Sponsored by:

BEST........DE........EVER!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by facelvega
So, what is the value of great teachers? Smoothness, better line, proper turn-in points - these are nice, but should translate into better lap times.

It is now over three months since the Pat Long DE/Clinic. Last weekend, I finally got back out on track for the first time, back on my home track at TWS. Last year, I managed to work in 12 track days there. During 2009, I moved my consistent "clear track" lap time from 2:09 down to 2:07.

What was the effect of the high-level training at MSR? Even after being out of the car for three months, by the end of the first day, I was turning consistent 2:02 laps on a clear track. My best was a 2:01.7! This is in the same car, still on street tires and fairly stock suspension. As an engineer, I dearly love to turn a wrench, and have been tempted to spend more money modifying the car to be faster. Bang for the buck wise, good instruction made me a lot faster than car mods would have.

WELL-DONE!!!!!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-11-2010, 05:17 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Do you drive a yellow caymen in the yellow group? If so, I recall talking to you about moving into white. The run I saw looked great, I was impressed.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:21 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Wait, what's that sound?"

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Jeff, there is a good chance we will do more of them in 2010, perhaps at an additional location in your part of the country.

Where ????? Don't be a tease.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
"Wait, what's that sound?"

Where ????? Don't be a tease.

Dunno yet. Sorry. If I did, I'd tell. Looks like I will be at RA in early March, however.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

Are you going to try a comeback at the Glen? Mr. Chicken awaits!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Are you going to try a comeback at the Glen? Mr. Chicken awaits!
Hahaha! I will be there coaching at Cups & Saucers. Beyond that, not certain.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:09 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by facelvega
So, what is the value of great teachers? Smoothness, better line, proper turn-in points - these are nice, but should translate into better lap times.

It is now over three months since the Pat Long DE/Clinic. Last weekend, I finally got back out on track for the first time, back on my home track at TWS. Last year, I managed to work in 12 track days there. During 2009, I moved my consistent "clear track" lap time from 2:09 down to 2:07.

What was the effect of the high-level training at MSR? Even after being out of the car for three months, by the end of the first day, I was turning consistent 2:02 laps on a clear track. My best was a 2:01.7! This is in the same car, still on street tires and fairly stock suspension. As an engineer, I dearly love to turn a wrench, and have been tempted to spend more money modifying the car to be faster. Bang for the buck wise, good instruction made me a lot faster than car mods would have.

That is great to hear! Congrats!

I keep thinking that returning to the track after the long winter will feel more like being Bill Murray in Groundhog Day - back to square 1 every day.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:41 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by TRT41
Do you drive a yellow caymen in the yellow group? If so, I recall talking to you about moving into white. The run I saw looked great, I was impressed.
Yep, that's me, and thank you very much. I will talk to my group leader at the next DE to see about promotion. While I hoped to be faster, the results kind of caught me by surprise (the good kind of surprise - usually my surprise is going backwards off of T7). See you next time!

Old 02-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Jim,
Congrats!!
Patrick and I are working on the next one. the venues are limited since we try to only use ones where You can push the edges with little risk to Drivers, Instructors or equipment. The limiting factor is his availability, I will post here as soon as we hone in on the next one.

Great Instruction is invaluable, I can't believe all I learned driving the 24. Great lessons from the best in the world, each lap...hard to describe all I learned.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:02 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
.....Patrick and I are working on the next one. ....

... I can't believe all I learned driving the 24. Great lessons from the best in the world, each lap...hard to describe all I learned.
Glen, looking forward to the next one. We were watching the 24 - along with the driving lessons, I will want to hear more about the use of duct tape in race car design....

Old 02-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Impressive wasnt it...lol.
I can say that I spun in the busstop and got slapped by Pruett in 5, other than that I dont own much of the ductape...The busstop was a hairball situation, glad of no contact. The Pruett slap, I believe, was retaliation from him being spun earlier by a teammate in 2. He had a BUNCH of room, I drove all the way into the grass to try to avoid it and he drove into me. Now I know to give even more room, didnt make any sense until we compared notes and found the earlier incident.

Found 53's with the ductape, splitterless, no headlight cover ripped off rear bumper aero kit Sunday am and am VERY pleased with that. Likely know where steady 52's and a 51 are now as a result.

Raised 374k for the Childrens Tumor Foundation and met some REAL HEROES! These kids are amazing, I will likely do it again everytime I can. 1 in 3000 kids has the illness and I will do all I can to make sure everyone knows it and tries to help. This was a great way to do it.

Props to Patrick Long, Darren Law, Kelly Collins, Andy Lally, Dominik Farnbacher, Jorg Bergmeister, Wolf Henzler and Pat Demsey as they went out of their way to spend time with the kids, sign hats , shirts and passes and just talk with them.

Lilly Anne was one of the kids there and she sat in the autograph line and signed hero cards for all the fans with Us....really beautiful.

All the kids signed my Driving Suit and the car before the race. I will donate my suit for the gala they have in NYC in November and it will be auctioned off for the Research on NF! Awesome suit OMP size 58, hope it brings a ridiculous sum!!

Congrats again Jim, I remember when You and I had the email exchange prior to the event and I am so glad You made it. Bravo!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:28 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Dunno yet. Sorry. If I did, I'd tell. Looks like I will be at RA in early March, however.

BMW club?

Jenk is in that event. I haven't heard many good things about them so I haven't bothered with their events.

Maybe I can bum a ride with you. Or that's probably not allowed by them either.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

BMW club?

Jenk is in that event. I haven't heard many good things about them so I haven't bothered with their events.

Happy to take you around. I believe they will allow instructors to give rides to all who have the wristband, but I am not 100% certain. They may mandate only those registered for the event. But if it can be done, I will do it!

Old 02-12-2010, 02:22 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW club?

Dez, must be "Sometimer's" distorting your memory.

As I recall... The first time I met you was at R/A during a BMW event.

Hhmmm... I think you were a spectator at that time.

BMW does run GOOD EVENTS.

Saturday & Sunday is strictly DE with safety being the priority !!!

BMW's Friday/open track day is ALWAYS FUN !!!

Attendance on Friday is limited to instructors and approved Advanced drivers.

Dave's right, get a wrist band and you can catch a ride with an instructor.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:53 PM
wanna911
Race Car

No, I've heard from several BMWCCA racers who don't even like BMW club. They take experienced racers and stick them in novice. Great that safety is top priority, as it should be, but there is a LOT of traffic and lines of 8-10 cars, at least at Road Atlanta there always is. I don't see how you learn much running speeds not much faster than you would on I-85.

Acutally it's almost getting that way with everyone now, even PCA.

Man I miss the old Panoz days. Here's to Chin and MVP getting more weekends at RA.

Quick Reply: BEST........DE........EVER!