Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ken Block, Ford and the WRC, oh my.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:12 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, were the duke boys the original drifters?
Old 01-08-2010, 12:20 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I feel there is a difference to what he did in the Subie (playin') vs. what he'll have to do in the Ford (no mistakes racing). Good for Ken -- Good luck to Ken!!
+1
Film editing and take #2 or #3 doesn't work after you go into the trees or roll off an embankment. He might get spanked like when he did the ice jump and kinda missed.
I hope he does well, but it will be interesting to see.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I like "Kenny from the block." But he's not of Loeb's caliber just yet. He's professionally raced for only a few years. Competed in Rally America for 3 years, with 2008 being his best year. Last year he didn't compete.

I wish him all the best and what the Ford team is doing by entering only a handful of races in 2010 is smart. Go Kenny in 2011!
Is anyone of Loeb's caliber in a rally car?

Ironically "Nitro Circus" is on TV right now and Ken and Travis Pastrana are doing parking lot stunts in a Subaru. If it increases the popularity of rallying in the US I'm all for it. I wish them luck, it is going to be a huge step up in competition.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:09 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,153 Likes on 594 Posts

imagine ken and kimi in a "why are we in the WRC" showdown...

i'm all for ANYTHING that brings racing popularity up a few notches in the US. we need more racers, and race culture outside of LEFTCAR
Old 01-08-2010, 10:56 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Bringing US attention to the sport is a good thing. Maybe the kids who want the T shirts will take up the sport when they are old enough.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:20 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
i'm all for ANYTHING that brings racing popularity up a few notches in the US. we need more racers, and race culture outside of LEFTCAR
+1
Old 01-08-2010, 04:40 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Marketing, Marketing, Marketing With all the crap happening in motorsports, and all the insane exposure Block gets, i'm surprised it took this long for a real program to take advantage of him. He probably won't get many stage or rally wins, but he'll probably get some of the most exposure (although in WRC the fans might be cheering for his competitors realistically)
Old 01-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1

US definitely needs to learn there's life outside of left turn. And how much better it actually is.

I'm looking forward of watching what Kimi & Ken can do although Ken should beat Kimi since Kimi has practically no experience.
Something tells me though that the cojones in Kimi's pants are way bigger and that might be enough...
Old 01-08-2010, 10:47 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ken is a good friend of my buddy.

Lets remember that he has come quite far in racing in just a few years. All of the other racers/rally drivers have been driving since 5 years old.

If you read Black's press release you would see he said himself that he does not expect to be in contention this year, but is using 2010 as learning year so that he can become a better rally driver and learn.

That seperates most good drivers from really good drivers, the ability to know you dont know everything and the desire to keep improving.

I think its great for the US and fans, especially young ones as they might get hooked on rally and racing and in 10 years help elevate the sport.

Yes there are probably better younger drivers in Finaland or Europe, but just because you deserve to be in the WRC does not mean you will.

There are those how do and those who don't.

Also Is does not hurt to have tens of millions in the bank from building and selling one of the largest action sports shoe companies. $$$
Old 01-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Soooo right! I couldn't believe the hype that Nascrap was giving the 4 time Nascrap Champion! Whoopdy do! Like having a 4 time Nascar champion is anywhere near the same level as just about any other series.

Loeb's achievement didn't get a lot of press here but that guy is now a 6 time WRC Champion (i think it's 6) Holy crap! That's actually impressive not the media trying to make you think it's impressive. Loeb is possibly the greatest driver ever in my opinion. I put WRC over F1. Best drivers on the planet are WRC. I even think Loeb is above *gasp* Schumacher!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Celebrities in race cars, brings more attention and doe to the sport. Motorsport needs every penny it can get. Hopefully, he likes it, does decently and comes back. I'm all for it.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Streak
Soooo right! I couldn't believe the hype that Nascrap was giving the 4 time Nascrap Champion! Whoopdy do! Like having a 4 time Nascar champion is anywhere near the same level as just about any other series.

Best drivers on the planet are WRC. I even think Loeb is above *gasp* Schumacher!
Drivers? Maybe. Racers? Not a chance. I'd rather be a racer than a driver.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts

Drivers? Maybe. Racers? Not a chance. I'd rather be a racer than a driver.
So, just curious, where do you rank Nascar relative to other forms of motorsport? Sure its a specialized form of the sport but not a whole lot of racing actually happens. It's mostly a set up for the 10 lap shoot out at the end. with 15 to go someone always hits the wall and there you go. green, white, checker!

There's no shifting, not much braking, no right turns.

If racing is your definition where do you rank it?
Old 01-09-2010, 11:40 AM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Old 01-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,597 Likes on 832 Posts

So, just curious, where do you rank Nascar relative to other forms of motorsport? Sure its a specialized form of the sport but not a whole lot of racing actually happens. It's mostly a set up for the 10 lap shoot out at the end. with 15 to go someone always hits the wall and there you go. green, white, checker!

There's no shifting, not much braking, no right turns.

If racing is your definition where do you rank it?
Irrespective of how Bryan responds, I disagree with some of what you say. I think driving inches apart for 3 straight hours w/o driver changes, at 200mph, is real racing. There is a fair amount of shifting and a LOT of braking on the shorter tracks (do an image search for NASCAR brake packages at Richmond and other short tracks), and a HUGE amount of both at the Glen and Infineon (and probably Montreal as well).

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Quick Reply: Ken Block, Ford and the WRC, oh my.