Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 Clutch or Pressure Plate failures - Anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 01:22 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by airplayn
I just had a catastrophic failure of the pressure plate on a replacement Sachs clutch I put in my 328iC last year. It looks like on of the straps failed and the pressure plate shattered tearing a hole in my bell housing. I have seen posts as old as 2007 complaining of this problem and there is a VW technical bulletin out on failure of defective Sachs clutches. Has anybody got any response from Sachs on covering this type of collateral damage caused by their defective strap holding the pressure plate to the cover?.
I have spoken with Sachs Motorsports, it's really not a Sachs problem, they aren't defective. I can pretty much guess what happened with yours since all the failures happen the same way. Harsh decelleration, usually a missed shift although a variety of other ways it can happen, then the car seems ok but usually starts with a weird driveline vibration and then usually on a high torque upshift like to 4th under full power it goes K-boomie with out any real warning. Am I close ?
You also are on real sticky tires with a high locking diff, probably lightweight flywheel, and seems to be many times a higher than stock friction clutch disc.
Those tend to be the circumstances most seem to have that have seen this issue which makes sense once you figure out what happens.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 203 Posts

Last I spoke to Stan from G-box, he was talking about a NEW PP they sourced to stop that problem in the BoxS and 996....Maybe check that out..and call Stan...

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 03-19-2010, 10:40 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
Last I spoke to Stan from G-box, he was talking about a NEW PP they sourced to stop that problem in the BoxS and 996....Maybe check that out..and call Stan...
A few people are already making PP's with stronger straps, one is already mentioned here that will modify/replace your straps on your PP of choice. I think it's more important to know how it happens and to try to prevent that. By design when the PP goes it could be saving your motor. The real answer may be to use a weaker clutch disc, but most people don't want to do that because that will give up some possible performance.

Quick Reply: 996 Clutch or Pressure Plate failures - Anyone ?