Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes: 1 piece vs 2 piece fixed vs 2 piece floating. Plus bonus ABS question :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

www.colemanracing.com. VCI use to use them as his source for rotors many years ago.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:23 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks Vaughan. I guess to qualify this particular car, it is a road/track car but it's not one I am going to be buying an expensive current ABS unit for. So then my options are to either leave this '86 without any ABS or swap out the one from my crashed '89. Based on the replies I've had on various threads I feel that there is more to be gained than lost by having the old school ABS. I don't plan on getting stuck into abs on every corner. In fact I really don't recall feeling it at work on the track at all. Maybe there have been those little squeaks under brakes when there are bumps and I might have flat spotted some tyres but my unit didn't let that happen? My only real issue at the moment is my budget. So doing the swap will not be cheap if it takes a day or so to do. We'll see.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Patrick,

If youre not doing the labor yourself (ABS swap from wreck to new tub) it may be prohibitively expensive to pay a shop to do it.

I would estimate maybe two+ shop days to remove the wiring harness, sensor wires, brake lines, pump, brain, trailing arms and front spindles and hubs from the wreck; remove those same non-abs components from the new car; then fabricate a mounting bracket for the pump and modify the fender apron/body to fit (best to pull the fender to do this); and install all the ABS components into the new car.

Especially if the shop has not done the job before, it will probably take longer.

Some of the detail work, like pulling the wiring harness to the fuse box (which will be required on an '86) and installing the fuse plug in the box is time consuming. Even moreso if the car has the interior, dash, HVAC installed.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:12 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Jim, it will be having all the suspension switched over anyway. Putting all the 89 stuff into the 86 car so I can run my brakes and wheels + REdge arms etc so I guess a bunch of this work is being carried out anyway. A bracket will have to be made up but the cars will be stripped so I'm thinking there is no better time. I am quite torn on this issue. We have decided to assess it when the cars are stripped and go from there.

Another thing I was thinking. Many people have said I should put in an ABS reset switch for when it may cut out. I never had it cut out in the past but that doesn't mean it can't happen I guess. I bang over the ripples too, getting off the ground and down again so if it was going to cut out you would think it had have done it by now. I was thinking though, if it sends a signal to a warning light on the dash, and then you could manually re set it via a switch, why couldn't one build in an auto re set?

Quick Reply: Brakes: 1 piece vs 2 piece fixed vs 2 piece floating. Plus bonus ABS question :)