Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

917 fever

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:46 PM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

come on guys! the orig 917s were driven at speeds over 240 mph and the men (real MEN) driving them did so with their feet out there, and with no HANS, and inferior helmets, and less fireproof suits. (and i think they were 225+ in the pouring rain!!!)

i'd drive a 917 in a new york minute, if given the chance! its a dream car of mine (its THE dream car!). i guess maybe i just don't worry that much about my safety; maybe i should. or maybe i'm just more like those guys racing back in earlier days; they knew the risk (many of their friends and companions were hurt or killed) but still they did it. and loved it (and very little pay!). i'd have been one of them, for sure....

hell, last month i was racing my Super Seven at the Turkey Bowl Vintage races, and on saturday they asked me to run up in the Sports Open Wheelers because i was too fast for the smallbore guys. (that was fine, and lots of fun; all of the FFs and the S2000s and the Mallocks were around my 'weight class'). almost none of the open wheelers wanted to do the 1 hour enduro, so i asked to be moved into Big Bore -- i wanted to have some competition, otherwise, what's the point of racing! so it was me, in my little Super Seven (under 1300 lbs with me in it and tanked up full) vs all manner of Porsches, Shelby GT350s, GT40s, etc etc). did i think about what getting hit by one of those guys might be like? (yes, i did. i'd have been crushed flat! lol!). did i worry about it much? (nope. i just drove. they started me from the back of the pack, and i finished 2nd overall to a GT350 mustang (i chased him around the entire race; i couldnt get by him and make it stick; he would just repass me in the straight and then drive very defensively). i guess i just don't worry about it very much when i'm competing.

to the OP, i'd say drive the 917 as fast as you feel comfortable; enjoy it (god its an amazing machine!) and take care of it. and my pic for the livery would be Vic Elford's #25 long tail 1970 LeMans car (i have a huge fondness for the long tail car's lines)

todd
ReidSpeed

PS oh, and the glorious sound! nothing sounds like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoQKJ...eature=related if i were building/buying a replica, i'd find some way to get that 12 cyl engine in there!!!!! (even if i had to eat Ramen noodles for 5 years straight, every meal!)
Old 12-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Pierre Martins
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well call me stupid if you like, but I've raced superbikes and 250 superkarts and I sure as hell won't be "parading" in the 917 either. I'll be giving it stick, that I promise you.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:55 AM
djb_rh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all depends on personal preference and risk/reward models. I'm not saying I'd parade it. I'm just saying I'd not push it 10/10ths. It has no cage, no fire system, and my feet will be in front of the front wheels. So while it'll be fun and it'll be plenty fast even not pushed (and still plenty dangerous, since as has been pointed out, **** still happens). But that's where my personal willingness lies with THAT car. I'll jump in my 400HP Cayman with a TT roll bar, seats, harnesses, fire bottle, and PUSH it. Or the Spec Miata. Or my RSX that Leh turned 2:09's on VIR full in. Or the NSX we're building next for the 13.

But an uncaged kit car with all those other liabilities? Nah, I'll just show it off and enjoy some spirited moments. More power to those of you who would or will do more with the same car. I wouldn't ask you to do anything but enjoy your own personal risk/reward model to its fullest! That's what I'm doing with mine.

--Donnie
Old 12-03-2015, 03:15 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

how capable are these things on the track? Handful? Or surprisingly compliant?
Old 12-04-2015, 12:38 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Fantastic bit of kit!!

We have a guy in our club down here who put together a 956 with a 993 motor (turbo'd). He built it himself but not sure if that was from ground up or from a kit. Nice car and could be quite quick in the hands of a pro.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: 917 fever