Sponsored by:

The true meaning of throttle steer

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:50 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
As has been said (and as I mentioned on the blog comments), it's a ****-heavy car on skinny bias-ply tires. Still impressive driving, but those tires require a lot of movement to go fast. Much easier to control than you would think.
Agreed. That's one of the downsides of the R-Comp or slick tires we all prefer to race for faster laptimes, but just imagine how much more fun our Race videos would be if we were forced to run in the Stock classes with true street tires (Tirewear ratios of 200+)?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:54 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

That would be awesome!

Originally Posted by cgomez
Agreed. That's one of the downsides of the R-Comp or slick tires we all prefer to race for faster laptimes, but just imagine how much more fun our Race videos would be if we were forced to run in the Stock classes with true street tires (Tirewear ratios of 200+)?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would separate those who have real car control from those who don't.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:28 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Vintage racing rocks and Spa is simply gorgeous!

Remember those days when 911s were small, lightweight cars?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:06 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
It would separate those who have real car control from those who don't.
Maybe, maybe not. Street tires tend to have a more forgiving grip curve than racing slicks from the data I've seen. Slicks tend to be far more peaky in their grip generation and much more sensitive to slip angle. i.e. harder to balance at the limit and with a greater dropoff when the limit is exceeded (which makes recovery harder).
Old 02-16-2010, 12:52 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Slicks tend to be far more peaky in their grip generation and much more sensitive to slip angle. i.e. harder to balance at the limit and with a greater dropoff when the limit is exceeded (which makes recovery harder).
Radials only? Or what bias plys have you run? (Wish we had data 25 years ago........)
Old 02-16-2010, 04:35 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Makes me wonder how many retirements they had due to over revving. It is easier to control than it looks and we sit here squirming as we're used to modern tyres. That car seemed to have trouble going straight even. He clearly felt confidant that his competitors were watching their mirrors also. Some tight moments for qualifying.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by race911
Radials only? Or what bias plys have you run? (Wish we had data 25 years ago........)
Yeah, sorry...I'm speaking of grip curves I've seen of various radials in relation to the discussion of switching from running modern R-comps/slicks to running on street tires as cgomez mentioned. I think such a change may have the opposite effect, actually making it easier for ok drivers to keep up with good drivers.

I haven't ever seen a grip curve of a bias-ply on paper, but I drove on bias-ply Goodyears for a few years in the old Formula/Star Mazda cars enough to draw an imaginary curve in my head. They are worlds apart from a radial slick regarding how they make grip. It's too bad this sort of data isn't easier to come by. Tire manufacturers seem to keep this sort of info really secretive.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, Danny! Where've you been? You probably have your hands full this month w. the games in town.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:08 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, sorry...I'm speaking of grip curves I've seen of various radials in relation to the discussion of switching from running modern R-comps/slicks to running on street tires as cgomez mentioned. I think such a change may have the opposite effect, actually making it easier for ok drivers to keep up with good drivers.

I haven't ever seen a grip curve of a bias-ply on paper, but I drove on bias-ply Goodyears for a few years in the old Formula/Star Mazda cars enough to draw an imaginary curve in my head. They are worlds apart from a radial slick regarding how they make grip. It's too bad this sort of data isn't easier to come by. Tire manufacturers seem to keep this sort of info really secretive.
This is true, for sure by feel (less grippy tires are more controllable while sliding). I think the data (on "sliding easiness") can be simplified as the difference in friction coefficient in Static friction (grip "on rails" or low slip angle) and dynamic friction (grip while sliding). Both compound and tread design matters. For example, I drive my GT2 with winter tires (december through April) and you can hold ludicrous amounts of sideway slip while being much easier to control (The sliding grip up to 10-15deg doesnt change much) than say the PSCs or hoosiers.

I agree with you that this probably makes those "lesser" tires easier to slide, but managing those high slip angles with precision (and to the limit of what the tire can manage... seems like up to 20-30deg in those old tires) requires a LOT of skill too. What I'm sure we all agree is that it looks a LOT cooler than our Hoosier-clean fast laps.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:32 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Henriksen
Hey, Danny! Where've you been? You probably have your hands full this month w. the games in town.
Yes indeed and with a new son that joined the family in December

Hope you are doing well my friend.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:53 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJF1

Congrats Danny!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
You'd be surprised at how progressive the slide is on those "old" tires. With today's sticky rubber and big drop between hooked up and gone, the older, narrower tires never seemed to just let go. They would predictably drift from the point of beginning to slide right up to fully hung out.
+1

I loved the lap around Spa sliding around, looked like a ton of fun and was pretty damn fast, awesome driving!
Old 02-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJF1

Congratulations!!
Old 02-21-2010, 04:56 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director