Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Racing Schools?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:22 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ totally agree. i do that during the summer but this is a destination gig and i have the oppty to get a nice trip out of it.

it would be especially nice to have VR since i'd also get that personal security detail element out of it.

I sent a PM to A Wayne because he knows so much more about racing but have not heard back.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:48 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to consider a raincheck, there is a "possibility" of a very special program at Silverstone with some big names next year....Legends in fact (Patrick Long, Hurley Haywood,Derek Bell, etc.)

I did the one at Barbour and it was pretty incredible, so if it materializes it would be worthwhile, even if expensive.

Also, if you are going to drive Porsches all the time, then why mess with other cars, especially if time is limited and it's a hobby?

More grist for your mill!
Old 12-14-2009, 10:15 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
Also, if you are going to drive Porsches all the time, then why mess with other cars, especially if time is limited and it's a hobby?
I disagree with those for a couple of reasons. If one is into this sport/hobby in an attempt to improve, then they should take advantage of learning experiences.

So many of us (and I have certainly been guilty of this, from time to time) get to a comfort level with the car. We can be very consistent with lap times, but we are driving at cornering speeds that we have become accustomed to. But we are driving below the limit of the car, we just think we are at the limit.

1. Spending time in a car with higher cornering capabilities than our normal track car helps break through artificial barriers we have set up in our quest to go faster.

Driving a stiffer car demands that we learn to speed up our hands and other control responses. If we have developed to the point where we are just ahead of a street car, in terms of hand speed and throttle steering, when we get into a formula car, we will find that we are way behind the car. Time in a formula car WILL speed up our reactions to stay ahead of the car. As we get better and better, we go faster and faster.

2. When we return to a street based car, we will be that much further ahead of the car (anticipation) for having spent time in a formula car.

BTW - As I have advocated many times, the converse is also true. Driving a very soft car can teach us to feel things we would not otherwise feel. The wider variety of cars we can drive and learn in, the more lessons we learn for our own car.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
^ totally agree. i do that during the summer but this is a destination gig and i have the oppty to get a nice trip out of it.

it would be especially nice to have VR since i'd also get that personal security detail element out of it.

I sent a PM to A Wayne because he knows so much more about racing but have not heard back.

DUDE! El oh el!!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 12-14-2009, 12:11 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
I disagree with those for a couple of reasons. If one is into this sport/hobby in an attempt to improve, then they should take advantage of learning experiences.

So many of us (and I have certainly been guilty of this, from time to time) get to a comfort level with the car. We can be very consistent with lap times, but we are driving at cornering speeds that we have become accustomed to. But we are driving below the limit of the car, we just think we are at the limit.

1. Spending time in a car with higher cornering capabilities than our normal track car helps break through artificial barriers we have set up in our quest to go faster.

Driving a stiffer car demands that we learn to speed up our hands and other control responses. If we have developed to the point where we are just ahead of a street car, in terms of hand speed and throttle steering, when we get into a formula car, we will find that we are way behind the car. Time in a formula car WILL speed up our reactions to stay ahead of the car. As we get better and better, we go faster and faster.

2. When we return to a street based car, we will be that much further ahead of the car (anticipation) for having spent time in a formula car.

BTW - As I have advocated many times, the converse is also true. Driving a very soft car can teach us to feel things we would not otherwise feel. The wider variety of cars we can drive and learn in, the more lessons we learn for our own car.
That is a great answer to my question and very, very valid.

However, when you have driven a lot of stuff and tried a lot of different things sometimes you just get to the point that you realize you were not "built" to go any faster... hence the hobby/comfort perspective versus the "racing" edge.

It all comes down to where you are on the learning/learnable curve, and your penchant for the attendant risk and related costs. If you want to go the edge, you have to be prepared to go over the edge, as many here can attest.

As always horses for courses! That's why there are spectators, drivers and wannabes.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:40 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,199 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver

sunday driver- I agree with you 100%. That is why I've been focusing on driving formula cars the last few months, because I figure that it is the faster way to my ceiling of development. Racing is the best instructor, especially in open cockpit/formula cars because it teaches and demands a precision that is helpful in any car, but rarely seen in people who just drive street cars exclusively...especially in the "track day" scenario.

Also about driving soft cars- my sloppy mx-5 cup car compared to the jim russell car (300hp slicks aero etc) and the skip barber car has taught me about how to use slow hands when it's time to use slow hands.

each car is different, and just like driving a lot of new tracks makes it easier to learn new tracks faster, driving different cars is totally important in the scheme of developing as a driver.

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
That is a great answer to my question and very, very valid.

However, when you have driven a lot of stuff and tried a lot of different things sometimes you just get to the point that you realize you were not "built" to go any faster... hence the hobby/comfort perspective versus the "racing" edge.

It all comes down to where you are on the learning/learnable curve, and your penchant for the attendant risk and related costs. If you want to go the edge, you have to be prepared to go over the edge, as many here can attest.

As always horses for courses! That's why there are spectators, drivers and wannabes.
PMH- I also agree that how good you really want to be, how much risk and how much money you're willing to spend will ultimately determine what you're able to drive/race/purchase.

I've been 100% committed to getting to my ceiling as a driver in the last 2 years and have been 100% a believer that learning happens a lot faster when you've got data and an open cockpit. it feels like the 2 months I've spent racing open wheel has taken my driving somewhere so far past all the track driving, instruction, racing in my mazda and porsches.

Quick Reply: Best Racing Schools?