Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viper ACR-X (FAST!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:47 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Viper has never made money for Dodge/Chrysler, which is why it's scheduled to end production without a replacement. Take the political nonsense to OT.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911

The Viper has never made money for Dodge/Chrysler, which is why it's scheduled to end production without a replacement. Take the political nonsense to OT.

Actually, I was told by someone at Dodge (pre-FIAT) who was/is directly involved with the Viper program that they have made a profit on every Viper ever sold. That said, the development costs to make a successor car that would be a world-beater in the current supercar world & this economy are likely why no successor car has been identified.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 01-18-2010, 12:29 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Making money on each car sold, and the brand being profitable is two different things especially considering how many of the 03-06 SRT-10's went unsold with the increased production numbers. I still don't buy that they would have been trying to sell of a car that was making money. I do not think the Viper as a whole was profitable as from what I read they were trying to liquidate it at a hefty discount.

Sounds like a validation for the program to continue, but if it wasn't costing Dodge anything while simultaneously promoting the performance aspect of the company it seems Dodge would have sold something else first.

That's very hard to believe though I know you can't believe everything you read, however all signs point to the opposite.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Making money on each car sold, and the brand being profitable is two different things especially considering how many of the 03-06 SRT-10's went unsold with the increased production numbers. I still don't buy that they would have been trying to sell of a car that was making money. I do not think the Viper as a whole was profitable as from what I read they were trying to liquidate it at a hefty discount.

Sounds like a validation for the program to continue, but if it wasn't costing Dodge anything while simultaneously promoting the performance aspect of the company it seems Dodge would have sold something else first.

That's very hard to believe though I know you can't believe everything you read, however all signs point to the opposite.

All true. It's also possible I was misinformed out of bravado & brand loyalty!

Old 01-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
any pictures, i love that car!!
+1 Pure awesomeness.

Daddy want in a big way. Yummmm...

C.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:52 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Ran a 2:08.6 earlier this weekend at Sebring with Kuno Whitmer driving.

That's insanely fast for a car weighing over 3000 lbs.
Shows the value of a lot of downforce.

Peter
Old 01-18-2010, 01:01 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The real cool thing about those cars is that you can feel them coming especially when in pack formation. Tremendous fun when a freightrain hauls @ss thru Bishops and you are next to it. For me just a few seconds but man you could feel the energy coming off those things.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:35 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Asquared
Good thing Marchionne is calling the shots at Chrysler, somehow I don't see Obama letting GM make a car like this.

Oh, that's a good one! The ZR1's already knockin' on it's door... and if you think the engineers lack imagination on what to do with the car now... just wait...

Old 01-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Bye the way Viper is one of the only brands that has been profitable (maybe not by large numbers ) for Chrysler. Thats why there were so many players that wanted to buy it

And the car at Sebring had the exact motor and HP that will be in the X production run. The new Viper series will have a Cup format and should be awesome.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve113
And the car at Sebring had the exact motor and HP that will be in the X production run.
Mmm-kay...

And I'm sure the weight is exactly the same, too.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

I know the SRT guys who were at Sebring (just met with them in Detroit Sat. night on there way back from Sebring) and the new pres/ceo the car was the real deal . Real motor and real weight as published. The car was insanely fast. Faster then was even expected
Old 01-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I am sorry if I have a dim view of claims made just as order books open. There is too much of this in Nordschleife tests, too, with alleged "production" numbers that turn out to have been "enhanced" to get a publishable result that drives sales.

I mean...I am sure CEO's never ever shade the truth, do they?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I was at Sebring, that Viper was FAAAST!

Looks awesome and will do for the Viper brand what Cup cars and GT3's do for Porsche!
They were handing out sales packets, for 100K I think you get a fantastic deal.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:35 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Steve113
Bye the way Viper is one of the only brands that has been profitable (maybe not by large numbers ) for Chrysler. Thats why there were so many players that wanted to buy it

And the car at Sebring had the exact motor and HP that will be in the X production run. The new Viper series will have a Cup format and should be awesome.
All the interested parties and yet once Chrysler actually put a for sale sign up on the plant, they got nothing but a 5.5 million offer from a bread maker. Sorry but I you can buy that line if you want, Chrysler had gotten down to only asking 10 million for the whole brand, plant included and couldn't sell it.

Not only that selling 435 units in 07 and likely less in 08 and 09. How can you even recoup the development costs of the facelift with that let alone the complete redesign.

Not only that, they ATE a bunch of 05's and 06's that were sitting on lots when they released the 08's. (note that even after skipping a year of production they still had plenty of old inventory).

I don't know who's feeding the "profit" stats, but it wreaks of a lie. I am a fan of the Viper and hope it lives on, but lets be real here.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:58 PM
67FJ45
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the interested parties and yet once Chrysler actually put a for sale sign up on the plant, they got nothing but a 5.5 million offer from a bread maker. Sorry but I you can buy that line if you want, Chrysler had gotten down to only asking 10 million for the whole brand, plant included and couldn't sell it.

Not only that selling 435 units in 07 and likely less in 08 and 09. How can you even recoup the development costs of the facelift with that let alone the complete redesign.
True. This particular halo car doesn't make money. The corporate guys (and I know because I am one) can "re-allocate" funds to make it appear profitable. For instance, R&D and SG&A specific to the car can be charged to corporate in the name of "halo" marketing, reducing the product's below-the-line cost.

Quick Reply: Viper ACR-X (FAST!!!)