Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BEST........DE........EVER!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:55 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Nice video and sounds like a great day's driving/learning.
Your car sounds like it's not stock? Nice growl.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:56 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
At least my little 2.7L held its own before Patrick got behind the wheel. Those were TWO FUN DAYS! Man! Did I ever learn a lot! Can't wait for Version 3 to come back to MSR.
Toby,

One of the best moments for me was getting to drive nip and tuck with you for a few laps on day 2.
I needed over twice the horsepower to keep up, but that's minor detail.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:53 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks to Jim for posting! What a great couple of days for all who did it. What Jim is not saying is that he was the last man on the track literally. We all watched him at the end of the event and were all commenting on how quick he was rolling! His entry into the high speed corner(big bend) was not leaving much left in the friction circle at the end of day two! I believe everyone grew leaps and bounds who ran and no we don't send you home if you spin...lol
Old 11-30-2009, 01:57 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Oh yes and btw, one of our other participants just won the Ferrari Challenge last week! Congrats Mark!!!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 08:19 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
....Your car sounds like it's not stock? Nice growl.
Thanks, the sound (and some of the power) comes from the Capristo exhaust system. It has a dump valve, so over 4000 RPM it is basically a straight pipe exhaust....
Old 11-30-2009, 10:48 AM
redcar1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Glen,
And I 100% agree with everything posted about the DE.
It was truly a world class event and would've been fantastic at any price.
Thanks so much to Glen for putting this together!!
Mark
Old 11-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

That's some nice run-off you have there. Good for pushing it and learning from errors.
You can also see the next corner which is novel.

I had Nic Jonsson drive with me once at Road Atlanta but there, Armco and/or concrete and air-ambulance await your mistakes.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:34 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redcar1
Thanks Glen,
Mark
Congrats on the win Mark!

By the way, here's what Patrick had to say about the Ferrari Challenge car (and Toby's air-cooled 911).

http://www.vimeo.com/7889643

I'm sure he meant no disrespect guys; he was just happy to be in a GT3. In fact, he later said "that Ferrari was on rails". There was indeed a very cool collection of cars in attendance!
Old 11-30-2009, 03:53 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice video, I loved watching the difference!!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Chulo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Thanks to Jim for posting! What a great couple of days for all who did it. What Jim is not saying is that he was the last man on the track literally. We all watched him at the end of the event and were all commenting on how quick he was rolling! His entry into the high speed corner(big bend) was not leaving much left in the friction circle at the end of day two! I believe everyone grew leaps and bounds who ran and no we don't send you home if you spin...lol
Thanks again, Glen for hosting this. We all did learn a lot. Of course, it was a good thing no one got sent home for spinning. Those 964s have such a twitchy rear end, don't they? Someone told me the best way thru little bend was sideways... lol

As I recall, the last car on the track had a few squirrels under the hood... not a Cayman. Good times... It pains me that my car is still down there, and I'm not. Until next year...
Old 12-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Chulo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redcar1
Thanks Glen,
Mark
Congrats Mark on the challenge win! I'll look for you at RA next year..
Old 12-03-2009, 12:51 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

facelvega, thanks for the video. I like the trackvision dashboard - would you be willing to share it?
Old 12-05-2009, 02:24 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kristap
facelvega, thanks for the video. I like the trackvision dashboard - would you be willing to share it?
You are welcome, and no problem: it is here.

A few notes:

To use, you need to change the .txt file to a .properties file. I am doing a bit of math on the CSV file. After I get it from traqmate, in excel I add up x and y G forces to get a total G number which I put in a column labeled analog_ch10. I also calculate a surrogate for brake pressure. My car produces -.2G when you go OT on track, max braking is about -.9 G on street tires, so I calculate a 1-100 index for values between -.2 and -.9 . I put this in analog_ch02, I think. PM me with questions.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:47 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Excellent, thank you. I really appreciate you sharing this as my efforts at customizing my own dash never get very far nor very pretty.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:37 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Default PROVEN RESULTS

So, what is the value of great teachers? Smoothness, better line, proper turn-in points - these are nice, but should translate into better lap times.

It is now over three months since the Pat Long DE/Clinic. Last weekend, I finally got back out on track for the first time, back on my home track at TWS. Last year, I managed to work in 12 track days there. During 2009, I moved my consistent "clear track" lap time from 2:09 down to 2:07.

What was the effect of the high-level training at MSR? Even after being out of the car for three months, by the end of the first day, I was turning consistent 2:02 laps on a clear track. My best was a 2:01.7! This is in the same car, still on street tires and fairly stock suspension. As an engineer, I dearly love to turn a wrench, and have been tempted to spend more money modifying the car to be faster. Bang for the buck wise, good instruction made me a lot faster than car mods would have.

Quick Reply: BEST........DE........EVER!