Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Danica First NASCAR Race Recap

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 05:51 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the commentators were a bit too hyped over her race, but I do think she drove quite well transitioning to an entirely different car setup. I remember Donohue telling us at PCA meeting that driving Nascar was much harder than he ever thought it would be. It took him an entire season just to get to the front running the truck series.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:29 PM
JClark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"OMG CAR CONTROL!!!"

What a revolutionary idea for a racing driver!!!!!
Old 02-07-2010, 06:32 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bobt993
I think the commentators were a bit too hyped over her race, .

Yup, I'd be pissed if I was one of the other 42 drivers, let alone one of the other 5 women. I watched it with my wife, and explained it was sort of the feeding frenzy that goes on in a car forum like this when a woman joins. Dudes are all over her. LOL

Last edited by VaSteve; 02-07-2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-07-2010, 07:34 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

See, I don't get that kind of attitude. Where is it written that they all get the same amount of exposure?

She WAS the draw for that race, plain and simple.

As a result of her being in the race, more people than ever watched it... myself included. I think it was the first ARCA race I've ever seen.

The other drivers should be ecstatic to have had her there, as it gave them a chance to do something to be noticed to a much larger audience.

If they failed to do so, then too bad, so sad... build a bridge and get over it.

If I were them, I'd not be pissed at her for "hogging" the spotlight, I'd thank her for creating the spotlight in the first place, and do what I could to take advantage of it.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jgrant
If I were them, I'd not be pissed at her for "hogging" the spotlight, I'd thank her for creating the spotlight in the first place, and do what I could to take advantage of it.
Yeah, like Piquet Jr spinning her into the infield!

Actually I do agree with you. It happens all the time in other sports and is understood by the teams and the fans. Gretzky to the LA Kings, A-Rod to the Yankees...the list goes on and on. What is so wrong with it and why should racing be any different?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:00 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Danica brings viewers to that series regardless if she's off the podium. She brings attention for a multitiude of reasons, all leading to better TV ratings. The naysayers are just jealous, in my humble opinion.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:36 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by VaSteve
Yup, I'd be pissed if I was one of the other 42 drivers, let alone one of the other 5 women. I watched it with my wife, and explained it was sort of the feeding frenzy that goes on in a car forum like this when I woman joins. Dudes are all over her. LOL
36 out of those 42 should just STFU because in her first race in a stock car, she beat them all.... including getting bumped off the track and making back up that ground she lost.

Danika could win the next 10 titles in a series and there would be people out there that say, "Yea, well, she's got the best equipment, or it's not this or that series". What exactly is she doing to **** people off? Does she not work hard enough? Is she too lucky?

She impressed. Period. AND can only get better.

I could care less about ARCA, never seen a race EVER, but I watched that one because of her.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Go Danica!

I gotta agree with the pro Danica sentiment. The other drivers got loads more exposure because she was in that race. And she did well. Particularly having come out of an Indy car. She went from one of the best handling cars to one of the worst. Like jumping out of a Boxster and into a Checker Cab.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a Danica fan. The attention she has brought to racing is very very good for the sport. Like it or not, she brings fans and money.

My 7 year old daughter always asks me if there are any girls in whatever race I'm watching and from time to time I get to say yes and she watches with me for a while. This makes me happy.

Anyone else a little stunned that there were five women in the race. I think that's awesome as the father of the next Danica
Old 02-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
What exactly is she doing to **** people off? Does she not work hard enough? Is she too lucky?
She wins one race in her whole career, big deal. If hanging in the middle of the pack your entire racing life is what you guys want to slobber over yourselves about, have at it.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:21 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Streak

My 7 year old daughter always asks me if there are any girls in whatever race I'm watching and from time to time I get to say yes and she watches with me for a while. This makes me happy.
She wants to be a female racer just like Dad?
Old 02-07-2010, 09:39 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Nice run for Danica. She looked really racy at the end, aggressively bumping Ricky Carmichael for final position. Gaining more respect for her as a racer.
I completely agree. A very impressive job racing in a new platform. Getting punted off the track, saving it, and recovering position. Not many people would be dissatisfied with a result like that. I've been a fan of hers for quite a while now, and just like Larry, my respect for her just grew some more.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by VaSteve
She wants to be a female racer just like Dad?
You are super classy

BTW, when is your first race you big talker you?
Old 02-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
She wins one race in her whole career, big deal. If hanging in the middle of the pack your entire racing life is what you guys want to slobber over yourselves about, have at it.
Land Jet, just please, for the love of God, get over it.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:14 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astroman
Land Jet, just please, for the love of God, get over it.

Again, I thought she drove great I think she is bringing big hype to the sport and that can only be good. My wife looked at me when watching and asked why were the announcers stroking her so much when there was another female driver in 3rd place ahead of her. If anything I think it could put more pressure on her than she is already feeling from sponsors this early on. I can't wait for the couple of road courses they run where she will definitely be the front runner.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:33 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Looks like D/E/F class at the Glen.
Difference is everyone in D/E/F would like to hit that.

Quick Reply: Danica First NASCAR Race Recap