Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torsion bar car - how low is too low?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

For NASA (I would look but i'm lazy) can you raise the spindles and do a proper set up like Chuck at Elephant does?

Old 02-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Great picture Bill.

Should note that there seem to be two types of things folks call bump steer kits at times.

Steering rack spacers... these move the rack up. They help things some in the front, the amount depends on how much the car is lowered and the specific geometry of the suspension.

The other type of kit is made by ERP (Eisenlohr Racing Products... sold by JWE/SmartRacing products). If you can learn about set up from Eisenlohr, you are tapped into the old school. There is also a version sold by Rebel Racing I think, and Elephant Racing... and perhaps others. These kits allow the tie rod to be attached to the strut with improved geometry such that there is less alignment change for change in ride height (bump and rebound).

I don't think that these kits are designed to fully restore the steering arm to horizontal. That would only be true for a specific suspension geometry. I think they are designed to provide improvement in the geometry.

The Puhn book explains all of that. And since these cars where raced for a long time in IMSA, there are plenty of folks out there that know how to set them up, likely even given the class-based constraints to which you have referred.
That's correct but both methods have the same goal, level the steering arm.

on 964 - 997 they use modified wheel carriers and outer tie rod parts to do the same thing
Old 02-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
For NASA (I would look but i'm lazy) can you raise the spindles and do a proper set up like Chuck at Elephant does?

GTS has no rules!
Old 02-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
GTS has no rules!
Old 02-01-2010, 05:07 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don ...nothing technical to add...you would save some fiberglass if you lifted the front...it is not a plow...just sayin....

Quick Reply: Torsion bar car - how low is too low?