Sponsored by:

Window Nets: Ribbon vs Mesh

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 12:29 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Nets: Ribbon vs Mesh

I need to replace my window net. I have an expired mesh net and I really like visibility over the ribbon.

Any reason one type is better/safer that the other?

The ribbon is more widely used. What's the reason?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Can't speak for safety but I assume both are rated and approved. The mesh offers much better visibility IMO, and I swapped mine out the 1st year. Actually I think it was your car, when Joe ran it, that prompted my change!
Old 12-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

As an FYI for those who have "mesh" versus ribbon window nets, realize that it is often times very difficult for corner workers to see that there actually is a window net in place on the driver's window, as you speed by at 100 MPH+ 100 feet away, if it is a mesh netting.

I'd suggest that you tie a brightly colored piece of yarn to the netting, if you use the netting style. That would make the net visible to cornerworkers and thus avoid an inadvertent black flag for lack of a net.

For those with plexi glass driver's windows, such as cup cars, it isn't a bad idea to have a blaze orange sticker on the corner of the window, for the very same reason.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Mine is blue for that very reason, contrasts with my black car and is more visible. You could always paint a day-glo orange stripe or design on it too!
Old 12-29-2009, 02:09 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Have the mesh M&R window net in red for the 944...I like it...on the 964 i have a Schroth ribbon net. It is a little harder to see out of.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:20 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

Either net will do a good job of keeping your body parts inside, which is their job. The ribbon nets are much more resistant to cutting, tearing, or burning, and do a far better job of keeping large debris out of the cabin, but they are obviously much harder to see out of. Of course, most people don't consider that any side net is only as strong as it's mounting is. Makes no sense to cheese a great net in with some sorry **** cob job mount. EXCELLENT point on the contrasting colors.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Reporting Live from Brockville, Ont., Ca.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:14 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

My current net is an M&R w/yellow mesh. My wife bought me a black GForce ribbon (xmas). I held it and the mesh up and viewed across the garage, man, the what a difference.
Since both are common and acceptable I will return the ribbon and order another yellow mesh by someone. The yellow is easily visible.

They have a 2 year time frame, right?
Old 12-29-2009, 04:35 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
They have a 2 year time frame, right?
?
NASA is 5 years, I did not see anything in my quick perusal of the PCA rules.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:51 AM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hey;

Either net will do a good job of keeping your body parts inside, which is their job. The ribbon nets are much more resistant to cutting, tearing, or burning, and do a far better job of keeping large debris out of the cabin, but they are obviously much harder to see out of. Of course, most people don't consider that any side net is only as strong as it's mounting is. Makes no sense to cheese a great net in with some sorry **** cob job mount. EXCELLENT point on the contrasting colors.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Reporting Live from Brockville, Ont., Ca.
What! Who let you in? Too bad you're not in the Oakville area as we always have our racers pub night on Wednesday nights at 9 pm.
Back on topic. The coloured nets are a great idea that I will use for my next one.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:58 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John H
?
NASA is 5 years, I did not see anything in my quick perusal of the PCA rules.
Thanks, John.

I found that also. PCA says nothing about age of net, only that you goota have one. I may contact rules commitee unless Stewart chimes in with PCA requirements.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:41 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Ribbon/Mesh Window Net

Here's an alternative from Pyrotect if you want the best of both worlds - the webbing is spaced wider apart with black mesh in between - Meets SFI 27.1 spec - Available in: Black netting with black, red of blue webbing

http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/prod-1370.htm

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 12-30-2009, 01:16 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand the visibility argument somewhat, but at full bore with a HANS on, how much does this really affect a driver? I have a ribbon net and with a parabolic rearview and a blind spot mirror on the cage at the driver's A pillar, I have never wished for more visibility. Between the mirrors and the sound of other cars there... I have yet to be surprised by someone there. It's not like I can turn my head that far with a HANS on anyway.

Then again I drive a 944 that tops out around 93 dB.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I'm big on not having my vision blocked in any way (read my tirades on the mandatory passenger seat) and the mesh was a great improvement for me. As for the HANS, I highly recommend this -

Old 12-30-2009, 01:31 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually have a Hutchens Hybrid with sliding tethers. Sliding tethers or not... still am quite restricted over not wearing one.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:02 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by comatb
What! Who let you in? Too bad you're not in the Oakville area as we always have our racers pub night on Wednesday nights at 9 pm.
Pfffffff....

They let ANYBODY in this place! New avatar? You oughta work on that body roll... lower it a little or something.

Most people DO get used to the ribbon. The best setup is a mesh outside with a 3-4-point right-side net inside of it, especially if you do not have a containment seat.

Quick Reply: Window Nets: Ribbon vs Mesh