Sponsored by:

World Challenge no longer on SpeedTV?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
In addition, with one of the mainstays of Touring Car (fielding 3 cars in 2009) leaving for Grand Am/Continental Tire Challenge in 2010, IMO the Touring Car series is about to implode.
The writing has been on the wall for a while IMO. Lots of talk about turning things around in the last couple of years only resulting in multiple holes in feet.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:14 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Yep they're having issues. Versus is probably the only network they could afford to pay for the races to be aired. Speed was too expensive, especially if not a series sponsor any longer.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yup, SpeedTV is no longer the name sponsor of (Speed) World Challenge. In addition, with one of the mainstays of Touring Car (fielding 3 cars in 2009) leaving for Grand Am/Continental Tire Challenge in 2010, IMO the Touring Car series is about to implode.
You can go ahead and say Bimmerworld - they posted the press release on their website a couple of days ago. I was going to start a thread about it last night. Any word what Nick will run this year? Have they sold any of the World Challenge cars?

I'm not sure what touring will be this year - the first two new body style TSXs Realtime built they went with the existing engine and the XTrac, so they'll have to run GTS, maybe the new ones they build this year will be true touring cars.

I didn't go to Laguna Seca, so I didn't get a chance to check out Tri Point's new Mazda3, I don't know if that would run TC or GTS this year.

We're building a new old TSX to run TC, but I don't know how many races we'll enter - we want to do Long Beach but they're limiting car count, probably won't go to St. Pete or any of the Canada races, so that leaves Watkins Glen, Mid Ohio, VIR and the season finale in [Can't Say].
Old 01-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kurt R
We're building a new old TSX to run TC, but I don't know how many races we'll enter - we want to do Long Beach but they're limiting car count
Hard to believe that they'll fill it up...unless a bunch of club racers start bringing their cars out to run.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

It'll be a combined race at Long Beach - GT, GTS, and TC all on the track at the same time. Every guy with a Viper Comp Coupe or Cup car will want to run. Then you get a lot of NASA racers like Graham Downey with his K24 Civic, and you'll get a full field. There were 18 touring cars at Laguna Seca last year.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:00 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt R
It'll be a combined race at Long Beach - GT, GTS, and TC all on the track at the same time. Every guy with a Viper Comp Coupe or Cup car will want to run. Then you get a lot of NASA racers like Graham Downey with his K24 Civic, and you'll get a full field. There were 18 touring cars at Laguna Seca last year.

I think that will end up being a great looking race with three classes going. US needs a major racing series that is headlined by GT cars. No DP's, no LMP's. Kind of like an FIA GT series race.

I'm looking forward to that...... Wait, no I'm not, I have direct TV.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by wanna911
I think that will end up being a great looking race with three classes going. US needs a major racing series that is headlined by GT cars. No DP's, no LMP's. Kind of like an FIA GT series race.
Continental Tire GS fits the bill to me...it's a modern day Trans-Am. Porsches, M3's, Vettes, Audi's, Subarus Mustangs, Cameros, Chargers. Not to mention that some top drivers/talent make up the "lessor" ST field as well.

Besides, a 50 minute sprint race with 3 different classes is just a bad idea. TC and GTS traffic will most definitely play a factor in the outcome of the GT race.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:40 PM
wanna911
Race Car

If GT raced with them I would start to agree, but the fastest class in GS is still pretty tame in terms of what is allowed on the cars. I'd like to see some major machinery go at it, and WC has that potential. I'd like to see them ditch the R888's too and go for some R6's at least.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

The tameness and stability of the rules is what has kept teams interested IMO...especially in this economy. I'll take tame cars with better racing, better teams, and better drivers. The machinery in WC is exactly the reason why it's on a course towards implosion. A team like Bimmerword had ~$120K worth of transmissions on their trailer (3 in the cars, 1 spare) alone, before you even start talking about the motors, 4-way dampers, etc, etc.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:15 AM
wanna911
Race Car

WC is dying because they kept on upping the stuff allowed on the cars instead of sticking to their roots. Then the budgets, like you mentioned, ended up huge and the TV coverage dwindled leaving teams with large bills and no sponsors. That won't work. All that while running on a tire that's not even remotely on the same level as the cars.

IMO less mods (like the originals) and more tire would have allowed smaller budgets and similar speeds.

Koni is still second fiddle to GA so it's hard to consider them as a headline series though I like the direction they are headed and like watching the races. But the cars are rather docile, I think more flare is needed for a headline series. Don't they have to run factory aero? I don't think that would cut it. Somewhere right between Koni and WC rules would be perfect.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
WC is dying because they kept on upping the stuff allowed on the cars instead of sticking to their roots. Then the budgets, like you mentioned, ended up huge and the TV coverage dwindled leaving teams with large bills and no sponsors. That won't work. All that while running on a tire that's not even remotely on the same level as the cars.

IMO less mods (like the originals) and more tire would have allowed smaller budgets and similar speeds.

Koni is still second fiddle to GA so it's hard to consider them as a headline series though I like the direction they are headed and like watching the races. But the cars are rather docile, I think more flare is needed for a headline series. Don't they have to run factory aero? I don't think that would cut it. Somewhere right between Koni and WC rules would be perfect.
IMO, this is only one of a number of issues that are dooming WC. Another is pathetic TV production values with even more pathetic "personalities". Another is abysmal broadcast time slots on the series' name sponsor's network (tells you all you need to know about that former "sponsorship"). Another is the SCCA's usual cluster**** of clashing egos & crappy marketing. And on and on it goes.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 01-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

The races will be televised on weekends in 2010 - 90 minute shows. Set your DVR now. They're going to try to schedule them to run either right before or right after IRL programming, usually qualifying.
HTML Code:
Race				Date			Time
Streets of St. Petersburg 	Sunday, April 18 	2 p.m.
Streets of Long Beach 		Saturday, May 1 	4:30 p.m.
Watkins Glen International 	Saturday, July 17 	11 p.m.
Toronto / Mosport 		Saturday, July 31 	3 p.m.
Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course 	Saturday, Aug. 28 	4:30 p.m.
VIRginia International Raceway 	Sunday, Sept. 26 	4:30 p.m.
TBA 				Sunday, Oct. 17 	4:30 p.m.

Schedule subject to change. All times Eastern.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:46 AM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.myp2p.eu Sports over the internet.

Quick Reply: World Challenge no longer on SpeedTV?