Sponsored by:

Joe Stimola-RIP

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 01:22 PM
the90
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joe Stimola-RIP

Sad news, condolences to his family and friends.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:18 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Sorry to hear this. RIP Joe.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:31 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Very sad, Joe knew SO MUCH about suspension and shocks... it was really great to work with him on a Koni Challenge car, everything he did made it better and better. I always said hi to him when I saw him at later races, and he was always really friendly and anxious to work together again. He will be missed.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:06 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I didn't really know Joe but he helped me a couple of times at the track. RIP
Old 02-14-2010, 07:53 PM
2000gt3cup
Rennlist Member

This is really sad. Joe and I just met this past fall when he did a last minute fix on my motons... then he and I got together at Winterfest but he was not feeling great but made no mention of anything else... he called me during the 48 hour to say he was not going to make it ... He mentioned coming back to NY for a surgery but would be back south within the week.. nothing serious... we were to get in contact next week on one of my cars.... He made me feel like his best friend in such a short time.. I will miss him

carroll
Old 02-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

My thoughts are with Nancy right now.

Joe was one of those rare people who, when you were talking to him, made you feel like the most important person in his universe at that moment...most likely because you were. Whether hanging out in his trailer at a Sebring during a 12 Hour circus, or just having a brief conversation as he buzzed around an SCCA race, checking up on his friends, he was always happy, friendly and knowledgable.

There are things in racing that are science, and things that are art. What Joe did was art. It may have involved hardware and measurable quantities, but there was artistry what he did, how he would debrief you, in what he would build for you.

He will be missed.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am simply stunned. I was looking for a set dampers and I decided to send him an email for a new set of shocks. Joe did call me up at the office, while he was at the Daytona 24 testing. I was just totally surprised that he would call me! I was not even a customer yet, and he made me feel like I was really important, me, the guy with a 944... Just like Der Professor said:
when you were talking to him, made you feel like the most important person in his universe at that moment...most likely because you were.
I decided to follow his advices, I bought a set of shocks from Angelo and I will install within a few weeks what he recommended to me.

Thanks again, for the last time Joe... RIP.

Charles A. Toupin
Old 02-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Same great experience as others with Joe. I first read about him in an article in Grassroot Motorsports and called him to talk to him about re-valving my shocks. When I had a question, Joe would call back and say he was at so and so track where the pros were testing. He will be missed. Hopefully his son who was running the shop will continue the tradition. RIP.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I got to spend a few hours with Joe one Saturday when I delivered my GT3 shocks to him. What a nice guy. I was planning to visit him again in the spring just to say hi. This is a true loss. RIP Joe.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:04 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Similar experiences with Joe with my Koni 996. He called me 5 times within an hour to make sure I was satisfied with his answers and understood what he was conveying. I didn't know him for more than 10 minutes and he made me feel like I knew him for years. RIP.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...la-passes-away
Old 02-15-2010, 07:56 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RIP Joe. I did not know him well, but his reputation was well known by everyone in the community. If you have a story, I understand that the family is following this thread on ApexSpeed. Joe was first, and foremost, an open wheel guy and will be missed by all who have ever met him, or even heard about him.

ApexSpeed Thread
Old 02-15-2010, 09:32 PM
TwoSeatsOrLess
Intermediate

Agreed, nothing but great things to say; was very sad to hear of Joe's passing, he was a great guy and truly talented in his craft. Worked with him on some HSR and SCCA stuff (which he was extremely helpful on, and not just suspension issues), each time it was like you were the only person at the track. We can all learn a thing or two from the type of man he was as well as how he approached his work. We are better for knowing and learning from such a man.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:37 AM
JagtechOhio
1st Gear

Default Godspeed Joe

Dear Joe,

Thank you for the guidance and support you gave to so many of us in the U.S. racing community. The list of racers you mentored is a representation of the All-Star commitment you gave to the sport we love, and we love you for it..

We will miss you, for now. See you in the Paddock.

Andy

1982 Scca Runoffs. Nancy Stimola, "baby Mac", Joe Stimola
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2010, 02:19 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

From the people at Driving Impressions:

Dear SCCA members and friends,

Following is the funeral arrangement info for Joe Stimola....

Stimola, who has been involved in racing for over four decades, particularly in the junior formula car ranks, passed away on February 13th, following complications from heart surgery.

First becoming involved in racing in the late 1960’s, Stimola helped numerous teams and drivers reach both their goals and the pinnacle of the sport. Gaining initial prominence as a Formula Ford engine builder during the heydays of the class in 1970s, the New York state native further enhanced his reputation in the sport as a leading engineer. Specializing in shocks under the SRP engineering banner, Stimola not only captured five SCCA National Championship titles, but worked with many of the top drivers in motorsports, including Boris Said, Chip Ganassi, Bobby Rahal, Danny Sullivan, Justin Bell, Guy Cosmo, Davey Jones, Bruce McInnis, Johnny O’Connell, Eric Bachelart, Bobby Brown and Paul Newman. His passion for the sport however meant that he also often went out is way to help and advise newcomers to racing. Stimola gained great pleasure in helping drivers improve and move up the motorsports ladder.

“Joe knew everyone, and was always willing to help and suggest ways to make the car better to everyone, even competitors to a team he was working with, all in the interest of better competition,” stated Mike Rand, Series Administrator of the F2000 Championship Series and long-time friend. “He was a racer to his core. I am proud to call him my friend for more than 40 years. We didn’t always agreed on things, but we respected each other immensely. I will miss Joe terribly. He'll be missed by everyone not just in the F2000 Championship Series paddock, but throughout the open-wheel community.”

The Stimola family will be holding a wake for Joe Stimola on Thursday, February 18, 2-4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. Funeral services will be held on Friday, February 19, 2-4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. at the Whitting Funeral Home in Glen Head, New York. On Saturday, February 20, at 11:30 a.m. church services will be held at the reformed Church of Locust Valley. Afterwards there will be a celebration of life in Joe Stimola's honor at the Metropolitan Catering Hall. All services are open to everyone.

I would like to thank everyone for the responses. I received hundreds of responses on Joe's passing and each and every one was heart felt. I know Joe is looking down at us smiling because he was loved by so many. This is an amazing sport because of the people and the friendships that grow from it. God bless Joe........

One last thing.....Angelo Zarra was a student prodigy of Joe and worked so closely with him. Next time you see Angelo just see how he is......this is not easy for him and last my deepest condolences to the Stimola family.

Sincerely,
Robert Zecca

Quick Reply: Joe Stimola-RIP