in more Lemons races. We picked up an engine for $100 and will do the rod bearings before swapping it in. Price will be covered by our redisual value from Jay.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:39 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our 944 finished a 24 hour ChumpCar race last fall here in Portland. Our only issue was a failed fuel pump, most likely due to detritus coming off the tank walls. The car had sat for almost 3 years in a field before we got it. We did only the basics like water pump, plugs, and belts. It literally ran for all of 15-20 minutes total before we started the race. No rod bearings or any internal engine stuff. Just basics and fluids. Click the link in my sig to see some of the early pics... it was rough!

I read the GRM report, and have seen all the other stuff about them being poor cars. Besides the amount of work we did to prep our $500 944, I don't think it was a bad car at all. We far outhandled 95% of the other cars on track which made it a blast in traffic. Even on old shocks.

Anyway for brakes we went with Porterfield R-4 on the front, which most of us in the region run on our 44 Cup cars. Due to our stock ride height, soft suspension, open diff, and rookie racers, I opted to install an older set of 50% Hawk HP+ on the rear to avoid locking them up going into turns. The overall balance was great and we had no issues whatsoever. The pads wear very well and made it through the whole race with no issue.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads for 944 LeMons Car?