Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R comps vs. Street tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 04:17 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've run most options over the years. I like "real" cups in the warm and dry, but settled on shaved (5/32) RA1s as my "only" R-comp DOT tire.

I don't like the sizing of the NT01 for the 997. The rear diameter is only 25.4, which is a whole inch smaller than we need. Don't want to mess up things like ABS, PSM, odometer / speedometer, gearing, etc.

When the PS2s are toast on the 05 Boxster S my kids DE with I'll put a set of 245/275 40 Nitto NT05s on, maybe NT01s depending on what stage they are at.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Please disregard my question re. where to buy Nitto's online. I found the recent thread on the subject.

M
FYI, I just received a set of NTO1s from onlinetire.com. I had never used them (or even heard of them) but their prices were good and they came through. Make sure you factor in shipping when you price out a set. If you have a local dealer, they will often match an online price. I can't wait to get mine on the car (which will be after I dig the car out of a snow pile).
Old 02-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
The appeal of RA-1 is not the wet performance. It is the longevity for performance. The tires run great right up until they cord. However, RA-1s really needed to be shaved, so the wet issue becomes moot. Same goes for when the tread wears down. The NT-01 is also a good grip tire with long life - but it typically runs better at full tread than the RA-1s did.

The MPSC is not a great tire IMO for short sessions. They take too long to get operating temperature.

-td
Of course, yes, thanks for clarifying. In my mind, I was thinking of the wet perfromance of the RA-1 as an "additional" advantage. But to your point, once they are good and worn in (shaved or otherwise), that's academic.

Best,

Matt
Old 02-19-2010, 04:54 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Matt -

Can't help noticing your location. I just don't think that R-Comp's are safe for street use unless the weather is absolutely dry. If you swap them at home and arrive and drive, that is workable. I carry track tires these days.

But

Let me throw in a different suggestion. Look to your alignment FIRST. You can get a pretty aggressive alignment and still get perfectly good street use. My previous car was a 4S. I put in GT3 control arms and dialed the camber up much higher than OEM would allow. Something like 2.6-2.8 in the front. It transformed the car and it handled wonderfully on PS2's. I put 18K of street use on top of the 44+ track days I did with it (yes of course I went through more than one set if tires). I eventually did put on a set of MPSC's and enjoyed the change in handling that R-Comp's gave for a couple of events before trading the car in.

My car was already aligned well for MPSC's even while using PS'2. It was fine on the street but MUCH improved for the track. The guy who bought my car didn't bother to change the alignment even though he had no plans for track use.

The best money you can spend is on a more aggressive (better) alignment over just switching to rubber that is unwise for wet street use.

Someone else suggested proper track seats and harness. That will absolutely improve your driving experience (you'll need a roll bar too), but before you go there, get the car aligned as aggressively as you would for R-Comp's, enjoy the handling and learn to drive it to the max.

My humble two cents.

dan
Old 02-19-2010, 05:45 PM
nzedjared
Track Day

+1 RA-1
Toyo's Only even got me tire sizes that were not listed on the Toyo site.

From experience, even at 45 degrees and quite wet, these things have much grip on my 944s2.

8/32 new depth (which I started from); even shaved to 6/32 people are indicating good wet and dry traction.

I can tell you more after this weekend when I've got back to back track days with temps 35-60 all weekend.

Also - anyone heard of the "reversibility" of RA-1s in the dry. Read a post that says they are only directional in the wet so reverse the mounting if you've got camber to even the wear (good for us who drive to the track with them on the car).
Old 02-20-2010, 09:26 AM
htron435
Advanced

Yes, RA1's are reversible in the dry. Great to even out the tire wear.

Quick Reply: R comps vs. Street tires