Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Car Drivers' Incomes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 04:09 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Last Turn Clubhouse (http://lastturnclub.com) has a really good series of articles in which they break down the costs of and then paying for racing. The articles are detailed, well-written, and I thought there were really interesting. ymmv

The costs of racing, pt1 : http://lastturnclub.com/index.php?op...=525&Itemid=88

Paying for racing, pt1: http://lastturnclub.com/index.php?op...=600&Itemid=88
Old 01-10-2010, 04:58 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkadi
I am told by a knowledgeable source that the Longs and Pobsts of the sports car world make 100-125K. I would have thought more but there is not much cash in sports cars.
I would have guessed more for Long, but what steady paycheck does Pobst have?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I would have guessed more for Long, but what steady paycheck does Pobst have?

I actually thought Long was in the 300K range so I was surprised also. Not sure what Pobst is doing this year, but in the last several years he has driven regularly in several different series. He is like a racing mercenary
Old 01-10-2010, 05:24 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

The Last Turn Clubhouse post was great. Thx for sharing.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Animus
Funny side note. I saw Randy Pobst at an event and when he left, he drove off in a ford focus or something similar. I thought this was funny, because it isn't very fast and it seemed fitting for a humble personality.
Probably a rental car.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:47 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
Nice guy. Wish I were his son, 'cause all I want to do is race, but certainly don't have the funds to do it.

Are you going to be doing any DEs at VIR or the Zone-2 Club race this season? If so, I'll swing by to say hello. Know I've seen your car out there.

Chris
Nothing really scheduled yet until I replace the Koni...
Old 01-10-2010, 08:41 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Randy P drove for Compass360 Racing in the Koni Challenge (Continental Tire) series last year. He drove a Honda Civic in ST. They said he was driving some other series but I can't remember what that was. I think he's also employed by APR Motorsport.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:50 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Probably a rental car.
He may have multiple cars but in one of his columns in 'Sports Car' last year he described his VW diesel that runs on cooking oil.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Randy P drove for Compass360 Racing in the Koni Challenge (Continental Tire) series last year. He drove a Honda Civic in ST. They said he was driving some other series but I can't remember what that was. I think he's also employed by APR Motorsport.
Yeah, he wasn't paying for the ride at Compass but I can't imagine he was being paid a whole lot either. It was his second ride. His first ride was in World Challenge in the Volvo. He had to miss one of the Koni races due to a conflict. APR was the previous year ride in Koni for him. I don't remember seeing his name on any of the cars in the Continental Challenge testing but I wasn't looking for it either. I know that he's not on the Compass roster, at least currently.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,695 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonH
He may have multiple cars but in one of his columns in 'Sports Car' last year he described his VW diesel that runs on cooking oil.

Randy is big on ecology & green stuff. I remember seeing him check into the same hotel near Mid-Ohio as I was in for the Grand Am races in 2005. When he went back outside for his luggage, I saw he had ridden his motorcycle there from Georgia.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 01-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Probably a rental car.
One of Pobst's cars is a very nice 996 Turbo. I heard he was flinging it around nicely last time he was at VIR.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:03 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Randy has a nice yellow 996TT. At Petit this year he was parked in the Lanier Speedway lot, not Road Atlanta paddock
Old 01-11-2010, 08:30 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Default Where IS the money in Pro Racing

OK, so most road racing drivers are paying their own way at the track. Sad. Only a few are paid and those few don't get big bucks for risking life and limb every time they get in a car.

We are all painfully aware of how expensive this sport is, so, where is the money? Who is taking the lion share?

Tire manufacturers?
Team owners?
Car manufacturers?

Could the pool be spread so thin nobody is really doing well off the sport?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Tire manufacturers?
Team owners?
Car manufacturers?
Nope
Nope
Nope

If we exclude the pay for a handful of drivers. Racing is mainly an advertising and brand awareness campaign to sell ordinary products. It can be discussed how profitable it is for a brand like Porsche who sells motorsports equipment. Porsche is probably one of the few very successful brands to have a working strategy and build up a complete setup from club-to-semipro ladder racing series and get an economy around it. But there is a lot of moon shining and enthusiasts involved there too.

Some of the last years discussions have circled on how the get the motorsport to move to development countries and get local brand awareness. Campaigning factory touring cars in Europe at least, is quite hard to fit in the marketing budget. Especially now when the manufacturers are under such pressure. Same thing with the subcontractors who carry some heavy development costs and have problems to cover them. I don't know the exact amount of racing expos that we had during the high season, but there are fewer and fewer participants.

Whenever I talk budget with team owners/manager, they always get something dark in their eyes. I'm yet to see an ordinary team to make "big bucks" out of racing. But I'm sure there is one out there..

At least that's my opinion.

Last edited by Rassel; 01-11-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:20 AM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the best of my knowledge, (opinion) it seems that money is spread so thin that nobody does well.(/opinion)
Team owners have to start out with a large amount of money but that pile only gets smaller. Tire manufacturers pay for sponsorship and then earn on tires sold to teams so they might do OK. Car manufacturers sell a couple of chassis but pay huge expenses for a high echelon factory team - no way they are making money on that. Tracks get usage fees. Parts guys sell a lot of parts for broken cars, etc but they always seem to surviving on fumes.

Check out those last turn articles, they do a pretty good job of breaking it down.

Quick Reply: Race Car Drivers' Incomes?