Help me design Yellow Student Curriculm

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:12 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SH || NC
“Ability to drive their car to at least 80% of the cars capabilities in a safe and controlled manner”

Forgive me if I am off base, I’ve been in White solo only a couple times, but being able to drive one’s car @ 80% of the car's capabilities is a pretty tall order I think and is closer to a Red or Black assignemnt which doesn’t really jibe with a student group.

In White I can still request an instructor if I like, but passing, being passed, tires, etc. are all fundamentals I hope would be mastered before driving at such a high level.
The topic is Yellow Student Curriculum, where Yellow falls into the following progression of run groups:

Green (novice)
Blue
Blue Solo
Yellow
*White
*Red (instructor).

*Club racers are either in the white or red run group. If you would expect club racers to drive at more than 80% of the capability of their car, then is 80% not appropriate for those in the run group just behind the club racers?
Old 02-16-2010, 01:06 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me clarify that my comments were based on the OP’s request for feedback about a student run group at a DE, not Club Racing. I don’t much about Club Racing, except that I’m sure it’s a blast.

Actually, now that I’m paying more attention, he directed his post to DE Instructors, so my apologies.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:33 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Would be nice if PCA National created a universal scale. We have Green, Yellow + Yellow Solo, White, Black, and Red (instructor). So please take that into consideration when considering my chapter's advancement criteria.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:54 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, great feedback here. I'm keeping a list of everyone's suggestions.

The biggest question I have is on the best way to present the information. I can speak for myself when I say that I hate to sit in a one way infomercial type classroom, listening to the instructor tell me about how great they are.

What I am wondering is how can I utilize technology (YouTube, video, data aquisition, etc) to add a visual element to the classroom. I am looking to see what has worked in the past and where people feel like they could have improved.

Feedback from current or past yellow students it very much welcomed.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:54 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I believe that one of the greatest teaching tools in DE is riding with the instructor. They can show you what needs to be demonstrated instead of getting the sage advice when you are about to enter a difficult of corners.

As far as a check list it would be nice to have but then you would end up with a punch list mentality, something I do not know would be beneficial. But it would cut down on the political promotions that you see occurring.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you use technology, make sure it works, and the lighting conditions support it.

I know some people just can't absorb science, but I find the friction circle to be the best paradigm for describing what tires do, what you can do to affect what your tires do, and how to understand vehicle dynamics. Once you understand the friction circles, you have a framework for discussing virtually everything that happens to the car on track.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:51 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trackjunky

What I am wondering is how can I utilize technology (YouTube, video, data aquisition, etc) to add a visual element to the classroom.
1) How about an old fashioned steering wheel? You'd be amazed at how much better a real object can focus the attention of classroom students compared to an imaginary object.

2) To that, you could add additional props, such as a rope that hangs from the bottom of the steering wheel with a loop at the end to hold your right foot. That would allow you to demonstrate the relationship between steering input and throttle input (e.g. how to feather in throttle only as you unwind the steering wheel). The imagery also gives students an mental model to remember when they are on the track.

3) You also might find a few little tricks to use with a computer at this site for animations of various physics problems...

Virtual Physics Lab

There are several simulations available on friction, springs, velocity, etc... If computer/network access is a problem, perhaps you could come up with ways to replicate these software models using real-world objects.

4) Just thinking out of the box here... how about a live video feed from a car in a different run group that is on-track during the classroom session? You could have a blast with group-critique on both the driver and their instructor - now that could turn into a standing-room-only peanut gallery that no student could pass up!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:18 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

ervtx - great recommendations. Maybe replaying video from instructor laps and have students critique driving technique. I can send an instructor, or myself, out with an agenda and see if students can visually pick up positives and negatives from the video.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked to talk about topical based things, like balancing the car, or trailbraking or how to properly brake, steer and accelerate, and then blend that into how it can be applied to the driving the track that we are at. It is a lot more informative than a general review of "how to drive" and it seems to tie in well with the way most students think about how to develop and improve their driving. You can spend an entire classroom on what may seem like a small item, but applied in context across the spectrum of driving can be very informative & entertaining.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 865 Posts

ervtx - great recommendations. Maybe replaying video from instructor laps and have students critique driving technique. I can send an instructor, or myself, out with an agenda and see if students can visually pick up positives and negatives from the video.
Now THAT sounds like fun! I volunteer.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-16-2010, 09:28 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Now THAT sounds like fun! I volunteer.

Let me guess...

Concocting and executing faux pas for them to catch will be an unnatural act, but you'll manage somehow...
Old 02-16-2010, 09:38 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Hell, just show them my videos. That will pretty well cover all the negatives.

I think this is a great idea.

At the yellow level, they should know the line, so it really should be about driving techniques more so. Bill, you might not remember, but you helped me in-car understand the difference between a turn in that is too quick, and a turn in that's decisive. Helping them understand the cadences associated with hands and feet would be good.

A class on car upgrades is also a good one at the yellow level. They are all itching to do SOMETHING to the car, but don't know what makes sense. Seats and harnesses, brake pads, brake fluid, tires,... Walking them through what makes sense and what doesn't, along with the consequences of some of the changes (track pads might overpower street tires, etc...) would be good.

I actually think video of some offs and wrecks is not a bad suggestion too. With all due respect to guys that are in yellow right now, yellow students are the equivalent of teenagers in some respects. They don't yet realize they are mortal. I know because I was one not very long ago (yellow student that is). I wouldn't do it for sensationalism, I would do it to work with them on understanding the cause for the off.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Classroom discussion about safety equipment would be appropriate. There is a reason that advanced drivers, instructors and racers all wear a HANS device, have the proper seats, harnesses, rollbars or cages and wear the proper clothing every time we go out.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Let me guess...

Concocting and executing faux pas for them to catch will be an unnatural act, but you'll manage somehow...

Hahaha! Exactly.

Common mistakes?

-being early (consequences)
-missing apexes by miles (consequences)
-jamming on the brakes, too hard & too late (consequences)
-etc

Old 02-16-2010, 11:11 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Hahaha! Exactly.

Common mistakes?

-being early (consequences)
-missing apexes by miles (consequences)
-jamming on the brakes, too hard & too late (consequences)
-etc

Oh you hit it dead on!

(only took you 53 years to get something right )

Quick Reply: Help me design Yellow Student Curriculm