Sponsored by:

Sebring PCA Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:48 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TIM COSTA
Cause old farts like you, with bad eye sight, show up all amped up for the first race of the year and try and run a fairly difficult track in the pitch blackness of a south Florida night!!!
+1. Biggest race of the year, first race of the year, cabin fever, etc. Oddly, the amount of shunts was down considerably, I think, last year... due to some of the big egos staying home bc they lost all their spending money in the markets??
Old 12-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Sebring is amazing, tons of track time and a bunch of great racing...only reasons to not go is you've done it already several times, not in the budget, running the 24 or You're scared...all good reasons.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

BTW, better be ready for Your car to pass scrutineering, they are looking to find the cheaters early this year so they will be out in force.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:00 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sebring is very hard on the car. Lots of gear changes, braking, cornering and rough pavement devoid of any banking anywhere. Last year I went down to codrive the enduro in a rental and did maybe four laps total when the tired engine quit.
The Rolex guys come in there after the Daytona 24 fully expecting that whatever is left of the car will be totally used up after the 12 hours.
Still, it's a great event, at a historic venue in the middle of winter when we're horny as hell to drive....
Old 12-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Cause old farts like you, with bad eye sight, show up all amped up for the first race of the year and try and run a fairly difficult track in the pitch blackness of a south Florida night!!!
Makes perfect sense to me!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:51 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I've raced at Sebring the last 2 years and had a blast....The track is tough on your car. Both times I've been there the track will expose any loose or about to break components. I shared the car with a friend last year and he did the sprint and I did the night race and shared the enduro.

The night race is a blast but not for the "Faint at Heart" who do not know the track that well. Your mind will certainly play tricks on you, especially if your car does not extra lighting. You don't realize how much distance you travel at race speed. I spun running mid-pack last year and all I could see were headlights coming at me for what felt like an eternity. Luckily, the drivers in that race are experienced and no carnage occured.

It's an expensive weekend, at least $5k when you factor in all the travel for the guys outside the southeast.

In the end, I've always had a great time, never felt short changed with seat time and there's no better way to break up a long winter....

One final thing, it does get pretty cold in Sebring at night. The first night last year was mighty brisk.....
Old 12-23-2009, 03:16 PM
TREMPER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

The main reason we run a two sprint Saturday at the Glen is to give people more race seat time. The time in the car is the same whether it is two sprint Saturday or one sprint for the rest of the one sprint day is consumed by practice time...Personally I would rather race than practice. I am driving 1100 miles each way to enjoy the people, the great Sebring track..but I want to race. The two sprint Saturday does not affect the Sunday enduro for there is time on Sunday morning schedule for Enduro qualifying..
A two sprint Saturday is not any harder on the car than a one sprint plus practice time...time on track is time on track..I go to race..
My 2 cents....
Pete
Old 12-23-2009, 04:11 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mji911
I just reg. for the club race and found out there is only one sprint race. What's up with that???, you would thing with the size of the venue and the number of entrants the region would follow suit with all the other club races that have had great participation and acceptance and begin the season with multiple sprint races!!! What is everyones thought's and comments??
that's why I am doing the Sebring Winterfest PBOC event instead of PCA, it is just two weeks before and alot better venue.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:23 PM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the great events, at one of the all-time great tracks. If you haven't done it, you should absolutely go. An extremely well run event, which will expose weakness is car and driver (trust me, I have weaknesses in both, and they have been exposed). Paolo, to not go because there's only one srint is a mistake. My 2 cents- this is a can't miss for me, and I only do 4-5 events a year, unlike Crossman.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:40 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mji911
I just reg. for the club race and found out there is only one sprint race. What's up with that???, you would thing with the size of the venue and the number of entrants the region would follow suit with all the other club races that have had great participation and acceptance and begin the season with multiple sprint races!!! What is everyones thought's and comments??

See you there big guy! Signed up and made arrangements with Dan J today! A first for me. Can't wait to experience that track during the day and at night. Where r u staying?
Old 12-23-2009, 07:11 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Fred,to be allowed to race a night they require previous experience at the track......
Then again, with your proven track record they will make an exception.....
I have opted instead to take my 11 yo son to Rome to see where the new F1 circuit will be.....
You all enjoy and be safe....

Last edited by BostonDMD; 12-23-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:56 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Fred,to be allowed to race a night they require previous experience at the track....

then i just saved a couple hundreds...
Old 12-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I hope they change it to 2 sprints......... i agree on the enduro quali. That is how we qulify for enduros with HSR.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:33 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Change Your Avatar

Dude you can use Werkstatt toolman! TEAM ROCO...whatever!
Old 12-28-2009, 12:36 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Well Said

Originally Posted by TREMPER
The main reason we run a two sprint Saturday at the Glen is to give people more race seat time. The time in the car is the same whether it is two sprint Saturday or one sprint for the rest of the one sprint day is consumed by practice time...Personally I would rather race than practice. I am driving 1100 miles each way to enjoy the people, the great Sebring track..but I want to race. The two sprint Saturday does not affect the Sunday enduro for there is time on Sunday morning schedule for Enduro qualifying..
A two sprint Saturday is not any harder on the car than a one sprint plus practice time...time on track is time on track..I go to race..
My 2 cents....
Pete
Well said by a wise elder PCA gentleman. Pete do you think anyone is listening?

Quick Reply: Sebring PCA Club Race