Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking input on NASA Time Trial.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking input on NASA Time Trial.

This will be my second year as a NASA member (just HPDE until now) and I like the idea of time trial as a next step. It allows me to use my current car (no cage, etc.) but get a taste of competition (at least on paper).

I was an English major, so it's going to take a while before I understand the classifications/points system, but I suppose that's good practice too.

Anything I should know? I realize it's a lot closer to HPDE than it is to real racing, but hey, I get to put letters on the back of the car!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:24 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You will be TTE or TTD mostly. The 944 NA will not complete well in TTD due to the lack of hp. So best to work to ensure you are TTE legal.

Most 944 spec cars point out in PTD (PT and TT rules are nearly identical). However I have not pointed a full 944 spec build in a couple years. We used to be dual classed in 944 spec and PT. (Don't ask why it is a long story). The thing with TT and PT rule set is that to be competitive you will need tailor the mods to what works best for your car. Most build 944's end up in D because we dont' use a mod points wisely. This of course makes sense given our cars were not built for TT or PT.

So you will need to read the rules carefully if you want to be competitive and probably mod the car. If you just want to run and get lap times just point the car out given your mods and run in eiter E or D.

I can help if you have some questions on the specifics.

As for TT itself. It is a nice stepping stone to either racing or just the next level of track driving. Some will take the competition quite seriously and other just like getting times. The only key to running in TT group is don't hold people up. This means respect that the other guy could be on a flyer looking for his best lap to win. Realize this and leave room. Passing is 100% open in TT with no signals, but use them to improve communication. It makes everyone day go better.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:37 PM
David in VA
Instructor

My wife and I started doing TT last year with Nasa Mid-Atlantic. Absolutely love it, it's great fun. We run in TTB and are not really competitive with some of the cars in our class, they are running 2:10's on VIR full course. Those are full race cars, since we still drive to and from the track we are somewhat limited but manage to have a great time anyway. We generally give and receive passing signals most of the time but you do have to be more aware than at DE. It is a lot of fun running with so many different cars at different speeds, keeps you on your toes.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:03 PM
magnetic1
Racer

I believe TTE has more entrants. Competition makes it fun.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:31 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i'm reading nasa tt rulebook and it's just like scca's. damn verbose heh

so far i understand base class is:
944 8v: TTF + 14
944S: TTE + 14
944S2: TTD + 14
944T: TTD + 7
944TS: TTD+14

in order to stay in yer base class, u can have up to 19 points. and there's list of mods and point values on each mod...

so i'm starting at TTF+14,
orig weight 2779, current weight 2600. 179lb reduction +12
stock engine but modified intake w/ cone filter +1
test pipe +1
koni yellows +3
front coilovers, rear tbars +2
18mm rear sway +2

35 points ?

20-39 points is up one class.....so i guess i'm tentatively ok for TTE. 4 more points to mod hehe
Old 01-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

TTE has a lot of cars because some of the PTE racers (which we have a good group of) run TT sometimes. Low 1:27's are needed to win in TTE!

PTD has very few cars in both Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Did you replace the mufflers too? That is more points.

What exactly is done to the suspension?

How is your current weight 2600? It should be including driver.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:26 PM
krystar
Drifting

Originally Posted by Darren
Did you replace the mufflers too? That is more points.

What exactly is done to the suspension?

How is your current weight 2600? It should be including driver.
muffler iss....whatever's on there right now. can't verify it's oem porsche though hehe.

koni yellows
350lb coils in front
30mm tbar in rear .... pending install this coming week.
18mm rear sway
that's....about it i think

i might not be exactly 2600. last year i weighed at truck stop with me inside ~1/4 tank gas. 2610 or something. since then, added rollbar, swapped out one of the seats,
Old 01-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Nice...that's pretty light!
Old 01-22-2010, 10:10 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Darren is the guy to talk to, he knows all the PT points.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:26 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by krystar
muffler iss....whatever's on there right now. can't verify it's oem porsche though hehe.

koni yellows
350lb coils in front
30mm tbar in rear .... pending install this coming week.
18mm rear sway
that's....about it i think

i might not be exactly 2600. last year i weighed at truck stop with me inside ~1/4 tank gas. 2610 or something. since then, added rollbar, swapped out one of the seats,
When you change the springs or t-bars you will need to take points for them.

Also don't forget about tire points.

Most 944 spec build will point out in TTD (or PTD). Some can actually be pretty far into D. We do not use the points very well, but then again our cars are not optimzed for TT / PT rule set. The best place to run these cars is in E. We just do not have the power to compete in D. We can compete in E I believe. My 944 spec would be in D and I would need to add weight to try to make E. Not worth it for me.

Now the biggest gain you can get for free in TT is 4.10 final drive. These are free TT/PT so you can swap and really see a gain. Probably keep the tall 5th and still be ok. The short 5th swap is a 3 point swap.

Anyway 944 spec build are pretty stock, but we take points for shocks, springs, sway bars, tires both size and compound. The biggest points we ge are from weight however.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:36 AM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by David in VA
My wife and I started doing TT last year with Nasa Mid-Atlantic. Absolutely love it, it's great fun. We run in TTB and are not really competitive with some of the cars in our class, they are running 2:10's on VIR full course. Those are full race cars, since we still drive to and from the track we are somewhat limited but manage to have a great time anyway. We generally give and receive passing signals most of the time but you do have to be more aware than at DE. It is a lot of fun running with so many different cars at different speeds, keeps you on your toes.

How's our car doing?
Old 01-23-2010, 12:03 PM
krystar
Drifting

Originally Posted by M758
When you change the springs or t-bars you will need to take points for them.

Also don't forget about tire points.

Most 944 spec build will point out in TTD (or PTD). Some can actually be pretty far into D. We do not use the points very well, but then again our cars are not optimzed for TT / PT rule set. The best place to run these cars is in E. We just do not have the power to compete in D. We can compete in E I believe. My 944 spec would be in D and I would need to add weight to try to make E. Not worth it for me.

Now the biggest gain you can get for free in TT is 4.10 final drive. These are free TT/PT so you can swap and really see a gain. Probably keep the tall 5th and still be ok. The short 5th swap is a 3 point swap.

Anyway 944 spec build are pretty stock, but we take points for shocks, springs, sway bars, tires both size and compound. The biggest points we ge are from weight however.
do front coilovers and rear tbars count as two seperate +2 or one combined?
Old 01-23-2010, 07:18 PM
M758
Race Director

any spring change counts as 2. So you could do both or just one axle and it will still be 2 points.

Quick Reply: Seeking input on NASA Time Trial.