Danica First NASCAR Race Recap

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:27 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,266 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Many of you guys bash the hell out of Alonso and no one tells you to back off. And he's won the WDC and a good number of F1 races. To the point that there are many racers who never win and are also rans, they don't get the kind of publicity that Danika gets. I just feel that the attention she gets is unwarranted for what she produces. I don't wish bad for her, just think it should be proportional to her accomplishments. Like it or not, I'm not a fan of her mediocrity. She could change my opinion by winning consistently.
It's called looking good. She gets the attention because she is a top 7 driver (on average in the IRL) which means she beats most of her competition and HAS won a race. Before she won that race, she was bashed for never winning a race.

Race911 is correct, she is not on the top team, so you have to measure her against her teammates, of which she has very good competition and she did remarkedly well the past couple years.

As a comparision, if your measured against your teammates, look at Earnhart Jr. He's on a Hendricks Motorsports team where they have the best equipment and best crew. Teammates came in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, and Jr. is nowhere to be found. If that were the case with Danica, then you could make an argument, but she's not.

Like her or not, she has made huge strides in her racecraft where she used to crash out consistently, and is now consistently near the front.

Does she get unproportional attention to her acheivements? Yes, but it's because she's a woman, and looks good. However, she makes it interesting.

I can tell you, I've never watched an ARCA race. I actually made time in the day where I planned to be in front of the TV to watch this one because of her. Just to see what she would do and she didn't disappoint.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
For a guy that's never raced a stocker and didn't have any testing due to illness, or experience on ovals, I thought Pinquet did well. But what is it about him and crashing? It seems to follow him whereever he goes
That was the joke that no one got at Singapore. Piquet didn't need to be told to crash. It probably would have happened anyway.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She obviously has a top notch crew and car, and enough talent to succeed. Good to see it. Let's hope she gains notoriety and then brings that back into the road course environment.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
The level of misogyny on display in this thread (and others about Danica) is mind-boggling.
VR, considering that you always call Alonso "Little Miss Sunshine" among other dispersions, and demean him by insinuating that he is a woman, I think your statement is is a little hypocritical.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

VR, considering that you always call Alonso "Little Miss Sunshine" among other dispersions, and demean him by insinuating that he is a woman, I think your statement is is a little hypocritical.

Bull****. First, I have never called him that. I refer to him as Fernanda Alonsette, implying that nhe is a whiny sissy. Second, look up misogyny. It is a latent hatred of women and their achievements. Nothing I have ever said about Alonsette is in any way related to misogyny.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

VR may be sexist, but I seriously doubt that he hates women.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Well I don't hate them either. Just think she gets the attention because of her sex rather than her accomplishments. Michael Schumacher is a champion among champions and who I compare race drivers to. Danika is nowhere close. Like I said, I'm a fan of her bikini pictures, not her racing stats.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Bull****. First, I have never called him that. I refer to him as Fernanda Alonsette, implying that nhe is a whiny sissy. Second, look up misogyny. It is a latent hatred of women and their achievements. Nothing I have ever said about Alonsette is in any way related to misogyny.
By feminizing his name to suggest that he is less than a man, you are walking a thin line on this one. Besides, the others here who do it don't get told to give it a break. Everyone has those they root for and those that they don't.

We will all just have to agree to disagree about Danika's accomplishments.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:16 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,266 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Michael Schumacher is a champion among champions and who I compare race drivers to. Danika is nowhere close. Like I said, I'm a fan of her bikini pictures, not her racing stats.
You can't compare her to Michael Schumacher because he has no peer. Who can stand up to such a legend and Icon? He is the greatest of the great and even then, you have halfwits like A. Wayne that will minimize his acheivements and accomplishments at the drop of a hat.

Let's face it, there will always be detractors for everyone and anyone. You don't like Danica and that will probably never change, but as we move forward, it seems that is becoming the minority opinion as compared to just a few years ago. She is winning over more and more people.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

By feminizing his name to suggest that he is less than a man, you are walking a thin line on this one. Besides, the others here who do it don't get told to give it a break. Everyone has those they root for and those that they don't.

We will all just have to agree to disagree about Danika's accomplishments.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

She is winning over more and more people.
People yes, races no.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

You are the master of come backs. Still disagree.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

VR, considering that you always call Alonso "Little Miss Sunshine" among other dispersions....
I believe I was responsible for giving Alonso her official Rennlist title of 'Little Miss Sunshine'...
Old 02-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

You can't compare her to Michael Schumacher because he has no peer. Who can stand up to such a legend and Icon? He is the greatest of the great

Jimmy Johnson?
Old 02-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

The point I was trying to make is people here dump on Alonso and nobody says squat. I have a difference of opinion on Danika and I'm called misogynistic and told to can it. Double standard I would say.

Quick Reply: Danica First NASCAR Race Recap