Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you pay a couple hundred $ to test drive a car for one session at a DE event?
Yes, and I'd like to test drive a race car (e.g. Cup Car)
64.41%
Yes, and I'd like to test drive an exotic car (e.g. Carrera GT)
33.90%
Yes, and I'd like to test drive novelties (e.g. Panamera)
5.08%
No, I wouldn't pay for that
22.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

A couple hundred dollars for a dream car ride on the track?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 03:30 PM
carvalag
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple hundred dollars for a dream car ride on the track?

There are a few cars that I'd love to test drive for one session during DE events, but I'm not aware of anyone who offers this type of rental. Yes, I found companies which rent a track car for a full day, but it's expensive... I'd easily pay a couple hundred bucks for the privilege of driving a Cup Car, a Carrera GT or a Panamera for only 20 minutes on the track. Would you?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by carvalag
I'd easily pay a couple hundred bucks for the privilege of driving a Cup Car, a Carrera GT or a Panamera for only 20 minutes on the track. Would you?
Risk a several hundred thousand dollar 'investment'( ) for a few hundred bucks? No thanks. Hell, I could go through several hundred dollars of consumables in 20 minutes in 2 of those cars.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't consider driving a Panamera a priviledge...I would need to wear a brown paper bag over my helmet to cover the embarassment.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:49 PM
carvalag
Track Day

Thanks, Greg. Yes, there's probably a reason why I can't find anyone who offers such a great deal, right? lol... Anyway, I'd take the deal if it was available, wouldn't you? Actually, for a 20 min ride in a Carrera GT I would be willing to pay more than just a couple hundred, maybe north of $500...
Old 01-04-2010, 04:08 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, Greg. Yes, there's probably a reason why I can't find anyone who offers such a great deal, right? lol... Anyway, I'd take the deal if it was available, wouldn't you? Actually, for a 20 min ride in a Carrera GT I would be willing to pay more than just a couple hundred, maybe north of $500...
Our first event of the year is usually the Roebling Road event put on by Florida Citrus in Feb of each year.

A year or 2 ago they were raising money for charity and were offering hot laps driven by pro drivers in both a Rolex GT Cup car and a Carerra GT w/ Cup tires on it.

It was the best $100 I ever spent...The only thing I was really concerned about was that the GT was much faster than the Rolex Cup car and only had 3 point belts, but they held in threshold braking from 165MPH...
Old 01-04-2010, 04:13 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting idea though the carrera GT math is interesting

$200 per session.
4 sessions per day (typical DE format)
6 days per week
52 weeks per year
$249,600 revenue per year

30 miles per session (90 mph average)
4 sessions per day (typical DE format)
6 days per week
52 weeks per year
37,440 miles per year

After two years you've barely paid back the cost of the car and you've put almost 80k miles and on it rendered it worthless. You've probably spent $20K-$30K in consumables too. Gas alone at 8 mpg is 4,700 gal per year.

I'm not shooting down the idea, I just thought the numbers were pretty extreme.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:50 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When we have charity events there is often an auction for a ride in a Cup car which runs a couple of hundred dollars. The driver is donating his time/money of course. I think the fuel consumption is higher than 8mpg. Another instructor/racer offered me his full race prepped GT2 for a 25min session last year and I easily ran up a 110 dollars in race fuel. I of course offered to pay, but it cost me a sincere "thank you" in the end. Your best bet is join a club and help out by volunteering at the track. This is one of those situations that is more of a gift or act of friendship than a business venture.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a charity drive at Race City in Calgary every year and all sorts of exotics show up and take the kids for rides. PLUS we pay a fee (donated to the charity) in order to do so and every year they have to limit the number of cars because so many people want to volunteer. I'm sure the same thing would happen at any track as it's just what we do as a community of drivers...
Old 01-05-2010, 07:50 AM
carvalag
Track Day

Nor surprisingly, the poll so far indicates that our community is interested primarily in driving race cars. By the way, there is a funny post by Jeremy Clarkson about how race drivers view road cars: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle2503695.ece. Outside of the Porsche and Bimmer world, I wonder whether people would like to test a Caterham, a Panoz, or a Lotus for one session on the track...
Old 01-05-2010, 08:04 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am sure many on this forum have already driven all three. We have such cars in our club, so I am sure it is the same elsewhere.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:29 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm no expert, but I think the insurance implications of multiple people (...unfamiliar with the car) driving the car during a single weekend would make the operation infeasible. However, rides as passengers is IMHO far more doable. Of course, I would jump at the opportunity to drive a fast race car (as opposed to my 944 race car. ) or exotic car, but I just don't see it happening. But a nominal fee to get a ride in one of these would probably be worthwhile, especially with a very qualified driver. But once you factor in all the consumable costs (gas, tires, wear&tear, etc.) I'm not sure just how realistically nominal the cost would be for numerous rides all weekend.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:38 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rides are one thing. Allowing someone to rent a high powered, twitchy car for a session is something I cannot imagine any sane business person putting together. What is the skill level needed to decently drive a cup car or CGT and how do you ensure that only 'qualified' drivers can rent such a car? That doesn't even address the **** poor economics of doing this.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Paging GhettoRacer....
Old 01-05-2010, 01:24 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Old 01-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Paging GhettoRacer....
I think he is too busy with his new girlfriend Jill.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-11-2010 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: A couple hundred dollars for a dream car ride on the track?