Sponsored by:

25 Hours of Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 PM
FranzBlamRacing
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 25 Hours of Thunderhill

I had the pleasure of working with the guys from Jerry Woods Enterprises on the Mercer Motorsports 911 GT3 Cup car at last weekend’s 25 hours of Thunderhill. For those of you that have not the made the December trip to this event, you’re missing a great time. There are tons of different cars and drivers of all skill levels that participate, making it a truly unique race. Mark this one on your calendar for next year, and hopefully I’ll see you there.

-Thomas Blam
Old 12-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A nice write-up of the race is here: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...race-notebook/
Old 12-10-2009, 08:35 PM
sidney004
Intermediate

Do you know what hot pressures and camber they used for those Yokohamas? Looks like they changed them out every stint.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:52 PM
FranzBlamRacing
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sidney004
Do you know what hot pressures and camber they used for those Yokohamas? Looks like they changed them out every stint.
This isn't Thomas but he said the tires were actually being double stinted and the hot pressures were 28 all around. The camber was set before he arrived, so he doesn't know those specs.

Thanks for the link, Tom W!
Old 12-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Hmmm... taking any 911 race car to a race like this that doesn't have many is... taking a gun to a knife fight. Mix in JWE/SRP, some lizards and more recent factory iron and you have... victory.

I remember some friends that ran at Daytona only once in factory iron.... they put together a great team and wound up in third overall. I think they spent $200-300k or more, and got maybe $50k or less in prize/contingency money. And some nice watches and memories. Hopefully one day NASA gives out watches.

Congrats to the Mercer Team... I know they worked hard before and during, and hopefully they had a boatload of fun, despite the prevailing ambient temperatures.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:40 PM
dp35
Pro

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
I remember some friends that ran at Daytona only once in factory iron.... they put together a great team and wound up in third overall. I think they spent $200-300k or more, and got maybe $50k or less in prize/contingency money. And some nice watches and memories. Hopefully one day NASA gives out watches.
Funny you should mention that. The 25 Hour winning drivers all got watches. I didn't see them, and I'm sure they don't compare to the Daytona Rolex's. But not much could. I got a nice clock for our 3rd in class finish.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:54 PM
djb_rh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hmmm... taking any 911 race car to a race like this that doesn't have many is... taking a gun to a knife fight. Mix in JWE/SRP, some lizards and more recent factory iron and you have... victory.
In past years there's been a DP car run (and win) the 25. For all the P-car guys knew that car might be back to give it yet another go. *shrug*

Sure, it wasn't the most competitive field ever for guys in a car like that, but they went out and did it. It is what it is...a 25 hour race in December at a track only hard core racers have ever even heard of. But until you put your own effort together and go beat them, well, it's pretty cruddy to talk crap.

--Donnie
Old 12-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Donnie: I think you misinterpret Mike, he's not talking crap he's simply pointing out that the two '09 cups were the two most capable cars there for a 25 hour race. Mike knows many on the Mercer team and IIRC Mike helped his friends on the 'Lost in Spaced" team win the race a few years ago.

I was talking to Rich Walton earlier this week about the win (he was one of the drivers on the Mercer team) and he made the same gun to a knife fight analogy. There was another 911 reminiscent of the entry that Rich drove with a couple years ago when the won that finished well that Rich complimented (all guys that Mike and I know well from our PRC racing) but they just weren't in the same league as the two cups.

I don't know about Wolf, but Johannes is very familiar with Thunderhill.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Tom. Yeah, my post was misinterpreted. I had a similar conversation with my friend Rich about this months ago... we chuckled about it. I think it is just plain hard to beat a Porsche in an endurance race like this. I like all cars, but especially Porsches, and they turn out a heck of a good endurance racing car.

I think we may see some DP cars run in the future, but likely not active ones as they are usually wrapped up in development and testing for the Daytona race this time of year. But someday there may be enough of them around. I know that there are some DP motors around... heck even some Porsche ones right around the corner from ... anyway...

Some of my very good friends, including Rich, ran this thing three times and got second, first and second in a 70's 911 with a 3.6. They spent many thousands of dollars (though likely less than Mercer Motorsports did). They were on TV after their win. They have an enormous, tall trophy. They have lots of good memories and stories and pictures. They did not do it for the prize money, they did it for the fun. They had boatloads of it.

Just like my friends that went to Daytona and got third overall. Those were some expensive watches (in money and perhaps other "costs"'). But they were involved in history making on several fronts. And their project, perhaps in some ways, catalyzed the formation of the lizards.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:40 PM
djb_rh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Alright, I take it back. I get what you mean now. It was more about lauding the platform, not about trashing the dudes for taking an overdog car.

My bad. I *completely* misunderstood what you meant with that "mix in..." part, too.

--Donnie
Old 12-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Yup. I have a lot of friends that participate in that event in all kinds of cars. I think what Jerry and NASA have created is a great event. I hope to drive in it some day, perhaps in a very unique Porsche racing car... we'll see. Sure there are lots of variables that affect the outcome, but it is hard to argue with the built-in merits of a Porsche in a a race like that!

Commissioner of baseball? Well, Bud is out soon?

- Mike
(from Milwaukee and has met Bud... uh, Mr. Selig)
Old 12-11-2009, 07:02 PM
djb_rh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yup. I have a lot of friends that participate in that event in all kinds of cars. I think what Jerry and NASA have created is a great event. I hope to drive in it some day, perhaps in a very unique Porsche racing car... we'll see. Sure there are lots of variables that affect the outcome, but it is hard to argue with the built-in merits of a Porsche in a a race like that!

Commissioner of baseball? Well, Bud is out soon?

- Mike
(from Milwaukee and has met Bud... uh, Mr. Selig)
You found the "joke" area of my blog. I change that somewhat often to random stuff that may or may not make sense. And yeah, Bud announced he's out after the 2011 season, IIRC.

Anyway, I wish we had a longer race on the east coast. I run the 13 hour at VIR every year (won in Spec Miata in 2005), but we need more races like this around. The Tropical 12 seems to have died, which kind of sucks. I've almost flown out to the 25 a couple times, but just couldn't work it all out and get some test time.

They're hella fun. We've been trying to win the overall for a few years in an Acura RSX, but can't get the dumb thing reliable enough. Well, we can, but not without spending stupid money on some custom parts. Leh had fastest lap time in the car this year, but that's no good if you can't keep it up, obviously. So we're switching to something different for next year, though I just can't bring myself to spend the money on a Porsche. Well, unless I turn my Cayman into a full on race car. *sigh*

--Donnie
Old 12-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Perhaps someday circumstances will lead to an opportunity for NASA to have a similar event out your way. I am sure that it is a massive undertaking for NASA and Thunderhill.

Thunderhill is not a difficult track to learn or set a car up for, and there are lots of friendly folks that can help with logistics, et cetera. So come on out and run it sometime.

The year the '74 911/3.6 won, they almost missed out due to a broken stub axle. The driver, I think Rich Walton, noticed an issue, drove straight into the pits and a clever crew person (Mat Lowrance I believe) made a very quick diagnosis. Mat is actually more than clever and built the engine for that car. He built my car and several others out here.

Anyway, they had another complete/nearly complete 70's 911 car standing by. I am not sure who turned the wrenches, but they had a lot of capable folks there. Including one of the drivers, Peter Smith (yes THAT Peter Smith) who is unbelievably fast with a set of tools. Lightning fast. You wouldn't believe how fast. They swapped in a used part from the spare car and went on to the win. I think that failed stub axle was as old as the car.

Believe me-- they were lucky to catch it. My wife broke a hub/stub axle under load at Thunderhill in June and was not as lucky-- the right rear tire said "see ya," and there was myriad damage and a flash fire.

Anyway, it takes a lot of skill, planning and luck to win such a long race. I am not surprised reading that Thomas Blam was involved. There is a nice article on him in a recent Pano. That was a pro-level effort at this year's race. Some of these folks have endurance racing roots all the way back to the days the 935 world championship team was run out of Mountain View supported by local PCA volunteers. Kind of a neat pedigree. Folks campaigning Miatas could not likely boast of having such experienced folks on their projects.

I hope to drive in the 25 hours some day if the program is right... perhaps in a very unique Porsche car with some really cleaver, pro engineering... being developed right in my neighborhood...
Old 12-11-2009, 10:28 PM
sidney004
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FranzBlamRacing
This isn't Thomas but he said the tires were actually being double stinted and the hot pressures were 28 all around.
Thank you very much; it is amazing that the tires were double stinted, the rears still had 5/32nds on the wear dots and the wear was completely uniform. They look like new!
Old 12-12-2009, 02:16 AM
FranzBlamRacing
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sidney004
Thank you very much; it is amazing that the tires were double stinted, the rears still had 5/32nds on the wear dots and the wear was completely uniform. They look like new!
Yes, Sidney... When a car is dialed in correctly, not only does it get maximum grip from a set of tires, but also maximum life. Hot and cold pressures and temps during test and practice sessions are critical to car set-up, and can make a huge difference in how a tire wears and performs over the the course of a race. Again, this isn't Thomas, but I was a tire man for a few years!

Quick Reply: 25 Hours of Thunderhill