Sponsored by:

GoPro HD Hero Test drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 07:46 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts
Default GoPro HD Hero Test drive

I have some refinement to work on with the lighting.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLA272r6PBO All in all, pretty cool device.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLA272r6PB0
Old 12-15-2009, 08:53 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lighting problem is a classic case of sensor metering limitations.

Low cost sensors [CCD or CMOS] basically sense light levels at one point in the frame. Your interior shot shows exactly what happens with most bullet cameras, which have the same limitation. The camera will set exposure based on what it sees in the frame area where the light level is metered. The result is good exposure of the interior/completely washed out exterior.

Better quality cameras have wide dynamic range, which is marketing speak for light metering at multiple points on the frame [usually five]. The result in the same lightign conditions as your interior setup is that the interior will be a little darker but the 'through the windscreen' view will be correctly exposed.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:03 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Sounds great!

What happens if you aim the interior camera up a bit more, to try to get it to meter light based on the windshield?

I would assume it is metering largely based on the center of the frame.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Better quality cameras
Aiptek?? Quality??? Never really put the two thoughts together!

I know what you mean though, when I had a bullet cam mounted where my Aiptek is now it was horrible, but when I mounted it to my roll cage near the A-Pillar right at the windshield the quality/color was great..
Old 12-15-2009, 11:29 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Yes you have to do some trial runs and aim the camera more to the outside light or somehow move it more forward in the cabin so it meters outside light and not the cabin light. Make sure you have this camera in SPOT metering mode.

My wife got me this camera for Christmas and hope to try it out in the next few weeks.

Last edited by mdrums; 12-16-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:41 AM
PixxByTango
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool editing!! I have mounted GoPros on many angles in many places on cars, boats, Jetskis and aircraft. The suction cup mount won't work on a Waverunner past two Atlantic surf waves but it will stay on a Global Express XRS wing to 250 knots!

Here is my video from Daytona mounted on the roof, front bumper, rear bumper and left fender on three different cars.

Here is my video mounted on my 300+hp 2009 Yamaha Waverunner running on the Amite River in Louisiana on a glass water weekday, speeds up to 80mph gps.

And still my favorite on my Waverunner is this video of my Typical offshore day. The end of the video clips a flat-out run from being over 5 miles offshore with no music to hear the raw thrust/power of this amazing Waverunner in rough water.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 AM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

Very cool vids. They give me some inspiration.
I did order the rollbar mount, which will help me bring the camera forward and lower. Giving a better approach to the outside view. I tried both settings on the metering, sunroof open had the best affect, though not helpful at the track.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:36 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tango, what editing software are you using?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:49 PM
PixxByTango
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Tango, what editing software are you using?
Windows Movie Maker and saved as the XBOX file so it doesn't fisheye the video so much.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:02 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Aiptek?? Quality??? Never really put the two thoughts together!

I know what you mean though, when I had a bullet cam mounted where my Aiptek is now it was horrible, but when I mounted it to my roll cage near the A-Pillar right at the windshield the quality/color was great..
The Aiptek light metering is unbelievably slow. In a situation like Oak Tree at VIR, when coming from full shade to full sun you can watch the camera stepping through exposure settings as it gradually gets to something like a decent light level. It finally gets there, but its little brain is slow.

Quick Reply: GoPro HD Hero Test drive