Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you consider a drift-prepped car as a track car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you consider a drift-prepped car as a track car?

The car in question was lovingly prepped (an RX7 with LS1 swap) to a high standard (stripped, seam-welded, cage) and is remarkably tasteful (body-in-white look). The only things overtly "drifty" are the Tein SuperDrift coilovers, something called a "Weld Loct 4 Differential," and a rear brake application bar (hydraulic application). I can't find much on the coilovers to indicate their suitability for tracking.

I'm probably not interested as I still need a street-legal track ho, but I was wondering how far a drift car is from a track car. (No affiliation whatsoever with the seller.)

Here's a link for more thoughts.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...96866936935034

More specs from the owner/seller:

Chassis: Mazda FD33 RX-7 Engine: Chevrolet LS1 Modifications: Engine/Drivetrain

Thunder Racing Cam
Crane Cams Valve Springs and Retainers
Custom Ceramic Coated Headers
Thunder Racing Tensioner
Thunder Racing Power Steering Pulley
Custom Adjustable Power Steering Valve
Canton Racing Accusump
Polished Valve Covers
Hinson SuperCars Front Crossmember
Hinson SuperCars Fuel System
Hinson SuperCars Cooling System
Hinson SuperCars Clutch System
Spec 6-Puck Clutch
Hinson SuperCars Driveshaft
Weld Locd Version 4 Differential
Corvette Engine Covers

Footwork
Tein SuperDrift Coilovers
Rotary Extreme Rear Toe Links
Polished Control Arms
SuperNow! Tie Rod Kit
Ceramic Coated Brake Calipers
Chassis/Body
Fully Stripped and Seam Welded Chassis
Extra Holes Filled, Extra Studs and Brackets Removed
Hollowed Out Doors
Custom 8-Point Roll Cage
C-West Body Kit
Rotary Extreme Carbon Fiber Wing
Interior
Sparco Steering Wheel
Sparco Corsa Seats
Sparco 5-Point 3" Harnesses
Saga 60mm Gauges
Custom Switch Panel
CNC Hydraulic Hand Brake
Old 02-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No - the suspension on drift cars is specifically designed to instigate an oversteer. Although, if the price is right I am sure it could be adjusted to work on a traditional road course. That car does look fun though.

C.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:24 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It can be converted. You will probably need to revise the suspension to get to work the way you want it to, but to some exent that will occur on any track car.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:45 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drift setup includes some radical mods to steering geometry as well. These aim to achieve an increased range of steering deflection to allow a greater sustained yaw angle. I'm sure you could restore it to a more sane track-worthy setup, but you'll be buying bits and setup that need to be removed/replaced immediately.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:07 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Let me start off by saying I have never seen the car in question, nor do I have any interest or association in it. Just figured I would address the thread since drifting is how I spend the majority of my track time now.
Originally Posted by Chads996
No - the suspension on drift cars is specifically designed to instigate an oversteer. Although, if the price is right I am sure it could be adjusted to work on a traditional road course. That car does look fun though.
Actually it's not, it has more to do with adjusting grip that instigating oversteer. Car setups is much more similar to that of a rally car, we don't just crank the rear sway, put a ton of rear spring rate in, crank the rear shocks to full stiff and go out there. I run the exact same setup in my Z at Watkins Glen that I do when I'm drifting (though I do dial out a bit of rear camber when drifting to try and promote even tire wear and.... *GASP* a bit of grip).

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Drift setup includes some radical mods to steering geometry as well. These aim to achieve an increased range of steering deflection to allow a greater sustained yaw angle. I'm sure you could restore it to a more sane track-worthy setup, but you'll be buying bits and setup that need to be removed/replaced immediately.
That car has no aggressive steering mods. It has a set of SuperNow! Tie rods ends (basically your standard heim/pillowball setup) and a set of inner rack spacers. It doesn't have modded knuckles (by it's description) or any changed geometry. The rack spacers purely allow the track to travel further, which in the case of an oversteer situation on the track will give you even more of a chance to save the spin.

Personally, if I were you looking at that car, I would not hesitate to buy it based on the "perception" of drift cars around here. That's a very nicely prepped car.

Oh, forgot to mention, you'll want to put a normal 1.5 way or quaife in that car. The welded diff will be a blast going around corners, but not what you're looking for
Old 02-15-2010, 02:41 PM
krystar
Drifting

a welded diff will be fun drifting..but if u try to drive grip, it'll understeer alot on off-throttle, like corner entry. not to mention horrible tire wear.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you ever driven and early 911 with bicycle size tires without any aerodynamics?
I would probably feel right at home there...haha

Quick Reply: Would you consider a drift-prepped car as a track car?