Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIM EVO4 & Mychron 3 Dash thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:37 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AIM EVO4 & Mychron 3 Dash thoughts?

Hi there,

I've been researching data acquisition systems for the past few weeks and have spent hours upon hours playing with the various software packages and pouring over the hardware features.

I had narrowed down my decision to the Traqmate and Racepak systems, but then stumbled on a new offering from AIM, the EVO4+Mychron3 dash package. The price is $400 more than the other competitors, but the AIM has the following appealing features:
  • CAN interface to get RPM's and much more
  • Robust software with a proper production ready interface (Racepak's feels like a beta)
  • Time tested hardware from many years of supplying karting teams with their Mychron line (I had a mychron dash in my karting days and loved it)
Before I go for the package, are there any caveats or gotchas that I should know about? It's a pretty decent chunk of change for a DE guy ($1400).
Thanks in advance for your insight and advice. Cheers
Old 02-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I can talk about the three dashes you have up there for a while. If you want to call me I'll PM you my number and we can talk tomorrow. All three have pluses and minues. Right now in my SRF I have a Traqmate and an EVO4 with the Formula Wheel. I love both of them but they are very different animals.

If I were in your shoes I would without a doubt get the EVO4 setup. The combo of the ECU protocols and GPS are pure gold. Depending on the generation of 997GT3 you get either 16 or 20 ECU feeds which include individual wheel speeds, throttle position, RPM, steering angle, etc.

While it may be 400 more you are saving a lot of time and effort getting those data channels with one simple plug.

FWIW

997GT3 Mk 2 diagrams http://aim-sportline.com/download/ec...MS_101_eng.pdf

997GT3 Mk 1 diagrams http://aim-sportline.com/download/ec....1_100_eng.pdf
Old 02-11-2010, 08:48 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

FWIW, I've been using an AIM MyChron3 XG Log for some years now. Great durability, very happy with the software and sensor management. Only complaint is the lack of GPS, now that I've had a chance to mess with GPS on other peoples' cars (my car has no CAN bus to worry about connecting to), which this would obviously address.

Quick Reply: AIM EVO4 & Mychron 3 Dash thoughts?